Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 19,992 times

Advertisements

yep, depends what comes with the navigation.

most in newer models will come voice-controlled and depending on the manufacturer, hands-free bluetooth. which is helpful as well.

does the car have a back up cam? usb connect?

that + if your getting a car with a navi package, im sure you're also getting more than the navi, im sure you're also paying for heated interior and all that jazz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
I would highly recommend a built in system if you use your Garmin frequently. I had a TomTom for years and loved it. When I leased my new car a few months ago the built in nav was a requirement.
You have to see what is included with the nav package.

If NAV alone = the pros would be that it's built in, always works and generally cannot be stole (anything can be stolen but thieves steal the ones suctioned to your windshield not built in) CONS: expensive!
I personally wouldn't use this as a strong argument for a built in model (highlighted part), thieves remove the built in units in anything from 10 seconds to 1 minute.

I don't know quite how common this type of professional crime is in the States, but it's very common here in Europe, in Mercedes' they even pop the trunk and take any hard drives etc. They remove a complete entertainment system on a new E-class in well under 1 minute.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 AM

172 posts, read 718,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I personally wouldn't use this as a strong argument for a built in model (highlighted part), thieves remove the built in units in anything from 10 seconds to 1 minute.

I don't know quite how common this type of professional crime is in the States, but it's very common here in Europe, in Mercedes' they even pop the trunk and take any hard drives etc. They remove a complete entertainment system on a new E-class in well under 1 minute.

i agree with TheViking85 on this. if they want it they will get it out of your car no matter what. my friend's Acura TL got the navi stolen and they didnt even damage any part of the interior(like it was taken out by a pro). i have also seen cars with wheel locks get their rims stolen.
i would rather get a portable unit. just have a cloth in the car to wipe of the area you mounted the navi and they wont see the suction mark. i have also put a Velcro on the area of the speedometer and use that to hold the navi in place so i dont have to mount it to my windshield.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
The only negative I've had with my in-dash is the high cost of the upgrade CD. Past that very easy to use. I type in a destination and press start. I had portable GPSs in my other cars but they just have too many functions that are not needed. The portable I've found easy and straight forward to use is the one in my Droid. You can order a special stand for it, which once placed into it sets the Droid into car mode.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
My issues with built-in nav systems are as follows:

1) they are usually insanely expensive compared to portable units

2) Map upgrades are also usually insanely expensive compared to portables

3) Can't move them from car to car

4) Can't use them for foot or bike travel

5) Difficult and expensive to upgrade if/when it becomes obsolete or nonfunctional

6) You have to look down at your center stack to get info from it whereas with the portable mounted on your dash or windshield your eyes stay level with the road

To me, the only upsides of the built-in units are cleaner aesthetics, ease of reading because of the larger screen, and better security. Yeah, I know, there are "professional" thieves who can steal one in a minute or less, but there are very very few such "professionals" compared to the innumerable amateurs who can execute a simple smash-and-grab for a portable unit if you accidentally leave it there. Hell, some will break in to your car just based on evidence that there might be a portable GPS in there, such as the cord, the mount, or even the suction-cup rings on your windshield. Plus if someone steals your in-dash unit your insurance will cover it; whereas if they steal your portable you're SOL unless you have a special rider on your policy covering not just the car and its components but its contents.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Built in dash also helps with resale value. Hell portable NAV units will be obsolete with cell phone NAV taking over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive