Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I visit a few Lincoln Town Car forums and am surprised how many members are under 30 years old.

Believe it or not this seems pretty consistent with Cadillac forums. There are many fans for the older models in that same demographic. That said, I don't think its very accurate to assume internet populations are proportional to total ones. Maybe though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
my biggest issue with the Town Car, personally, is the outdated engine/transmission and driving dynamics. If they even want to pretend to sell those things for $50k, then it should at least out-muscle V6 family sedans and have 5 or more forward gears.
I don't consider the engine/transmission outdated. They are both computer-controlled, just like on other modern cars. My '95 TC can give over 25 mpg with freeway driving, even though it weighs about 4,200 lbs, is a true 6-passenger car and is 18 feet long.

Yes, they could use an engine with more horsepower but then the fuel mileage would go down, probably quite a bit. One could always order a lower rear-axle ratio if that's still possible.

What do you mean "pretend" to sell them for $50k? Actually, compared to those overpriced Mercedes and BMWs, the Town Cars are almost a bargain.

Quote:
Also, if Hyundai can make a big RWD sedan with a cushy ride AND well-controlled handling, then so should Lincoln.
Hyundai doesn't make a big sedan! I've seen road tests of cars in which the Lincoln compares very favorably with other (some smaller) cars in skid pad figures.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
Quote:
Hyundai doesn't make a big sedan! I've seen road tests of cars in which the Lincoln compares very favorably with other (some smaller) cars in skid pad figures.
Hyundai Equus Luxury Sedan | Premium Luxury Car from Hyundai

385 hp, 16/24 mpg (same as the Town Car), $58,000. I'd hardly call a decked-out taxi cab a bargain at 2x the MSRP of a Crown Vic.

sure, it doesn't have 6 seats, but I'd rather ride in the back of this any day.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Hyundai Equus Luxury Sedan | Premium Luxury Car from Hyundai

385 hp, 16/24 mpg (same as the Town Car), $58,000. I'd hardly call a decked-out taxi cab a bargain at 2x the MSRP of a Crown Vic.

sure, it doesn't have 6 seats, but I'd rather ride in the back of this any day.
Some would agree with you and some wouldn't. I would prefer the Lincoln, especially the L-series. Don't show your ignorance by referring to the Town Car as a decked-out taxi cab. They are bigger, have more expensive/different quality interiors and ride better.

The photo you posted looks like the interior of a mid-sized car. Here is the interior of a true full-sized car with a very large rear compartment...

Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You might want to check that fact again, plus it is against TOS on C-D to post photos that are not your own, instead you need to post links to the originals.
Actually I have. I've done a lot of research on this subject over the years as a webmaster and graphic designer. Hotlinking in webforums like this is the idea behind the web, and why there are img tags in the forum software. It's standard forum practice on the web.

In fact if you rehost the pictures yourself, you are more likely to be in copyright violation. Leaving them on the server that originally hosted them leaves teh links intact and is identical in practice to going to that site to view them.

Trust me on this. Don't argue, you won't like the result.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
What color is that 61 Linc you posted 63Merc? Is it even stock?
Completely stock. The color is Summer Rose. A lighter version of Rose Glow, which was also available that year.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I don't consider the engine/transmission outdated. They are both computer-controlled, just like on other modern cars. My '95 TC can give over 25 mpg with freeway driving, even though it weighs about 4,200 lbs, is a true 6-passenger car and is 18 feet long.

Yes, they could use an engine with more horsepower but then the fuel mileage would go down, probably quite a bit. One could always order a lower rear-axle ratio if that's still possible.
My older BMW 7 series is faster, quicker, and gets 30 mpg highway at 75 mpg, with a smaller engine. And it weighs 4200 lbs, as well. It also handles better, stops better, holds as many people with as much interior comfort, but with vastly better driver feedback.

Quote:
What do you mean "pretend" to sell them for $50k? Actually, compared to those overpriced Mercedes and BMWs, the Town Cars are almost a bargain.
At $50k, they don't have the features or raw ability that the others do, nor do they have the build quality to sell in that environment.

Quote:
Hyundai's Genesis and new Equus sedans are as big and heavy as your Lincolns. And none of the cars the Lincoln compares favorably in skid pad tests are in any way enjoyable to drive, especially in corners. the big Lincolns are unresponsive, wallowy and floaty, and don't give much confidence in theri athletic abilities. Fine back in the day when ALL luxury cars were like that, but just outclassed these days when a luxury car needs to do so much more (especially since luxury features are readily available in non-luxury cars).

I LOVE full size luxury cars of the '60s, and would love to see Lincoln rise to the top now as it was back in the '60s. But it has to offer a lot more than it currently does in order for that to happen. It has to be a style leader, a tech leader AND have ability/poise and proper feedback. Right now it's like a 50 year old couch potato ex-jock that thinks he can hang with the 25-30 year olds in the weekend football game. It could be so much more.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Right now it's like a 50 year old couch potato ex-jock that thinks he can hang with the 25-30 year olds in the weekend football game. It could be so much more.
Excellent way of putting it.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 AM

860 posts, read 2,205,015 times
1978 Lincoln Town Car for Sale - Gateway Classic Cars gimme

Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
My older BMW 7 series is faster, quicker, and gets 30 mpg highway at 75 mpg, with a smaller engine. And it weighs 4200 lbs, as well. It also handles better, stops better, holds as many people with as much interior comfort, but with vastly better driver feedback.

At $50k, they don't have the features or raw ability that the others do, nor do they have the build quality to sell in that environment.

Hyundai's Genesis and new Equus sedans are as big and heavy as your Lincolns. And none of the cars the Lincoln compares favorably in skid pad tests are in any way enjoyable to drive, especially in corners. the big Lincolns are unresponsive, wallowy and floaty, and don't give much confidence in theri athletic abilities. Fine back in the day when ALL luxury cars were like that, but just outclassed these days when a luxury car needs to do so much more (especially since luxury features are readily available in non-luxury cars).

I LOVE full size luxury cars of the '60s, and would love to see Lincoln rise to the top now as it was back in the '60s. But it has to offer a lot more than it currently does in order for that to happen. It has to be a style leader, a tech leader AND have ability/poise and proper feedback. Right now it's like a 50 year old couch potato ex-jock that thinks he can hang with the 25-30 year olds in the weekend football game. It could be so much more.
First off the Lincoln Twon cars in not priced at $50K, it's priced at over $46K.

Hyundai Genesis and Equus is not the same size as the TC;

TC Lenght;

1998–2002 SWB: 215.3 in (5469 mm)
2003–present SWB: 215.4 in (5471 mm)
1999–2002 LWB: 221.3 in (5621 mm)
2003–present LWB: 221.4 in (5624 mm)

Width; 1998–2002: 78.2 in (1986 mm)
2003–present: 78.5 in (1994 mm)

Hyundai Genesis;

Lenght
195.9 in (4975.9 mm)Width74.4 in (1889.8 mm)

And the New Equus;

Length5,160 mm (203.1 in)
(limo: 5,460 mm (215.0 in)) Width1,900 mm (74.8 in)

As you can see the Genesis and Equus are NOT true large sedans.

And besides some people don't want to sit "on" a car they want to sit "in" and that's what the TCs are for and meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive