Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,664 times

Advertisements

i have a few questions maybe someone could help me out i just purchased a 04 mustang V6 convertible and i was thinking of modifying dos anyone know if a cobra engine would fit into the stock v6 automatic and if it did what would i have to modify? any prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,311 times
honestly, you should have thought about that before getting a V6 automatic.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
I'll guess this is a troll post but what the heck, I'll take a shot at it....

Quote:
dos anyone know if a cobra engine would fit into the stock v6 automatic
Nope....you can't put an engine where there's already an engine. If you mean "will the stock auto from the V6 bolt up to the V8", that I don't know, so with that said read my next response...

Quote:
and if it did what would i have to modify? any prices?
Don't know, but with as many V8 '04 Mustangs for sale, it's pointless to try and convert a V6 model over to a V8 model. Save yourself the money, hassle, heache....find a V8 Mustang. They're everywhere.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
I'm assuming the OP means swap motors

There are various other parts in the Mustang V6 like the rear end and the trans eventually for example that cant take the power of a Cobra motor.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
well seeing as the cobra only came with a Tremec T-56 six-speed transmission to handle all the power putting it to the stock 28 spline 8.8 would kill it unless you upgrade to a Moser 31 spline axle.

there is a reason 03-04 cobra's still fetch low-mid 20's because they are still one of the best bang for the buck cars out there

Last edited by GTOlover; 09-27-2010 at 06:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmann View Post
i have a few questions maybe someone could help me out i just purchased a 04 mustang V6 convertible and i was thinking of modifying dos anyone know if a cobra engine would fit into the stock v6 automatic and if it did what would i have to modify? any prices?

a Cobra supercharged engine? You would have to change the engine/trans/rear/exhaust, wiring, etc etc. The cost would be easy 0ver $15-20k .. And your car will never be worth anything .. You will have a hard time even selling it in the future. It would have been cheaper buying a cobra from the beginning.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
If you are contemplating the swap, the engine you want to look for is the older 302ci 5.0 motor, like was used in the Mustang from 1987 - 1995. The V6 in your Mustang and that 5.0 share the same motor mount design and it is as close to a straight bolt in as you will find. The 4.6 modular motors use an entirely different subframe and engine mounts. To make one of those work, you pretty much need to swap the entire front end of the car.

As for the transmission, the stock V6 unit should work (needs an adapter bell housing) as long as you don't modify the 5.0. Same thing with the rear axle. If you do go for more power then you would need to change the transmission and rear. The good news is, there are a ton of transmission optins that will bolt right in. Also, the Ford 8.8 axle is a dime a dozen and you will have no problem finding a beefier rear.

I know a lot of people would question, why not just buy the V8, but this is actually a very popular swap to do. The car remains listed and insured as a V6, so there is significant savings there and the V6 cars are significantly cheaper to buy then comparable V8's of the same generation. Many folks who are looking to mod start with a base V6 car. Also, since the 4.6 with the exception of the S/C Cobra and 32 valve motors like in the Mach 1, are pretty asthmatic engines and don't respond well to mods, folks looking for serious power often fall back on the older 302 engine that has far more potential.

So, there are many guys who started with V6 Mustangs that now drive modified 302 powered cars and they actually spent less than buying a similar year GT and they have more power to boot. Of course, most of those guys go after extremely high mileage V6's so the car costs next to nothing as they are swapping out everything that matters anyway.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
So, there are many guys who started with V6 Mustangs that now drive modified 302 powered cars and they actually spent less than buying a similar year GT and they have more power to boot. Of course, most of those guys go after extremely high mileage V6's so the car costs next to nothing as they are swapping out everything that matters anyway.
Usually these guys are very knowledgable in what they are doing and well versed with Mustangs of all years knowing what is compatible with what. Diagnosis of problems here and there after a motor swap are bound to happen and that would require a lot of back and forth to the shop.

Not to take anything away from the OP but if he's asking how to do this swap on this forum (non-mustang forum), I don't think he's going to be able to do this on his own and will pony up big money to get it done somewhere if he goes through with it. This would support the argument to just get a GT at a minimum. One other thing I forgot was a retune will definitely be required and possibly a different computer may be needed as well. Just things that add up in cost you should consider

Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well seeing as the cobra only came with a Tremec T-56 six-speed transmission to handle all the power putting it to the stock 28 spline 8.8 would kill it unless you upgrade to a Moser 31 spline axle.

there is a reason 03-04 cobra's still fetch low-mid 20's because they are still one of the best bang for the buck cars out there
Yup agreed...I upgraded my stock 28 spline 8.8 on my GT at the same time I put a new motor in since I was more than doubling my power. I could just see the rear exploding on me at the track if I left the stock one in lol

Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well seeing as the cobra only came with a Tremec T-56 six-speed transmission to handle all the power
The funny thing is, the T56 in the Cobra is considered the cars biggest weak point, followed closely by the IRS. Ford specced about as off the shelf of a T56 as you could find and blown transmissions were very common even at factory power levels. Look at any raced and modded Cobra and you are bound to either find a modded C4 automatic (serious drag racers) or a Viper spec T56 with hardened gears and synchros. Even the T56 in the 4th gen Camaro is a stouter piece.

Then you get to the issue of the IRS, again just about any modded and raced Cobra is sporting an 8.8 rear these days. The rigged together IRS was just a complete POS in a car with that kind of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive