Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 PM

532 posts, read 1,177,344 times

Advertisements

I have a 1999 Chevy Lumina 3.1 V6.....

I know I need new front pads on my car, however the car's steering wheel is shaking badly at braking and I have been driving it like this for a while. I'm assuming my rotors are badly warped to the point that resurfacing won't help and I need new rotors.

My question is: if I go to a mechanic to 'replace my brakes', does that usually include just pads, or pads and rotors?

Also, what would something like this cost at a shop vs. do it myself? I know it will cost less to do it myself, but if the shop can do it for close to the same cost I'd rather have them do it to save my time because I have very little free time.

Lastly, what kind of rotors and pads should I look for for a DIY job?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,859 times
Yes-the vibration while braking tells me that your rotors are probably warped badly. New front rotors for your car should be around $20 each from an auto parts store. Most auto parts stores will have what they call service, better and premium pads. Service are usually around $25, better around $35 and premium around $50. I do a lot of side work and have used all of the grades. I do not notice a difference in them except for in vehicles such as my own 2001 Excursion in which the premium do last longer.

Prices you say for brake jobs at shops are for pad replacement only and does not include rotors. The cheapest deals you see will be with using the cheapest pads the shop can find. A shop will also mark up the price on the rotors as well. You should be able to save a good amount doing the brakes yourself.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM

What kinda of rotors are good? I see plain, slotted, cross drilled,etc. What does it all mean? *dumb*

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,859 times
If your 1999 Lumina is stock with no modifications I would suggest going with stock rotors such as the car came with. The slotted, cross drilled, etc. are made for performance and dissipate the heat quicker under heavy braking. They are good but not necessary for a 1999 Lumina.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks! Repped you for your help

Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,233,987 times
My 1995 Lincoln was doing this... shaking when I would apply the brakes. I knew the rotors were warped and needed to be "resurfaced / turned", or replaced (they cant turn them any longer after they get so worn down). I could have had them resurfaced for $8 each, but all of the shops that could do it were closed and I had already removed everything, so I had to purchase brand new rotors... the cheapest ones at Autozone were $29.99 each, so I went with those and purchased new brake pads. Me and my dad did the work in about 25 minutes, which was including time taking the tires off and on. I kept my old rotors incase they are still servicable, I can perhaps have them resurfaced and use in the future.

So... the parts were around $90 after all was said and done. I think a shop would have charged $100 or more labor. I am sure some cars are easier than others... some require more of this and that to get the pads/rotors off. Personally, I have never done them before alone, but my dad has changed brakes on about everything, so he helped... ok, ok, he did it and I watched. lol.

NOW, the brakes are smooth as silk... the shaking steering wheel is gone (I hated that).

I would say on a Lumina, changing would be easy and rotors would probably be fairly cheap for a Lumina since they are probably smaller than the ones my Lincoln use. I had a Lumina about 8 years ago and changed the brakes, but dont recall how hard it was... mine was a 1994.

If you can do the labor yourself, you would probably save a bundle. If a shop has to replace/resurface the rotors, they would probably charge even more labor.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive