Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

When my 85 olds delta 88 is warmed up good the heater blows out lukewarm heat.

I think i may need a new thermostat (its old).

Do you agree & if yes, what temperature ?

My radiator & heater core is good & i flushed my radiator last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Does it have a temp gauge? Does the needle barely move past the "cold" reading, esp. at highway speed? If so, then indeed you need a new thermostat.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Does it have a temp gauge? Does the needle barely move past the "cold" reading, esp. at highway speed? If so, then indeed you need a new thermostat.
The car has a dummy light.

UGH !

Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
You might also have a problem with your heater temp control. And if it's the thermostat, the hotter the better.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
What if the car has just been sitting at idle for a while? Does the heat coming out of the vents feel warmer versus when it's moving?

Without anything more specific than an idiot light to go by, one way to check is to take it to a shop that has one of those infrared gun thingies they can point at the radiator neck to get a temperature reading.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Since i live in a mild climate ill most likely leave it alone cause i rarely drive at night (when its the coldest) & the winters are short here.

My car would be worthless in a cold climate.

Its a gas guzzler so i only drive it when i have to such as getting to work, grocery shopping & va hospital.

I only get 15 mph combined (city/highway).

Old 11-20-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What if the car has just been sitting at idle for a while? Does the heat coming out of the vents feel warmer versus when it's moving?

Without anything more specific than an idiot light to go by, one way to check is to take it to a shop that has one of those infrared gun thingies they can point at the radiator neck to get a temperature reading.
The heat is is the same (lukewarm) after sitting idle for awhile.

No heat comes out hot & toasty.

I just turn it off after awhile cause its useless.

It did almost the same thing last winter.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Without a gauge it is hard to tell. Heater cores WILL gradually degrade as build up collects on the tube walls and effectively inhibits heat transfer. You should REVERSE flush the heater core coolant circuit, this will break loose most of that build up. Another thing is the mixer door for directing flow could be getting stuck prematurely.

However, the first and easiest thing is to do is replace the thermostat. If it's old it should be done anyway. They are very cheap and accessible for that engine.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 AM

The heater used to work really good but not anymore.

Yrs back i owned a 78 mustang & the thermostat stuck so the car over heated. I replaced the stat & then shortly thereafter the heater core leaked.

I disconnected the heater hoses & had no heat for a few yrs. It wasnt too bad unless the front window fogged up.

It rarely gets below freezing here & thats at night. The coldest daytime highs in winter may peak in the mid 40s but not often.

Avg winter highs is 60-70 degrees.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Lukewarm heat could mean a thermostat that's stuck open all the time.

Lukewarm heat could also mean the flap on the door for the hot/cold selector isn't fully opening to allow the heater core to be fully exposed.

Lukewarm heat could also indicate a restriction in the heater core. aka plugged up. Especially if you've ever used that radiator stop leak crap in your cooling system.

I'd pull the t stat 1st and see if it's open when the engine is cold, and if in doubt replace it, they're not expensive. Then make sure the flap on the hvac box is opening all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive