Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 AM

780 posts, read 1,343,391 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering getting one of these vehicles ( not sure if it'll be new or used yet, most likely used, but again--not positive ) sometime within the next week or so and would like to know people's opinion of one or both of these vehicles?

Don't care about the looks of them--I'm not getting the car for show and not trying to turn heads with it obviously. I am looking for something economical more than a standard SUV would be & something that is very roomy inside as it will be used mostly for work whereas I'll be spending a great deal of time inside the car.

Anyone own or used to own either the Cube or Scion xB model?

What are your likes and dislikes about it?

Lastly, is it best to own or lease one of these?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
The Cube costs somewhat less to buy if you don't go crazy on optional equipment.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
I own a 2009 xB.

Pros: TONS of interior room (I'm 6'7" and fit fine with 3 other full-size adults in as well), great power, decent handling, proven drivetrain (reliability-wise), tows OK, VERY easy to work on, reasonably comfortable (i commute 120+ miles daily with no complaints)

Cons: CHEAP interior, so-so mileage, useless armrest (remedied in 2011 models from what i'm told), no real options or ability to haggle price.

Honestly, while the similarities between these cars are obvious, I don't know if I would consider them direct competition since the xB is just a bit bigger. The Kia Soul may be a more reasonable comparison to the Cube. The xB is kinda middle-of-the-road sizewise between the Cube and the Honda Element (which is huge).

Mike

Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
I own a 2009 Cube. LOVE IT!

PROS: Massive amount of interior room. Excellent view out. Ultra-comfortable seats, front and rear. Great mileage! Good ride. Excellent crash-test results. Handles very well. CVT automatic transmission.

CONS: Can't think of any!

I can't think of any reason NOT to buy a Cube. They are wonderful cars!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:09 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Also, Scion dealers are not allowed to negotiate on price. The sticker price is fairly low for what it is (and considering it's imported from Japan too), but huffing, puffing, and blowing the dealership down will not lower the price. It's in the franchise agreement. Dealer installed options (of which there are many) may be negotiable, but drive the price up to a point where something bigger might not be much more, like a Rogue, Element, or maybe even a RAV4.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I own a 2009 Cube. LOVE IT!

PROS: Massive amount of interior room. Excellent view out. Ultra-comfortable seats, front and rear. Great mileage! Good ride. Excellent crash-test results. Handles very well. CVT automatic transmission.

CONS: Can't think of any!

I can't think of any reason NOT to buy a Cube. They are wonderful cars!
Oh, I thought they were manual transmissions? Maybe a different model I'm thinking of.

What is it you like best about the CVT transmission?

How is it going over speed bumps? I'd love to get one of these things, but I do have 5 speed bumps at my place getting to my house, the highest one about 5-6". Do they drag over the speed bump? ( they look like a low-riding vehicle )

Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I would buy the Cube. The Scion is now too big, and has too big an engine (2.4 liter!) The Cube is JUST RIGHT.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I would buy the Cube. The Scion is now too big, and has too big an engine (2.4 liter!) The Cube is JUST RIGHT.
It obviously doesn't help mileage, but the 'too big' engine in the 2nd gen was the reason I didn't go for a used 1st gen xB. That thing felt like I was wringing every last ounce out of it just to get to freeway speeds. I see that the Cube puts out 122HP and has a 6-speed, though (the xB is only a 5-speed), so maybe it is the Goldilocks car here, depending on what you're looking for out of a vehicle.

Mike

Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Just was looking in the Consumer Reports auto edition, the Xb is rated a 68, the Cube a 64. The Cube gets better gas mileage, 28 to Xb 23, and the Cube is cheaper. The xb is a bit bigger though. Someone I know has a Xb, and says it's really cheapy inside, don't know about the Cube. Hope that helps a little bit.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I much prefer the Scion.

I used to have a tC, I loved that car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive