Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Consider two people who are both going from point A to point B, say 300 miles..

One person is just interested in a pleasant drive in the country, maybe stop a couple of times to see wildlife, or check out the crops in the field, or just take a deep breath of fresh air in a quiet environment, and have lunch at a rural gas station that has a cafe attached. Or maybe a picnic lunch at a roadside table. The way I like to travel. How does a GPS help?

The other person just has to get there, quickly and efficiently. He needs to know four things. How to get from home onto the Interstate (he can already do that blindfolded), he needs to stay on the interstate (a no-brainer), he needs to recognize a gas station and a restaurant when he sees one (Duh), and he needs to know how to get from the interstate to his destination.
Depending on how often he makes such a trip, it may or may not be worth $400 a year to save the trouble of looking at a paper map for a minute to accomplish step 4.

Unless you travel on business to a lot of different destinations, just how many times a year (for your $400) do you really need to be told how to get somewhere, instead of just looking up the directions and following signs. Would you pay $400 a year for a dictionary that reads out definitions of words to you? Would you pay $400 a year for a cookbook that reads recipes to you? How many times would you need it? "Pour 3/4 cup of milk onto cereal."

Last edited by jtur88; 10-12-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The thing I like about paper maps (and everything else) is that I can browse. With a paper map, I can choose a route by saying "that looks interesting". To a GPS, back roads do not exist unless your destination is located on that particular back road. I can scan the restaurants in paper yellow pages a lot faster than I can on line, seeing features of each one that would require multiple clicking online. If I choose one, I can grab the cell and say "How do I get there?" I only use a paper dictionary. I can find a lot of facts in my paper world almanac faster than I can on line, and easily scan a whole page of related facts for "back roads that look interesting" while I'm there, as a page will hold 3 or 4 times as much data as a computer screen.

Maybe about half of what I know, I found out serendipitously while looking something else up, and that avenue is pretty well closed off by the tunnel vision of the digital display. Until my computer screen is as big as my dining room table, it's no place to look at a map.
My answers are in the same type of highlighting as the parts I've highlighted in your text.
This is simply not true, I don't know of any GPS model (currently on sale) that won't make a rural route for you if you so wish, nor that you can't manually change your route if that's the one you want.

That's great for you, but me and many others have no problems finding facts online just as fast or faster than in a book, not to mention that you'll have more than one source (if needed or wanted) and more information available, given that you know how to you it of course. In other words, this particular argument only relates to you it's not "truth"

Probably 80% of what I know, I've found out serendipitously while looking things up online, so again, that's a very subjective problem. If you know how to utilize the Internet properly, the ability to find out not only what you're looking for, but stumble upon other things too is at it's essence. It's one ofr the key things Internet is really for, so that specific statement strikes me as odd. And if you were only referring to maps... heard of scrolling? Even a phone can scroll Google maps with no load time now, so again, I find it odd that that's a problem for you.

Quote:

One person is just interested in a pleasant drive in the country, maybe stop a couple of times to see wildlife, or check out the crops in the field, or just take a deep breath of fresh air in a quiet environment, and have lunch at a rural gas station that has a cafe attached. Or maybe a picnic lunch at a roadside table. The way I like to travel. How does a GPS help?

The other person just has to get there, quickly and efficiently. He needs to know four things. How to get from home onto the Interstate (he can already do that blindfolded), he needs to stay on the interstate (a no-brainer), he needs to recognize a gas station and a restaurant when he sees one (Duh), and he needs to know how to get from the interstate to his destination.
Depending on how often he makes such a trip, it may or may not be worth $400 a year to save the trouble of looking at a paper map for a minute to accomplish step 4.

Unless you travel on business to a lot of different destinations, just how many times a year (for your $400) do you really need to be told how to get somewhere, instead of just looking up the directions and following signs. Would you pay $400 a year for a dictionary that reads out definitions of words to you? Would you pay $400 a year for a cookbook that reads recipes to you? How many times would you need it? "Pour 3/4 cup of milk onto cereal."
Person A: If the GPS is any good, or preferably a phone with access to Google Navigation, then the GPS can be used to not only view maps and find what looks like good roads (and subsequently plot in a route along it), you can also fin trips and places online that could be of interest and load it directly into the GPS. Want to eat at a good non-chain diner, and you're not familiar in the area? Ask Google to search up a good reputation diner along your route, if it's a GPS that's not continuously connected to the internet, you can download (or already have installed) locations of hundreds of thousand restaurants and diners all over the world, with names and descriptions, making sure you get exactly what you want.

Person B: The GPS will be able to notify you of accidents, queues etc en-route, and divert you to a faster route, effectively going around troublespots. If it's gridlocked or slow moving, this feature alone can save you hours.
If it's Internet connectible, it can tell you where the good restaurant or diner along the way is, if it's not, it an give you descriptions of the type of food they serve, so that you get exactly what you want.
It will inform you of the speedlimit at all times as well as provide the current true speed your traveling at, which can be helpful, especially if your car doesn't have the worlds most precise speedometer.
It can help you avoid potential toll roads and ferries etc if there's any on the way, you want to avoid them and don't know the route very well.

I think they could both get some good use out of a GPS, given that they use it right.

What reason is there for not having a GPS? (And where did you get the $400 figure from? I've never heard of a GPS system that's that costly on an annual basis)

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:

This is a false choice. GPS's cost $60 and up and don't have to be updated every year (the roads dont change that much).

Also, I don't think anyone on this thread is saying GPS's are necessary for your life. Obviously, everyone has different traveling styles. Leaping from "GPS's don't work for my life" to "GPS's are an unnecessary waste of money" is a bit of a stretch.

Your "steps" are also over-simplified. What if there's an accident or a traffic jam and one needs an alternate route? What if someone wants to find a particular brand of gas or a particular restaurant? What if the roads after you get off the interstate are confusing? What if someone wants to go somewhere else after they reach their destination?

Finally, the dictionary/cookbook analogy doesn't work because we're talking about getting directions while you're driving. A dictionary or cookbook is consulted in an environment where you can actually pay attention to it.

I'm not saying everyone needs a GPS, but if plopping down $60-$200 for one makes driving easier and generally improves your life, then more power to you.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

What reason is there for not having a GPS? (And where did you get the $400 figure from? I've never heard of a GPS system that's that costly on an annual basis)
In post #24, Njgoat said their subscription is $30 a month to continue using the product that the car came equipped with.

Is there a GPS that will display, on one screen, the entire geography between starting and ending point, and let you browse at all the backroad possibilities? There is a reason why maps are printed on larger paper than an index card.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
A GPS will do the exact same thing if you know how to use it.
true enough, but again, paper maps are great when the gps batteries die.

Quote:
And what on earth is wrong with utilizing both means of orientation, get the best of both worlds.
there is nothing wrong with this.

Quote:
Do you hand wash your clothes too? How about write all letters by hand? Oh oh, or make dinner over an open fire?
the answer to each of these questions is no, i dont, however i CAN if i need to, because i have done it in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Except that for a map, you must pull over in order when you use it to not be a danger to other drivers. GPS you don't even have to look at it to have it direct you to your destination.
true, but as mentioned before, it is always a good idea to stop every so often and get out of the car and take a short break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If they're clueless enough to "blindly obey its every command oblivious to their surroundings and road signs," imagine how distracted they'd be trying to find their way around without one. For people that clueless, the problem isn't a device, the problem is them.
this is quite true, but remember we are also talking about people that look at a paper map, and decide they need to follow the blue road, until it crosses the red one.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
In post #24, Njgoat said their subscription is $30 a month to continue using the product that the car came equipped with.

Is there a GPS that will display, on one screen, the entire geography between starting and ending point, and let you browse at all the backroad possibilities? There is a reason why maps are printed on larger paper than an index card.
Well, unless Njgoats system includes a heck of a lot more than ordinary GPS guidance, with the odd update, he/she will be ripped off at that price, though at that cost I would almost assume there's a phone number he/she can call and get personal assistance in anything from picking and booking hotel rooms and restaurant recommendations etc.

Any and all GPS systems, including my 4 year old Blaupunkt (which in all honesty is pretty dreadful) can display your entire route on screen from start to finish, in fact I'd encourage everyone to do so, to double check that the automated route looks right. If you want, you can then zoom in and look at each section as close-up as you want, including backroads etc. (If you think GPS systems only display cities and highways, I can inform you that they don't), and when you do that, you can manually direct your GPS to follow a different road if you so please. If you get confused by scrolling and zooming in and out on a screen, I can understand why it might not work for you, but people generally fare pretty good with this. And yes, nigh on 100% of the GPS systems available are touchscreen models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
true enough, but again, paper maps are great when the gps batteries die.

the answer to each of these questions is no, i dont, however i CAN if i need to, because i have done it in the past.
I've never argued against having maps of the place your in though, maps are great, for a variety of reasons. I'm arguing against the idea that a GPS unit is unnecessary, it's not.

Oh and... GPS run out of battery? As long as you're driving it'll be plugged in and charging, so that'll only happen when you're out walking somewhere.

I expected as much, and I was only trying to illustrate a point, namely that people, even in my generation and younger do actually know or can figure out how to write, wash and do the dishes by hand (I actually do the latter) as well as reading maps. I simply don't think that the ability to perform these tasks means I necessarily should (or anyone else for that matter) if there's a faster, better, more convenient, more comprehensive etc. way to do it.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Do you hand wash your clothes too? How about write all letters by hand? Oh oh, or make dinner over an open fire?
When I'm out on a road trip, yes, as a matter of fact I do. That's one of the beauties of traveling. Which is the really nice thing about having a car in the first place.

Do you smell flowers, or just plug in a Glade refill?
Do you kiss your wife, and bandage your kids knee, or is there a battery-powered machine that does that for you?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
When I'm out on a road trip, yes, as a matter of fact I do. That's one of the beauties of traveling. Which is the really nice thing about having a car in the first place.

Do you smell flowers, or just plug in a Glade refill?
Do you kiss your wife, and bandage your kids knee, or is there a battery-powered machine that does that for you?
When on a road trip it's kind of a given, isn't it? Do you handwash your clothes at home?

If it makes you feel better, I don't use a GPS to navigate from the bedroom to the bathroom.

Why do you have such an issue with GPS devices?

Other than that, you're grasping at the wrong thing, essentially disregarding the more precise points I make and comment on a question taken out of context.

Point is: Why do you argue against the use of a product that can give you everything a map does, and much much more? I understand full well that not everyone will want it for themselves, but why the grudge?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Point is: Why do you argue against the use of a product that can give you everything a map does, and much much more? I understand full well that not everyone will want it for themselves, but why the grudge?
Everything a map does? On a display the size of an index card? All at once, like a map on the dining room table does?

My "grudge", if that's how you need to characterize it, is that mass marketing has persuaded/convinced/commanded nearly everyone to have it, when a majority of people will need one so rarely that it comes nowhere near justifying the cost.

Yes, a Sham Wow would no doubt clean up, in a few instances, better than an old rag. Have you also jumped on the must-have Sham Wow bandwagon? Well, a Sham Wow does everything an old rag does, and much much more. They see you coming.

There was a car ad a few years ago touting the TV screens in the seatbacks. Wonderful. The ad showed mom and dad in the front seat driving through some spectacular national park, and the kids in the back watching cartoons. But they just HAD to have one. How did that enhance their vacation experience?

There's another TV ad about a guy who sees a honey on the train, so uses his device to change train reservations. In the ad, it takes him a fraction of a second. How long does it really take you, from the time you reach for your device, to get a confirmed reservation on a different train or plane? Well, then, how long does it really take you to enter the necessary data into your onboard GPS, to tell you how get to . . . gee, where do you need to get to that you don't already know the way, and how often?

Just like the GI Joe, who engages in such realistic looking battle scenes in the TV ads. They see you coming.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:

Your questions have already been asked and answered. A GPS is just a tool and not necessarily not the right tool for every single situation. No matter how long you continue to belabor the point, the basic answer remains the same.

And where in the hell are you getting this $400/yr nonsense from? I spent $70 for mine and another $75 for lifetime updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive