Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 08:40 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

TFL has done an interesting review of an antique car - the Citroen 2CV, which was kind of the French equivalent to the Volkswagen Beetle, and made from 1948-1990. It was best known for its outstanding ride on rough roads - apparently the roads in the French countryside are particularly bad, and so extra ground clearance and a soft, long-travel suspension is a big help. I used to have a Peugeot 604 sedan, a car also renowned for its supple, long travel suspension and outstanding ride on rough roads - I took that thing on fire roads and would on occasion catch air in it while doing that and it handled such abuse very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMTE55v2o0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 04:35 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
TFL has done an interesting review of an antique car - the Citroen 2CV, which was kind of the French equivalent to the Volkswagen Beetle, and made from 1948-1990. It was best known for its outstanding ride on rough roads - apparently the roads in the French countryside are particularly bad, and so extra ground clearance and a soft, long-travel suspension is a big help. I used to have a Peugeot 604 sedan, a car also renowned for its supple, long travel suspension and outstanding ride on rough roads - I took that thing on fire roads and would on occasion catch air in it while doing that and it handled such abuse very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMTE55v2o0
It's an incredible car I'd love to get my hands on one

Old 09-18-2022, 09:06 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
In France I am willing to bet that the 2CV are seen fairly often in rural areas. Many Citroen cars were known for the smooth ride, especially at the top end of the Citroen line of that era, the Pallas DS (aka the deesse or in english goddess). I've always liked French cars, but not sure if they would be my first choice to buy / own.

Here in eastern Germany, 2CV are almost non-existent because they were never sold here in the post WW2 era. The closest thing are 1950s to 1980s communist era two stroke engine cars (Trabant or Wartburg) that are still seen on a frequent basis.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:24 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
In France I am willing to bet that the 2CV are seen fairly often in rural areas. Many Citroen cars were known for the smooth ride, especially at the top end of the Citroen line of that era, the Pallas DS (aka the deesse or in english goddess). I've always liked French cars, but not sure if they would be my first choice to buy / own.

Here in eastern Germany, 2CV are almost non-existent because they were never sold here in the post WW2 era. The closest thing are 1950s to 1980s communist era two stroke engine cars (Trabant or Wartburg) that are still seen on a frequent basis.
Yes, most Citroens were more of luxury cars, but the 2CV was their people's car. It was many years ago (early 1970s), but when I was a boy we visited Holland, Belgium and France and my Dad rented a Citroen DS for the trip. It was a unique-looking car with its aero shape, and had the advanced self-leveling hydropneumatic suspension. I was only something like 13yo at the time and knew nothing of cars, but it made an impression on me even then that I can still recall 50 years later.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
Drove in one in Germany sometime around the mid-70s. German relative owned it. As I recall it shifted with a hand shifter on the steering column. From memory anyway.

Rich

Old 09-24-2022, 06:12 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
And for those who need a little more CV than deux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r7Z_c5l1Fo

Old 09-25-2022, 08:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
Drove really well for what it was! The shifter was not a problem at all despite its unusual position, protruding from the dashboard. Great suspension too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive