Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OK, you've got one this one non-customer who does his car research and selection in person, then buys on-line ...

IMO, a good salesperson will have asked enough questions about the customer's needs/wants/intentions to have qualified this suspect as not being a buyer from your dealership .... and the choice is yours at that point to either build a relationship or not "waste your time" ....

if you, as a salesman, can build that relationship and enough perceived "value" in buying the car from your dealership, then you've got an opportunity with a live buyer in your showroom to make a sale. Not everybody as a buyer is so disciplined that they can resist the point of purchase when the merchandise is in their hands and ready to drive off the lot. In a lot of cases, too, the on-line BID price isn't so much of an advantage over what you can sell a car for, too ....
Buy on line? Who buys a car online. I look for the best deal online and go IN PERSON to the top 2 or 3. Just because it says it's a good deal online, doesn't mean ANYONE is going to get it. They made have add ons. Why should I give my money away again? The ones who think I should must be libs. If you're on the public dole or working a gov. job, I can see why you wouldn't care about throwing your money away or waiting till you need a car before buying. I work hard for mine and don't get any of it from someone's taxes.

Who's to say the top 2 truecar quotes won't be among the ones who gave me the test drive... Geesh. Forgive me for not being a sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OK, you've got one this one non-customer who does his car research and selection in person, then buys on-line ...

IMO, a good salesperson will have asked enough questions about the customer's needs/wants/intentions to have qualified this suspect as not being a buyer from your dealership .... and the choice is yours at that point to either build a relationship or not "waste your time" ....

if you, as a salesman, can build that relationship and enough perceived "value" in buying the car from your dealership, then you've got an opportunity with a live buyer in your showroom to make a sale. Not everybody as a buyer is so disciplined that they can resist the point of purchase when the merchandise is in their hands and ready to drive off the lot. In a lot of cases, too, the on-line BID price isn't so much of an advantage over what you can sell a car for, too ....

When someone walks into a showroom, they deal with a floor salesman. When they submit something online, it goes to an entirely different department.

He's purposefully wasting the salesperson's time and possible money for something he knows from the start will not be a sale to that person.

That's why salespeople ask all the qualifying questions that everyone is bitching about in this thread. When they do that, it's to make sure that you aren't a timesuck like that guy, and that you have your head screwed on straight and aren't looking for a $300 payment on $45,000.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM

298 posts, read 596,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
When someone walks into a showroom, they deal with a floor salesman. When they submit something online, it goes to an entirely different department.

He's purposefully wasting the salesperson's time and possible money for something he knows from the start will not be a sale to that person.

That's why salespeople ask all the qualifying questions that everyone is bitching about in this thread. When they do that, it's to make sure that you aren't a timesuck like that guy, and that you have your head screwed on straight and aren't looking for a $300 payment on $45,000.
"Timesuck"....Qualifying Questions...Bitching...Head screwed on straight...Wasting the sales person's time...these comments are typical of car salesman, It's all about not giving the price until the customer says he will buy the vehicle, and if we don't buy TODAY it's wasting their time, in other words we aren't supposed to shop around, it goes along with the territory, get over it or, find another job.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I had something happen that was extremely odd and irritating before. One time while stopped at a truck lot looking at new trucks, I heard my own pick-up start and drive off! WTF??? I see it stop up the lane and park with a dufuss salesman getting out. This is about 500 feet or better from where I was standing and where it was parked. I walked over to my truck and asked him "WTH are you doing in and moving my truck"? He said he needed to get another truck out for a test drive. Soooooooo, you enter someone elses vehicle without their permission, start it and drive off with it? F"n" idiot, you were lucky I realized you were a dufuss salesman before I ruffed your azz up or worse! Use that head for something other than a hat rack next time, will ya!
When I go to a car dealer, I have sense enough to park where I'm not blocking other vehicles.

I also have sense enough to never leave my keys in my unattended car .

Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
"Timesuck"....Qualifying Questions...Bitching...Head screwed on straight...Wasting the sales person's time...these comments are typical of car salesman, It's all about not giving the price until the customer says he will buy the vehicle, and if we don't buy TODAY it's wasting their time, in other words we aren't supposed to shop around, it goes along with the territory, get over it or, find another job.

I guess it helps reinforce your view of the world when you can just make up definitions to words to fit your viewpoint.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
If we did it the way they wanted, they'd have a 100% closing ratio. That's just not the real world. If they don't like the way it's set up maybe they're whining to the wrong people.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Again, it's astonishing to me how people who have never done the job know all about how it works. None of you would make it 2 weeks selling cars.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Again, it's astonishing to me how people who have never done the job know all about how it works. None of you would make it 2 weeks selling cars.
That statement applies to a lot of professions.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 PM

298 posts, read 596,128 times
Quote:
I'm sure I don't know half of it...everyday you guys come up with new gimmicks. It's hard to keep up with them all.

You will not find me selling cars any time soon...I'm not that hungry yet.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I'm sure I don't know half of it...everyday you guys come up with new gimmicks. It's hard to keep up with them all.

You will not find me selling cars any time soon...I'm not that hungry yet.
Any dealership I ever went into, I knew more than the salesperson about the vehicle. All I had to do was ask them a question anyone who's selling a product should be able to answer. They always had to get back to me. The turn over must be wicked in that biz. When I ask them how long they've been at it, it's always a number of months vs. years. Why are they bi###ing at the customers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive