Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most impressive flagship model?
Mercedes-Benz S550 25 27.78%
BMW 760Li 12 13.33%
Lexus LS460 14 15.56%
Acura RL 2 2.22%
Cadillac DTS 6 6.67%
Audi A8 21 23.33%
Infiniti Q45 2 2.22%
Lincoln Town Car 4 4.44%
Jaguar XJ 4 4.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
How do you justify this? What is your criteria... sales, size, price, what? I cannot even remember the last time I saw a DTS or Town Car commercial... do such commercials even exist?

In true maritime terms the flagship was the most dominating force in the fleet. It was the main ship, the most heavily armed, most extravagant and often the fastest.
Criteria? Mainstream manufacturers.

There is a discrepancy in price between the cheapest flagship model (Town Car) and the most expensive (760Li) of over $70K but nonetheless, each is a flagship. Granted I should have put the S600 as the Mercedes flagship or the 750i as the BMW one but it's almost a mute point as one is either a person who would prefer an S-Class or one who would prefer a 7-Series, the actual model is almost irrelevant.

I just posed it as a simple question and from the looks of the poll, there is a wide range of preferences. Only 1 more person would pick the BMW 760Li over the Town Car? Interesting results, I didn't really know if the poll would heavily favor the Big 3 of the luxury market (Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus) or if the results would be spread out evenly among the crowd. Surprised that A8 is such a big numbers car, I don't think I'd ever look at one if I was going to purchase one of these type of vehicles (I don't have enough money to even have that problem though).

The only 3 I really have any experience with above are the S550 that a friend owns which I've driven a bit, the Cadillac DTS which my parents used to own, and the Lexus LS460 which they currently own. To me, the nicest vehicle I've ever really been in was my friends S550...VERY NICE . Everything felt like it should in a six-figure vehicle from the window buttons to the sound the doors make when you shut them, to the quality of the wood and leather surrounding you. Really loved that vehicle, maybe when I turn 50 I'll be able to afford one.

The LS460 was a step below the S550 in terms of quality, it felt a bit cheaper with more plastics (albeit high-quality plastic). The LS460 is much more user-friendly than the S550, there are no complicated knobs that control everything from the temperature to the radio to the massaging seats. The LS460 navigation map was clearer, the interface was easier, and it felt like a car someone older would be more comfortable in.

Their '06 Cadillac DTS was nice but not up to the standards of the Lexus or Mercedes. It had many GM parts-bin pieces throughout the interior making it feel like a $30K vehicle rather than a $50K one. Styling is always subjective but I think the DTS is the best looking vehicle of them all. Very edgy but yet still crisp and refined. I'm a sucker for details and the DTS really failed when it came to that department. Too many pieces found on the DTS are the same ones found on a $20K Impala or Malibu...hopefully Cadillac doesn't make the same mistake with their next flagship vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
At my past job I had quite a bit of experience with executive cars as I purchased all of the owner's vehicles. There was the "old man" who had founded the company and then he had three sons who were all in various executive positions. Some of them drove themselves, others had a chauffer.

In my time there between them they owned as their executive cars:

Audi A8L W12
BMW 745Li
Mercedes S600 V
Bentley Continental Flying Spur
Maseratti Quattroporte

Of all of them according to the family and the chauffers the best two hands down where the Mercedes S600V and the Audi A8L W12. The Bentley was too "sporty", so while it was fun to drive it made for a poor passenger experience. Same thing with the Maseratti. The BMW was an absolute maintenance nightmare. Of all of them, the only one that never suffered any serious issues was the A8.

It was also capable of handling all weather conditions and was sporting when they wanted to have some fun driving and extremely quiet and relaxed when cruising. All of the cars did something well, but none of them did everything as well as the Audi. When I left everyone but the "old man" were going to be getting A8's when the current leases were up, he wanted to stick with the Mercedes' as they had the best ride according to his wife.

Not that it really matters, but those are the opinions of several people who actually own and drive/use these types of cars for what they were meant for.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
LS 460 for sure, highest rated vehicle in Consumer Reports.
Hands down, the best IMHO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

I just posed it as a simple question and from the looks of the poll, there is a wide range of preferences. Only 1 more person would pick the BMW 760Li over the Town Car? Interesting results, I didn't really know if the poll would heavily favor the Big 3 of the luxury market (Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus) or if the results would be spread out evenly among the crowd. Surprised that A8 is such a big numbers car, I don't think I'd ever look at one if I was going to purchase one of these type of vehicles (I don't have enough money to even have that problem though).

The only 3 I really have any experience with above are the S550 that a friend owns which I've driven a bit, the Cadillac DTS which my parents used to own, and the Lexus LS460 which they currently own. To me, the nicest vehicle I've ever really been in was my friends S550...VERY NICE . Everything felt like it should in a six-figure vehicle from the window buttons to the sound the doors make when you shut them, to the quality of the wood and leather surrounding you. Really loved that vehicle, maybe when I turn 50 I'll be able to afford one.

The LS460 was a step below the S550 in terms of quality, it felt a bit cheaper with more plastics (albeit high-quality plastic). The LS460 is much more user-friendly than the S550, there are no complicated knobs that control everything from the temperature to the radio to the massaging seats. The LS460 navigation map was clearer, the interface was easier, and it felt like a car someone older would be more comfortable in.

Their '06 Cadillac DTS was nice but not up to the standards of the Lexus or Mercedes. It had many GM parts-bin pieces throughout the interior making it feel like a $30K vehicle rather than a $50K one. Styling is always subjective but I think the DTS is the best looking vehicle of them all. Very edgy but yet still crisp and refined. I'm a sucker for details and the DTS really failed when it came to that department. Too many pieces found on the DTS are the same ones found on a $20K Impala or Malibu...hopefully Cadillac doesn't make the same mistake with their next flagship vehicle.

Your opinions are not way off. I still think the LS460 has better interior amenities, a smoother, and quieter ride over the S550. I give the S550 its due credit, with its fit and finish. (I judge these cars 5 years into ownership, and as usual, the Lexus will age better than the Benz).

I also thought the S550 was harsher (as most German cars tend to be). I think the Lexus is the embodiment of true luxury. In my opinion, it's the best of the 3 you compared (since I've driven them as well). It's not too harsh like the S Klass, nor too loose like the Cadillac (liquid steering feel, not in touch with the road. The car is numb). The LS460 a well balanced ride on all fronts (comfort, driving ease, simplicity, reliability, etc).

If I were my father's age, the LS460 would be the car of choice, followed closely by the S550.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
No. Your criteria for "flagship" designation. What is it?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
A Maxima is not a luxury car.

I'm sure a Maxima is very nice compared to an Impala.
While this is true I've owned two S class MB and they were more trouble than the Maxima.

Luxury cars are for show. Especially German luxury cars.
If you want a Japanese luxury car buy a Lexus.

I am way past the age of trying to impress with a luxury car. I'd rather impress myself with a well built car that spends little time in the repair shop. (the reason for the Maxima)

Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
While this is true I've owned two S class MB and they were more trouble than the Maxima.

Luxury cars are for show. Especially German luxury cars.
If you want a Japanese luxury car buy a Lexus.

I am way past the age of trying to impress with a luxury car. I'd rather impress myself with a well built car that spends little time in the repair shop. (the reason for the Maxima)

Ah, your criteria for being impressed does not include driving feel, handling, or performance, merely reliability. No emotional connection, just how it affects your wallet.

As I said, my 740iL impreses me every time I drive it with how well it handles, the feedback, the braking, the connection with the road like a sports car, with all the space and luxury of a, well, ex flagship luxury car. The faster you go in tight twisty backroads, the smaller it feels around you. It was cheap to buy and cheap to own and maintain. I think it looks great. And in 4 years of ownership, it's been down for repairs for more than a day one time (when a cheap replacement water pump failed in the middle of winter and it took me a couple of days to source an upgraded part and get it installed in my garage). The few other minor repairs (like replacing brake pads and rotors at 150k miles) were only one afternoon projects.

The few repairs it has needed while I've owned it (between 140 and 180k miles over 4 years) are a very small price to pay for not driving a boring, bland appliance.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Ah, your criteria for being impressed does not include driving feel, handling, or performance, merely reliability. No emotional connection, just how it affects your wallet.

As I said, my 740iL impreses me every time I drive it with how well it handles, the feedback, the braking, the connection with the road like a sports car, with all the space and luxury of a, well, ex flagship luxury car. The faster you go in tight twisty backroads, the smaller it feels around you. It was cheap to buy and cheap to own and maintain. I think it looks great. And in 4 years of ownership, it's been down for repairs for more than a day one time (when a cheap replacement water pump failed in the middle of winter and it took me a couple of days to source an upgraded part and get it installed in my garage). The few other minor repairs (like replacing brake pads and rotors at 150k miles) were only one afternoon projects.

The few repairs it has needed while I've owned it (between 140 and 180k miles over 4 years) are a very small price to pay for not driving a boring, bland appliance.
I have three vehicles right now
A F250 4X4 for getting and towing stuff
A Mustang road racer for doing track time.
A Nissan Maxima for getting groceries.
All three impress me in different ways.

Don't need a luxury car, been there done that.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:44 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Isn't that the whole point of this particular thread? The answer to the original question will all be based on one's own opinion.... not sure what your point is.
My point is that he says a certain car is the "best car in the world" and he says it as a fact, not an opinion. He did not say "in my opinion."

Old 09-30-2010, 01:07 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
LS 460 for sure, highest rated vehicle in Consumer Reports.
which does not .... in fact ... make it the best. CR is a good resource, but hardly the only "go to" source.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have three vehicles right now
A F250 4X4 for getting and towing stuff
A Mustang road racer for doing track time.
A Nissan Maxima for getting groceries.
All three impress me in different ways.

Don't need a luxury car, been there done that.

I agree with you. I have quite a few cars myself for different reasons. They all serve their purpose. I also agree with getting a good, reliable Japanese car. I get no complaints when I'm in traffic in my 05 Avalon.
It's very comfy, reliable, good on gas, and very spacious. It may lack the stiffness/harsher ride of the BMW or MB (giving them a sportier ride, which can eventually wear you out faster in day to day driving ), but nothing my other cars can't cure on weekends.

I subscribe to that motto. Different toys for different moods/needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive