Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,163,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I'm 25, 6 years clean driving record, but that's in a different country, so I doubt it matters. I'd like to have it as covered as possible, within limits though, if some features jack the price sky-high it'll be a debate whether to have that insurance or not. It'll probably be through USAA. Are we talking $1000 yearly or like $5k? ..About 15k miles a year, I'd think.

IIRC you were complaining about speeding tickets a while back... moving violations are not considered part of a "clean record" in the States and will generally remain relevant with insurance premiums for, I believe, about 3 years. Doubt it will carry over but if you have any from living over here it will remain. Also, what is your driving history in the states? How long have you technically been licensed over here? The longer you have been licensed accident and infraction free the better your reputation will be with the insurance companies. If you are "off the boat" so to speak they will likely treat you as new driver. On the bright side, 25 seems to be the threshold age for big premium breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,283,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
IIRC you were complaining about speeding tickets a while back... moving violations are not considered part of a "clean record" in the States and will generally remain relevant with insurance premiums for, I believe, about 3 years. Doubt it will carry over but if you have any from living over here it will remain. Also, what is your driving history in the states? How long have you technically been licensed over here? The longer you have been licensed accident and infraction free the better your reputation will be with the insurance companies. If you are "off the boat" so to speak they will likely treat you as new driver. On the bright side, 25 seems to be the threshold age for big premium breaks.
Not actually in America just yet (another month or so), I have two tickets from here (Norway), but there's no way for any insurance company to get hold of them.

Minor traffic violations here aren't handled in court and you're never actually convicted or found guilty of anything. You simply accept the ticket and the question of guilt is not mentioned. I suppose somewhat like deferred adjudication works in America. Because if that it's not on any type of record anywhere. One is also 2,5 years old now.

I've driven in the US for 4 months before, when I was there on a tourist visa, but I used my Norwegian drivers license, so there's no official driving record on me there.

Do you think it would be cheaper to put the car on my 22 year old fiancé for now? (first couple of months we'll have to.) And have me as an additional driver? If that's how it works.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,163,426 times
Quote:
Do you think it would be cheaper to put the car on my 22 year old fiancé for now? (first couple of months we'll have to.) And have me as an additional driver? If that's how it works.
That depends, you should perform an online quote with various American insurers such as geico, statefarm, progressive, esurance, etc. It does not take too long to do them. See what they can do for you. Also never bother with an insurance broker, I don't understand why people do this. Poor driving records/credit??? I don't know just deal with the companies directly. If you do find that it is cheaper using her policy I wouldn't mention anything about an additional driver if you don't have to.

On the other side of the coin, how long are you going to be over here? Depending on your future plans you may want to start building up a history with American insurance companies.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM

747 posts, read 2,747,301 times
Quote:
Ideally I'd want a manual, I just found an 07 328ia with 22k miles for only $18900, which is why I ask.
No point being seduced by low miles for a car whose features (or lack thereof) will bother you every day for the rest of its life with you.

You can find an e90 with the right features in your budget. It may need some patience depending on where you are (some areas have a lot more inventory than others). Look for owners selling their CPO 06s - the good thing about BMW CPO is that the warranty transfers (unlike Lexus, Audi, etc.). If they got the extended maintenance plan, that transfers too. You should be able to find a nicely optioned MT 325 for ~17 or a 330 for ~19-20.

Quote:
What about Manual transmission 128i coupe?
It's the same N52 engine, but other than that, no idea. But there's a forum for every make and model

Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
That depends, you should perform an online quote with various American insurers such as geico, statefarm, progressive, esurance, etc. It does not take too long to do them. See what they can do for you. Also never bother with an insurance broker, I don't understand why people do this. Poor driving records/credit??? I don't know just deal with the companies directly. If you do find that it is cheaper using her policy I wouldn't mention anything about an additional driver if you don't have to.

On the other side of the coin, how long are you going to be over here? Depending on your future plans you may want to start building up a history with American insurance companies.
I'll be stateside around 6-7 years. Car will probably be insured by USAA, will check a couple others too though.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
No point being seduced by low miles for a car whose features (or lack thereof) will bother you every day for the rest of its life with you.

You can find an e90 with the right features in your budget. It may need some patience depending on where you are (some areas have a lot more inventory than others). Look for owners selling their CPO 06s - the good thing about BMW CPO is that the warranty transfers (unlike Lexus, Audi, etc.). If they got the extended maintenance plan, that transfers too. You should be able to find a nicely optioned MT 325 for ~17 or a 330 for ~19-20.

It's the same N52 engine, but other than that, no idea. But there's a forum for every make and model
Thanks bud.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM

I'll just continue on in this one, not wanting to spam the forum with several threads regarding related topics...

For anyone in TX (I know there are a few on here), if I buy a car out of state, from a private seller, do I have to pay sales tax on it?

Just as an update, I've made it across the pond now, and amidst all the marriage preparations we've managed to look at a few cars (though not had time to test drive yet) incl. a 18k miles, used Mazdaspeed 3 (2010 model) asking price $19k, a couple of Mustangs, a 350Z, a BMW 128i, which would've been perfect, but turned out it was a buy back from BMW, had something to do with the injection system, everything had been replaced w/10 warranty, but still... buy backs are... shady. Was cheap though at $18k, will be looking more extensively tomorrow, so might have some impressions to come back with then.

btw.. How much is it normal to haggle on the pricing here? I looked at a new Manual trans Mazda 3 iSport (2.5L) with a stickerprice of around $21k, the seller seemed pretty desperate for a sale and said he could def get the price closer to the $18k range, even at a cash purchase, which to me seemed odd, considering there's only about what? $1k mark up on these? They had a ton of cars on the lot though.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 PM

So how much point is there in getting an individual inspection of a vehicle that's CPO and has a maintenance plan up to 100k miles, if I'm bringing myself and another automotive enthusiast to look at it?

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,786,488 times
You know, honestly, if you are looking at such new cars, particularly if you are looking at CPO cars with a warrenty, if you and a knowledgable buddy will look at the car - I don't see much need for a professional inspection. I mean if I were in your shoes, and one of several guys I know went along, I wouldn't pay for a further inspecton.

Right about now there are usually some good sales going on, probably the best season of all was last week, but it's still on to some extent.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, honestly, if you are looking at such new cars, particularly if you are looking at CPO cars with a warrenty, if you and a knowledgable buddy will look at the car - I don't see much need for a professional inspection. I mean if I were in your shoes, and one of several guys I know went along, I wouldn't pay for a further inspecton.

Right about now there are usually some good sales going on, probably the best season of all was last week, but it's still on to some extent.
Yeah, I found a fantastic deal on a PERFECT 06 BMW 330i (in my mind anyway)

Had CPO and Maintenance plan till end of March 2012, Premium and Sports package, Xenons and the curve lighting, it was white, which is nice in Dallas, and a good 34k miles left before the CPO ran out. Would've been ideal as this first year will be the one we're most vulnerable for big car bills.

Sadly I when I contacted them at 9 am, someone had already been at it, and there was a sale pending, I'm guessing it's gone through, but I told him to let me know in case the deal fell through.

Best thing of all is that model doesn't have the HPFP issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive