Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times

Advertisements

Am I missing something?

The OP is just going from SF to NV, and you're wanting to send him via Nashville?

(By the way, I've needed chains more than once on I-40 and 90...and seen both closed more than once. Seen I-65 closed more than once as well. That route is no guarantee of not needing chains. Less likelihood, sure, but no guarantee at all, especially given I-40's and 90's elevations out west and how far north 90 is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Am I missing something?

The OP is just going from SF to NV, and you're wanting to send him via Nashville?

(By the way, I've needed chains more than once on I-40 and 90...and seen both closed more than once. Seen I-65 closed more than once as well. That route is no guarantee of not needing chains. Less likelihood, sure, but no guarantee at all, especially given I-40's and 90's elevations out west and how far north 90 is.)

I understood him to be going to Minden NY, one of the most beautiful places in the US.

Ooop! Nevada it is. Yuck! He should go to Minden NY instead. It is snow covered and fantastic in the winter.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:05 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
LOL, I'm sure Minden NY is beautiful too but I like Minden, NV just fine. Apart from the fact that my girlfriends family is down that way, I find Minden to be a nice peaceful get away and a nice contrast to my typical days in the busy Bay Area. It's quite beautiful there, surrounded by mountains on all four sides and a short drive from Lake Tahoe.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:18 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I just bought new chains for my truck last season, boy have they changed.
You now order per size and they are well fit. No more rubbers, you use a "key" and the chains have cam locks that snug them up very tight. They are running $120 for a nice set. I have two sets as mine is 4x4, and the wife's truck has the same tire size. I did not have any chain rattle with these cam locks.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
LOL, I'm sure Minden NY is beautiful too but I like Minden, NV just fine. Apart from the fact that my girlfriends family is down that way, I find Minden to be a nice peaceful get away and a nice contrast to my typical days in the busy Bay Area. It's quite beautiful there, surrounded by mountains on all four sides and a short drive from Lake Tahoe.

Sorry I can't persuade you over to NY.

Minden NV sounds real nice too. I have a rough weather vehicle but nowhere to use it in that Cincinnati has about an inch of snow each winter. I dream of chains and snowfall. Maybe I should go to upstate NY.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Nashville is a tad farther east than 200 miles from Cali. and a fair piece to get back to Nevada, doncha think? Or is there some other Nashville not in Tn you are tawkin about?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
I'll put this as directly as possible: A driver that is inexperienced in winter driving should not be driving in winter conditions where chains will be required. Period. That is the kind of invitation for disaster that could leave the inexperienced driver injured or killed--or, worse yet, injuring or killing some other innocent motorist. I've seen far too much of that firsthand--and it's nearly 100% preventable if people would not drive under conditions that are beyond their driving skills.

I have about 40 years of experience in mountain winter driving conditions (some on roads that make I-80 in the Sierra's look like child's play). I can count on one hand the number of times that I have had to "chain up." Why? Because I figured out a long time ago that if conditions are severe enough to require chains, it's probably just a good idea to park and wait out the storm.

There are some very good training programs available to teach winter driving skills. I was fortunate in that I had a father who was probably one of the best winter drivers there ever was, and he spent a great deal of time when I was a young lad teaching me those skills. About the only time he "chained up" was when bucking a couple of feet of snow on our ranch road--chained up all the way around in a 4x4 pickup--snow deep and drifted enough that we would have to thaw all of the packed snow and ice out of the radiator of the pickup when we got the truck inside. Other than that, I think I saw him chain up once on a highway.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'll put this as directly as possible: A driver that is inexperienced in winter driving should not be driving in winter conditions where chains will be required. Period. That is the kind of invitation for disaster that could leave the inexperienced driver injured or killed--or, worse yet, injuring or killing some other innocent motorist. I've seen far too much of that firsthand--and it's nearly 100% preventable if people would not drive under conditions that are beyond their driving skills.

I have about 40 years of experience in mountain winter driving conditions (some on roads that make I-80 in the Sierra's look like child's play). I can count on one hand the number of times that I have had to "chain up." Why? Because I figured out a long time ago that if conditions are severe enough to require chains, it's probably just a good idea to park and wait out the storm.

There are some very good training programs available to teach winter driving skills. I was fortunate in that I had a father who was probably one of the best winter drivers there ever was, and he spent a great deal of time when I was a young lad teaching me those skills. About the only time he "chained up" was when bucking a couple of feet of snow on our ranch road--chained up all the way around in a 4x4 pickup--snow deep and drifted enough that we would have to thaw all of the packed snow and ice out of the radiator of the pickup when we got the truck inside. Other than that, I think I saw him chain up once on a highway.

^^^^ Now there's some sensible advice right there I'll tell you.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I agree, but didn't think that advice would fly. Around here first snow is like a spectator sport, with cars in the ditch everywhichy way

A skilled driver can drive on snow and ice with bald summer tires, and not have a whit of a problem.

New to snow drivers in a 4x4 can still have problems.

All my chainups have been to assist in plowing snow, and only when I know i will really need them, usually late winter on ice about 1 foot thick.

I learned as a teen on frozen over lakes. You can drive out on ice and do the most foolish things, but it teaches you with reasonable safety.

Some people with 4x4 still can't drive worth a hoot. One time some guy with a full size 4x4 blazer got stuck on my class 6 un-maintained road in the fresh snow. I was plowing the 1.5 miles section where I lived to the town class 5 road that is town plowed.

I pulled the guy out with my similar 4x4 K-15, and told him to pull into a place I cleared, and to follow me out. He failed the advice, and went ahead of me making plowing harder, but then got stuck again. That time I pushed off the loaded blade into the brook and backed out leaving him there. It was his problem at that point.

I had all day to finish pushin that road off.

My plow truck rides on very worn illegal road tires, because i am sick of breaking axels. Smooth no tread tires plow better and don't break axels as often.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree, but didn't think that advice would fly. Around here first snow is like a spectator sport, with cars in the ditch everywhichy way

I live to pull them out of the ditch. I wish we had some serious snow here because with all the hills every time it snow this place is chaotic. I have a full compliment of recovery equipment with me at all times but still get the chance only a few times each winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive