Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

I think the risk is higher at a quick lube place. An oil change should be a no risk service.

You're just suggesting that if they screw it up they'll cover the damage. Maybe. They may also deny they are at fault. In this case, if the OP had not watched the service they might not have fixed it at all. How is that less risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
I'm 29 and been changing my oil since I was 17. I'm about ready to start paying someone to change the oil now. The hot oil always gets all over the place since car companies don't put the filter in good place. Then you have to funnel the old oil out of the drain tub into an empty 5qt jub and take it back to the store for recycling.

But then I read stories like yours and the pain and mess is just a faded memory

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
My girlfriend just bought new tires from Firestone()....Just recently her emergency brake light came on. Seems like these idiots somehow managed to damage her brake line

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This weekend I changed the oil in my old Camry, pulled the car into Garage Mahal where I dropped the old oil (taking the plug out with a Snap-On end wrench that I have owned about 30 years), put on a Pure 1 oil filter after carefully putting at least a little oil in the filter so it won't wait so long to build oil pressure, re-installed the drain plug with a new genuine Toyota ring gasket, torqued it carefully with that Snap-On wrench, then poured in the correct 4.3 us quarts of Castrol 10-30 without spilling any.

Actual work time was probably about 5 minutes, although I generally let the car cool off a few hours after draining the oil and before messing with the filter, it's just easier to deal with when it's cold.

Once the car cooled down I changed out the 4 spark plugs, turns out I was diliquent as the old ones were well past their prime. New NGK V-powers of the correct type went in with a bit of copper-based anti seize on the threads. Thanks to the anti-seize I put on the old plugs although they were in the head probably 2 years they came out without any problem.

No grease prints on the car anywhere, I didn't have to listen to any BS about all sorts of "flushing" operations or sales pitches for cheap shock absorbers.

Remind me again why you don't DIY?
Did I post this..

Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Not everyone has a garage. Most places frown on doing car work in the parking lot. Where do you suggest one go?
People frown on a lot of things. Young people go ahead and do them anyway. Why stop now.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
People frown on a lot of things. Young people go ahead and do them anyway. Why stop now.
Because you don't want to get fined or towed?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
those imbeciles!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
DIY and you take 100% of the risk. Dealer do it and THEY take 100% of the risk. Now that's a no brainer!
Some of us actually possess a fair level of competence to perform an oil change ourselves. It's not rocket science...and there is no chance of reward without some degree of risk. And based on some quick-lube and dealership horror stories, I'll stick to doing it myself.

I can't speak for the other DIY'ers here but I am rewarded with a strange sense of satisfaction after changing my own oil and filter. For the last 100,000 miles I had my old Santa Fe, I changed the oil myself and the only reason I let the dealer do the first change on my new one was because it was free. They did it at 1,500 miles per my request to get the factory oil out. I'll do it again at 5,000, switch to full synthetic at 10,000 and change it every 7,500 after that. Easy. Done.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Once the car cooled down I changed out the 4 spark plugs, turns out I was diliquent as the old ones were well past their prime. New NGK V-powers of the correct type went in with a bit of copper-based anti seize on the threads. Thanks to the anti-seize I put on the old plugs although they were in the head probably 2 years they came out without any problem.

Just an FYI, at BMW M/C service training they say no anti-seize on plugs, it interferes with heat transfer to the head.

Last edited by burdell; 11-16-2010 at 06:30 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You're just suggesting that if they screw it up they'll cover the damage. Maybe. They may also deny they are at fault. In this case, if the OP had not watched the service they might not have fixed it at all. How is that less risk?
My dad had a previous car taken to a dealership for the complimentary oil change that comes with a new vehicle purchase. The techs did not place oil plug properly after oil change and a few miles later, all the oil drained out of the car. Good thing we were almost home instead of on a freeway, possible causing a safety hazard to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive