Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Yep. I posted that on page 1, and no one seems to care about the illegality, just more control of everyone's lives!
I know. Some just do not get it. There is a sheer lack of common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I find it a little hard to believe that they would actually run right out to track down a single rogue device such as that. Beside it would to be putting a really strong signal for them to be able to track it and triangulate such a device, especially if they're traveling down a highway and using it intermittently. Not to forget that they would have to know almost exactly what frequency they are transmitting on.

You don't think so, huh. I wouldn't be so quick go judge on that one. Remember, they have tracked down people that have flashed red laser lights into the eyes of pilots and arrested them. You don't think they are capable of tracking something that has a signal. Right

For those that want this kind of control........may a I suggest a place that you might be happy living....
North Korea. I think they do have jammers there to limit the communication of their citizens. You should feel right at home.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Actually, it IS ILLEGAL. If the signal is being transmitted LEGALLY to communicate then it is ILLEGAL to block or jam it. Most cell phone users are using a legal device that is being transmitted via a LEGAL signal. Which means, jammers are ILLEGAL!

Blocking & Jamming

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

FCC: Wireless Services: Cellular Services: Operations: Blocking & Jamming

Is that enough for you
They ARE ILLEGAL!
Look at the date on that (1934) do you know how many times that has probably been revised? And what about the New York Restaurants that have been talking about installing signal jammers inside their building? And you do realize the the government themselves have such a device and are using it as we speak. They use it in convoys in the war zone to prevent IED detonations. You can't just arbitrarily read one section of the law and Revised Codes and expect that to cover a whole spectrum of issues. We are so much past using "Radio Frequencies" it's not funny. You do realize we have what they call "Satellites) now, rights?
Heck, back when that was written everyone was running around looking for Commies under every rock and tree stump.

And no that's not enough for ME. I don't look at the face of a quote and say, "THIS IS LAW, WE FALLOW LAW". The law has a lot of layers, kinda like an onion if you follow what I'm saying. I had a guy from Texas once tell me that it illegal to remove the Tire Pressure Sensor from my vehicles tires. As he put it, "IT IS ILLEGAL, THAT IS LAW", I did my own research and found that under the NHSTA (Nation Highway Safety Transportation Administration" I could remove all of the as long as I didn't tamper with the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) and it computer. I never take what people say for face value, because most of the time they only go by the first paragraph of what they see in front of them and not research the whole thing.

Kinda like what most Narcissistic Christians do when they look at the Bible, or listen to some preacher and not actually research it for themselves. (THIS IS WHAT BOOK SAYS, IT LAW)

Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
They use it in convoys in the war zone to prevent IED detonations.
Umm.. lots of convoys and IEDs on home soil? I'm not sure such text would extend abroad.

Quote:
We are so much past using "Radio Frequencies" it's not funny. You do realize we have what they call "Satellites) now, rights?
I hate to say it, but you have zero idea what you're talking about. Cell phones use radio frequencies.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Oh ... by the way ..... how do you think satellites send/receive data?

Explain again how we are "past using radio frequencies"?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Umm.. lots of convoys and IEDs on home soil? I'm not sure such text would extend abroad.

No kidding! I was just using that as conversational add on.
I hate to say it, but you have zero idea what you're talking about. Cell phones use radio frequencies.
No kidding, I do realize that, but the frequency are at a much higher and more defined than what they were back in the 30's. Radios signals and their uses were still in their infancy stage back then.

Quote:
Oh ... by the way ..... how do you think satellites send/receive data?

Explain again how we are "past using radio frequencies"?
Wow! your as sharp as a bowling ball today.

Again I understand that and I do have the basic working knowledge of how frequencies are transmitted and received. We did had the "Site to Site" transmitters, like what they first installed in NYC back in the 70's. Microwave communications are still used be the Military in some places. And yes they can triangulate a location of a cell phone in use. And yes we do have the as we use to called them in the Military "Secret Squirrel Cages" that monitor millions of calls at each location and zero in on key words and record them.

Now what I'm saying is that if a person were to have a jamming device like what the OP was talking about, I'm sure that it would have the range that is needed to track it down. It would probably be so low that it wouldn't even show up as a blip. Maybe only a few hundred yards if even that. Kind like the "Watt Jammers" that a truck driver devised to shove a few thousand watts down the throat of an easy dropping cops CB and burn it out. They had those back in the early 70's and they only had a mile or so of range, but were still effective in that short distance.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Nice back track. You said "we're past using radio frequencies". I simply stated that EVERYTHING wireless relating to cell phone service DOES, in fact, use radio frequencies. We are, in fact, very much NOT past using RF.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 PM

FYI: Yes, the law regarding the disruption of communication was writtien in 1934. It has not been changed since and still applies per the FCC. A jamming device is STILL illegal as it still disrupts the communication via a LEGAL signal using legal communication devices. ANYTHING that disrupts communication via illegal means is a crime. There are many "layers" to this as I'm very well aware of it due to one of the large communication companies in this area is one of our customers. I've actually had to file police reports for people tampering w/ our companies equipment that disrupts service. As it right now in 2010 the law written in 1934 is still very much effective. So your jamming devices are STILL illegal

There are many cases where the 1934 statute was upheld and many in the last few years.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 11-01-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM

It's amazing how people get so riled up over such a small minuscule thing such as this, I love to sit back and watch. It's almost as much fun as getting the Bible thumpers going, LOL!!! You Guys have fun and enjoy the day, take care and be good. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. It's not that I was wanting argue, it was the fun of getting you all going and reading your reactions.

Now here's the next question for the day, LOL!!

Last edited by EarthBound?; 01-25-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 43,415 times
Interesting idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive