Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM

109 posts, read 165,538 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time, I owned a 2000 F350 diesel, manual trans. Bought it summer '05. Great work truck. Less than a year after I bought it, the tranny grenaded. Took it to the local dealer, still under my warranty. Dealership wanted me to wait 3 months for a factory tranny, or pay the difference to upgrade to aftermarket, so not wanting to be without a vehicle for 3 months, I coughed up 1k and rolled out of there a week later. Not even 24 months later, tranny grenaded again. Took it back to the same dealership, they wanted 5k to fix it. Said the tranny wasn't under the extended warranty anymore because it wasn't factory parts. When I produce the repair invoice that proves THEY did the tranny swap, all the dealership manager says is "Oh, we fired that guy over a year ago."

Needless to say, I don't own that truck anymore, and will never own a Ford again. Before anyone asks, I drove it less than 150 miles a week, back and forth to work, never heavily loaded. Fully serviced and well cared for, didn't matter.... When stuff is going to break, it's going to break.

Now I own a Dodge, 2 years older, triple the miles, runs like a champ. Bottom line, YMMV I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

362 posts, read 389,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Sorry, meant to say. ASE.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:54 AM

[quote=hoffdano;16707746]It seems you value reliability above all else. There ARE other factors for many of us when we choose a car. I don't mean to offend you - but reliable or not, I will likely never have a Camry in my household. It is a classic generic family sedan and there is almost nothing satisfying about it.

quote]

I agree. Performance wise, it's quite boring. At age 52 and having had fun cars that let me down, reliablility can be kinda exciting in it's own rite.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,003,144 times
[quote=PeepoRsheep;16714337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It seems you value reliability above all else. There ARE other factors for many of us when we choose a car. I don't mean to offend you - but reliable or not, I will likely never have a Camry in my household. It is a classic generic family sedan and there is almost nothing satisfying about it.

quote]

I agree. Performance wise, it's quite boring. At age 52 and having had fun cars that let me down, reliablility can be kinda exciting in it's own rite.
I am the same age. I am not ready for boring cars.

You could step up to a Japanese Buick, the Avalon.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,297,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdoc View Post
Once upon a time, I owned a 2000 F350 diesel, manual trans. Bought it summer '05. Great work truck. Less than a year after I bought it, the tranny grenaded. Took it to the local dealer, still under my warranty. Dealership wanted me to wait 3 months for a factory tranny, or pay the difference to upgrade to aftermarket, so not wanting to be without a vehicle for 3 months, I coughed up 1k and rolled out of there a week later. Not even 24 months later, tranny grenaded again. Took it back to the same dealership, they wanted 5k to fix it. Said the tranny wasn't under the extended warranty anymore because it wasn't factory parts. When I produce the repair invoice that proves THEY did the tranny swap, all the dealership manager says is "Oh, we fired that guy over a year ago."

Needless to say, I don't own that truck anymore, and will never own a Ford again. Before anyone asks, I drove it less than 150 miles a week, back and forth to work, never heavily loaded. Fully serviced and well cared for, didn't matter.... When stuff is going to break, it's going to break.

Now I own a Dodge, 2 years older, triple the miles, runs like a champ. Bottom line, YMMV I guess.
I don't blame you for Dumping that Ford. I bought a brand new Dodge Ramcharger back in 86. What a POS drove it for a year and could not stand it any longer so I drove it to a Ford dealer and said give me that Bronco and you can have this Dodge.
Owned Ford trucks ever since. Still driving my 1995 Powestroke 4x4 Pickup.+

Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,192,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
My current camry is a 2001 with a J vin no. It is the last year of that model run and wasn't the redesigned model. Runs perfect. I drive a 1200 mile trip 2 times a year and whistle past broken down fords on the side of the road dead all during the trips. You couldn't give me a Fusion after what I read on the edmunds forums. (3 years in a row?, are you serious?). I test drove a Fusion just for giggles. Every car runs nice brand new. But even then I felt something in the trans I didn't like. I'm a former ACE certified tech.

I've had one light bulb burn out in 10 years. Replaced some engine seals and the normal timing belt stuff every 100k miles. Still runs like new. Can't say enough about this car and all the money I've saved.

I've used to buy american as well. Never again. I feel for the OP. Why would he ever want another Ford product.
Of the hundred plus cars I've owned in the last 30+ years of driving, only three were bought new. All three were American, and all three never needed repairs in the entire time I owned them: a '96 Ford Ranger, a '99 Ford SVT Contour, and an '02 Chrysler PT Cruiser. I drove my Contour from Seattle to Baltimore, and it was used out on the autocross track, as was my PT Cruiser (which was drivein regularly round trip from Baltimore to Hartford CT and back, up to Maine, down to Kitty Hawk, and on a separate trip, down to Orlando).

I'm really tired of the "I see more ____ broken on the side of the road" posts, because you see what you want to see. The fact is, breakdowns occur regularly in all sorts of cars. You NOTICE what you want to on the side of the road. And unless there's a tow truck on it's way, you don't know why it's parked there. Could be as simple as running out of gas. Could have been stolen and abandoned. And you certainly don't know how they were maintained. You are simply making assumptions based on bias, then thinking that those assumptions are incontrovertable fact. That's a major logic fail.

Buy what you like, but don't use BS to justify it.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I'm really tired of the "I see more ____ broken on the side of the road" posts, because you see what you want to see. .
And yet you keep reading them..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,192,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
And yet you keep reading them..
So, reading them and pointing oput thye logicval flaws is bad, but actually posting them is a goal. Riiiight. Maybe, you ought to respond intelligently, instead of being smarmy.

I'm tired of closed minded idiocy, but it's not going away, so the most intelligent thing to do, instead of burying my head in the sand and wishing people would grow more brain cells, is to point out the lack of intelligence. I find it amusing then to watch the small minded try to defend BEING so.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
well, i ended up getting $1,650 for the car, sold it to a guy who is going to put in a new motor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive