Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: pick a truck
Chevy Silverado 4 40.00%
Chevy Colorado 0 0%
Chevy Avalanche 0 0%
Ford F150 2 20.00%
Dodge Ram 3 30.00%
Dodge Dakota 1 10.00%
GMC Sierra 0 0%
GMC Canyon 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 12,117 times

Advertisements

I'm bored at work so tell me what your "dream vehicle" would be of the past decade that is American made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
CJ Series Jeep, Straight 6, oversized tires, manual, softop.

Edit: Guess that's too long ago. I don't like any modern american-made vehicles.

Last edited by sponger42; 09-12-2007 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Didn't read.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
I absolutely adore the new '07 Silverados and they are definetly giving the F-150 a run for its' money. However I voted for the F-150 for the fact that Ford realized before Chevy, that people would PAY for quality and luxury in a pickup truck. I didn't like the '97-'03 F-150's nor did I care for the '99-'06 Silverado's. Neither had a decent interior nor did either great styling. My father drives an F-150 and I'm even amazed at how nice the interior is and how well it rides. I still find it amazing that people will pay up to $45K for a truck!

As for the others, I'm not a fan of small trucks; GO BIG or GO HOME! So I'll nix out the Colorado, Dakota, and Canyon. The Dodge Ram is more of a show truck then a work truck. You cannot haul or tow as much in a Ram as you could in either a Silverado or F-150. They may look mean but their are better choices (plus the Dodge Ram has a seriously outdated interior). The Sierra is just the Silverado with a GMC nameplate. And the Avalanche is not a true truck.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,772 times
Be forewarned, I am not a domestic truck fan nor do I own one. But......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The Dodge Ram is more of a show truck then a work truck. You cannot haul or tow as much in a Ram as you could in either a Silverado or F-150.
Real work trucks don't have IFS, they have solid front axles.

Real work trucks don't have aluminum-housing front differentials on their 4x4 models. (Although it was neat watching them explode!)

I do not intend to offend or start a flame-fest, but for real work, a Super Duty or Ram 2500 would be preferred, esp since GM still uses the c-channel frames.

There was no vote for None of the Above, which would be my real preference. A Diesel Super Duty would be my second choice.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
The new Toyota Tundra that's built in San Antonio, Texas get my vote for "American-made" pickup truck.

While the Dodge trucks built in Mexico and the GM trucks built in Canada are technically "American-made," I like owning trucks that were assembled in the United States, regardless of the ownership of the parent company.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
I own a Honda Ridgeline truck and it is American made, 70 to 80 percent of it is made right here in the US or Canada, as much as any of the big three if not more. That is my dream car and I got it two years ago. Honda cars are made in America and so is Toyota, in some cases as in the Ford Ranger, a supposedly American made car is actually not made here.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
100% of my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and '76 Cadillac Limo are made in the U.S.

So is (one of) my dream car: 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,317 times
Some of the trucks on that list aren't 'American Made'. My Tacoma is made in Indiana. I'd get a Tacoma.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I absolutely adore the new '07 Silverados and they are definetly giving the F-150 a run for its' money. However I voted for the F-150 for the fact that Ford realized before Chevy, that people would PAY for quality and luxury in a pickup truck. I didn't like the '97-'03 F-150's nor did I care for the '99-'06 Silverado's. Neither had a decent interior nor did either great styling. My father drives an F-150 and I'm even amazed at how nice the interior is and how well it rides. I still find it amazing that people will pay up to $45K for a truck!

As for the others, I'm not a fan of small trucks; GO BIG or GO HOME! So I'll nix out the Colorado, Dakota, and Canyon. The Dodge Ram is more of a show truck then a work truck. You cannot haul or tow as much in a Ram as you could in either a Silverado or F-150. They may look mean but their are better choices (plus the Dodge Ram has a seriously outdated interior). The Sierra is just the Silverado with a GMC nameplate. And the Avalanche is not a true truck.

You haven't looked in the 09 Dodge truck have you? As for me, in trucks, the best looking truck that's been built in the last 10 years is the Black Sport packaged 2003 F350 Supercab Dually. Too bad Ford put the 6 oh no diesels in them after Nov. 11th of 2002. If you want a real truck, you get a dually!! The others are just pretenders.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I own a Honda Ridgeline truck and it is American made, 70 to 80 percent of it is made right here in the US or Canada, as much as any of the big three if not more. That is my dream car and I got it two years ago. Honda cars are made in America and so is Toyota, in some cases as in the Ford Ranger, a supposedly American made car is actually not made here.
Well how are you looking at it? The Japanese robots using American generated power that assembled it? The American human who pressed the green button? Assembly line workers are the only Americans your helping out. I would rather give my support to the engineers, designers, architects... the companies who constructed and designed all of the factory equipment... etc.

Assembly line workers are not the ones who determine the quality of the product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive