Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, definitely... those Caddys were beauties, but I always steered clear because of those head gasket woes. I know there was a reason someone here locally had a LIKE NEW 1997 DeVille for $700. They said it had a head gasket blown... then I heard it was like $4000 to repair... I was no longer interested.

I agree... the Park Avenue has always been a nice car... even the 1985-90 Park Avenue had been rated one of the more reliable American cars back then. The 1991s became even better. I had a 1992 Park Avenue and it was a solid and safe car. It had about 190K on it, but it did still run really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
One very important reason as to why the Northstar Cadillacs have depreciated quickly is because of the tendency for head gasket issues,

A Park Avenue might be the best buy of the breed, though, as it has the 3800 engine, later models were pretty safe with side-impact airbags, and its fuel economy is pretty respectable for a vehicle in its size class. Park Avenues also had a high level of standard equipment, and few options. Insurance is also pretty inexpensive, as it's not a theft target or a race car.

I have had numerous DeVilles/DHS/DTS, Town Cars, STS, and Park Avenues/Bonnevilles as rental cars, and they were always pretty decent highway cruisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
the Town Car drivers I see are almost exclusively livery drivers, and absolutely no executive types. Even the grandpas and grandmas have moved on to Camrys and Avalons.
A few weeks ago, I was walking across the street from one shopping area to another and saw 3 Town Cars (not a taxi or livery) within 10 minutes. They are being bought by private owners!

There are 2 (not including mine) Town Cars in my immediate neighborhood.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
The car companies blew it when they quit offering these rides in 2 door models. But yes, they ride great, very reliable (better than the touted import brands like toyota, mercedes, etc.,) and usually have great fit and finish.
It's funny as hell when "kids" go on a trip with you and realize they are in comfort and the thing gets every bit as good of gas milage as their unsafe little junk from toyota or whatever brand.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I have a couple "grandpa" cars. They serve a very specific purpose... absolute comfort. They are the perfect cruising machines and are the most effortless vehicles you will ever drive. They sit in the garage most of the time while the other vehicles do the daily driving but when I am going to take a long trip or just want to be pampered... thats when they come out.

Many people dislike these kinds of automobiles mainly because they are limited to owning one or two vehicles and they would rather have something that is good all around. NOT ME, I need a vehicle for each individual application. But... thats just me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Have you seen how much there is in aftermarket suspension parts avalible? You make 1 of these still ride great but corner as well as a new mustang, camaro, or challenger. Now if they were avalible as a 2 door!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I believe these types of vehicles have a place in our society but the definition of "grandpa car" seems to be changing a bit with the times. I live in the Senior Citizen Capital of the World during winter and after being here for over 10 years, I have a pretty good idea of what many senior citizens drive. Granted the retirees flocking to the Valley are usually on the middle to higher end of the wealth spectrum. Here are about 10 "grandpa cars" that I see many elderly couples in:

Cadillac DTS
http://media.dealerskins.com/carspecs2002/Photos/JATOCOLOR400/CADILLAC%5CDTS%5C2010%5C4SA98U.jpg (broken link)
Toyota Avalon

Lexus ES350

Lexus LS460

Lexus RX350

Lincoln Town Car

Toyota Prius

Chevrolet Impala
http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2011/Chevrolet/2011.chevrolet.impala.20340280-396x249.jpg (broken link)
Ford Taurus

Buick Lucerne

These seem to be the majority of cars I see the seniors down here driving of course then you have your random assortment of minivans (which seem to be becoming less popular) as well as big trucks for pulling these big fifth wheels. Of course you have pockets of seniors that break the mold but I'd say this list would be correct for a good majority.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I believe these types of vehicles have a place in our society but the definition of "grandpa car" seems to be changing a bit with the times. I live in the Senior Citizen Capital of the World during winter and after being here for over 10 years, I have a pretty good idea of what many senior citizens drive. Granted the retirees flocking to the Valley are usually on the middle to higher end of the wealth spectrum. Here are about 10 "grandpa cars" that I see many elderly couples in:
Funny, I didn't think of the Lexus RX as a 'grandpa car'. All kinds of people drive those where I live. I always thought my Grand Marquis to fit into this category too .

Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Funny, I didn't think of the Lexus RX as a 'grandpa car'. All kinds of people drive those where I live. I always thought my Grand Marquis to fit into this category too .
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't either. It's just an observation that many senior citizens seem to be driving them nowadays, crossovers are overtaking mini-vans in my view. There's a few big churches in Mesa where all the seniors seem to congregate every Sunday and last year I was going to meet my parents and aunt and uncle for breakfast after church was through (I'm not holy enough to be allowed in...holy water burns my skin). I decided to drive through the parking lot during church and saw quite a few RX330/RX350's with out-of-state plates.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
My inlaws have a Buick and I hate driving it. Feels like a sofa on wheels. Totally disconnected from the road. If I want to sit in a sofa, I will do it at home.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Have you seen how much there is in aftermarket suspension parts avalible? You make 1 of these still ride great but corner as well as a new mustang, camaro, or challenger. Now if they were avalible as a 2 door!
That is true. For only a few grand B-Bodies and Panthers in particular can be turned into very nimble machines. For example the cult following of the Impala SS, 9C1 and the Marauders/P71s.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
My issue with most of these "grandpa" cars are the front benches and limited seat adjustment. At 6'4" I have a real hard time finding a comfortable driving position given the very limited adjustment. On the other hand, the back seats are very comfy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive