Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM

39 posts, read 91,377 times

Advertisements

I know that since the "cash for clunkers" program, all car dealers have changed the way business is done. But, really? I was looking for a Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and in my part of New England, I found 1 in Connecticut. ONE! UNO! Wow! 2 other dealers in the area only had GLS models, and with those, each dealer only had 1 or 2 each. I know the 2011 Ford Edge's are fresh out of the ovens, but I can't seem to find any dealer in CT who has more than 1 or 2 in stock. The other question is why do they fill the lots with the either the basic models or the limiteds?

I find this very annoying, but I am smart enough to know of the supply and demand tactic - low supply means higher price...Anyway, is anyone else finding this an issue too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
well I guess you could custom order from the factory if you have time and are not in a rush

Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Car makers aren't making as many cars due to lack of sales over the past couple years. And dealerships aren't selling cars like they used to. Keeping a car on the lot past 30 days costs the dealer a lot of money, so they don't keep as many in inventory.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

464 posts, read 804,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcoast911 View Post
I know that since the "cash for clunkers" program, all car dealers have changed the way business is done. But, really? I was looking for a Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and in my part of New England, I found 1 in Connecticut. ONE! UNO! Wow! 2 other dealers in the area only had GLS models, and with those, each dealer only had 1 or 2 each. I know the 2011 Ford Edge's are fresh out of the ovens, but I can't seem to find any dealer in CT who has more than 1 or 2 in stock. The other question is why do they fill the lots with the either the basic models or the limiteds?

I find this very annoying, but I am smart enough to know of the supply and demand tactic - low supply means higher price...Anyway, is anyone else finding this an issue too?
Did you check at MJ Sullivan across the bridge in New London? They're usually very good and can locate a particular model. Since you're close to the border, try Tarbox Hyundai off Quaker Lane up in West Warwick.

You're right about the low supply, high price. The Limited model is getting pretty much MSRP and above due to demand.

However, if your heart is set on only the 2010 Santa Fe Limited you are in for a tough search. This fall production of the Santa Fe shifted from the Montgomery, Alabama, plant to the new plant in West Point, Georgia. The Montgomery, Alabama, Hyundai plant has been operational since 2005 and they're shifting to producing the Sonata.

The shift has resulted in lower production numbers of the Santa Fe and the Limited model is quite scarce.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcoast911 View Post
I know the 2011 Ford Edge's are fresh out of the ovens, but I can't seem to find any dealer in CT who has more than 1 or 2 in stock.

At the dealer closest to me, they're showing 9 in stock:Ford Search Inventory.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM

39 posts, read 91,377 times
Yes, I have checked MJ's. They have stocked only the GLS trims with the 4 cyl engine - not what I am looking for. I don't know why the Limited trims are not more available, heck they are over $30,000. I would think they would fill lots with these trims.
The other issue that I am having with Hyundai is that the LE trim does not come in the red exterior and tan interior that I like, it only has black interior. Oh well...

Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
My local Ford dealer (Mike Dorian, Clinton Township, MI) has a whole row of '11 Edges. On the local roads they're all over (as are the Lincolns) already. Looks like a banner year for the Edge.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
The Sonata is a hot commodity b/c people want a fake looking Mercedes CLS for $199 a month. They can't build enough of them.

The Ford Edge was just revised and is also selling like hotcakes. Both very popular models.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Most automakers have cut production in response to lower demand, so shortages can be expected. There are some other pressures on the Hyundai line do to shifting of production plants that is hurting supply. Don't know why you are having a hard time finding an Edge, they are popular, but there seem to be plenty around.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
The Sonata is a hot commodity b/c people want a fake looking Mercedes CLS for $199 a month. They can't build enough of them.

The Ford Edge was just revised and is also selling like hotcakes. Both very popular models.
The new Sonata had a $1000 dealer's price gouge at my local Hyundai dealership when it first came out. Funny, that dealer already no longer sells Hyundais. Hyundai is still considered by most here in SE MI to be of ill repute, and it's hard to find them on the road most of the time, making that surcharge really strange. It's a nice car (not easy on my eyes, though) but the real CLS fake is that VW model that's out right now, it's a Passat with a very swoopy roofline. I have to do a double-take when I see one of those to make sure it's not a CLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive