Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:43 AM

32 posts, read 129,453 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is an unusual question, but I'm trying it anyway.
I own two cars: a Mitsubishi Montero and a Lexus LS 430. I bought the Montero back in 2003 and like that ride, but last year i got some troubles with the Montero and I thought I would have to sell it. I bought the LS (it was a special offer - low price) and intended to sell the Montero - but the problems were not si big as previously expected (it was an engine problem which seemed worse than it was) - so my garage fixed it and I didn't sell the Montereo. That's why I now own two cars, but have to sell one of them - which one? I've been thinking it over again and again for the last months and still don't know what to do.

Here are my pros and cons of the two cars:

Montereo:
+ I love suv driving. I like the higher seating position, the four-wheel-drive, the more flexbile and bigger cargo room.
+ outstanding handling and traction in winter on snow - compared to the rear-wheel-drive ls
+ I have to tow trailers regularly, works quite well with the montereo
+ the ability to sleep in the car for 2 persons when doing a road trip
+ perfect seating position (for me), better than in the ls (see below)
+ like the styling of the montero
+ better mileage than the ls in urban driving

- 105.000 miles
- will need some repairs in the future: got some rust, the exhaust is making some uncommon sounds....
- because of the higher mileage and the problems I had in the past, I expect some repairs in the future

LS:
+ outstanding riding comfort, very quit
+ better mileage than the montereo on highway trips
+ much more horsepower and better acceleration than the montero
+ only 65.000 miles
+ I believe in the long-term-durability of lexus cars
+ looks like a new car (altough it's nearly 10 years old): no rusty parts, no other failures.
+ great audio system

- worse traction than the montero
- has no trailer hitch - but I need it (see above), so I'd have to install it: would cost around $ 700,-
- trunk not as usable and flexible as in the montero
- seating comfort: I don't know why, you can adjust the drivers seat in many ways and I'm quite sure I've tried all of them - but I can't find a perfect seating position. When doing longer trips I always get pain in my back.

You see: many pros and cons, I don't know what to do. What would you do in my situation? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Doesn't sound like much of a contest between these to me ...

You've got one vehicle that meets your all-around needs for transportation and utility (bad weather, towing, travel convenience, etc) ... and gets better fuel economy in what appears to be your major use, local driving.

Plus, it's apparently more comfortable for you than the Lexus which causes you back pain to drive it on trips.

Keep the Montero ... selll the Lexus. Doesn't matter how much nicer or lower mileage the Lexus is, if it doesn't meet your needs ....

Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM

32 posts, read 129,453 times
Thanky for you reply; I think it's a little bit of a contest.
Usually I drive not more than 40 - 60 miles a day, so the montero would be the better choice concerning fuel economy. On longer trips the LS' mileage isn't that better.
But I like doing long road trips and driving long distances, so the most important point to me is the seating position (back pain in the LS), even whem I'm not doing a road trip every week.

The only point is the better reliability of the LS, the Montero would need some repairs in the near future (rust, air condition doesn't work, exhaust), the LS seems totally failure free. Many of my friends advise me to sell the montereo because "it's a wreck compared to the ls".

Man, I don't know how to decide....

Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
If I was speaking for myself, the LS would be a better car in every possible way but for your described uses the Montero looks like the way to go. Or sell them both and buy one newer used SUV.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:13 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I don't think this sounds like a contest at all either but I'd sell the Mitsu and keep the Lexus. My parents have an LS460 and I drove it just a few days ago to get the oil changed for their winter months in Phoenix (yes, they're snowbirds). The Lexus is a better car in every way than the Mitsu and will hold up if you keep it for another 10 years which the Mitsu most certainly will not. Keep the Lexus...

Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
To me it looks like there's not much contest, for you at least. The Montero fits your needs much better than the Lexus. You could upgrade the audio system in the Montero for not much more than the LS hitch would cost.

The suggestion of selling both and buying a newer, better SUV is a good idea too. A buddy bought a used LX470, and now has over 250K miles on it with ho significant problems. He's added a supercharger, stepped up the audio, and trailer brake controls. He's towed trailers with tractors, cars, 2 waverunners, loads of yard garbage, and a skidsteer, with no problems at all.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:42 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Keep the Lexus.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:22 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
They don't even make the Montero anymore. Keep the Lexus, then get a GX

Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Sell both, buy a never SUV/Truck that meets your needs, but without all the hiccups. Peace of mind, more comfort (never), and in the long run, might very well be cheaper, considering the issues the Mitsu is starting to show.

EIDT: Hehe, I completely forgot you call the Mitsu Pajero, Montero (for obvious reasons, )

Those are generally pretty sturdy, even with rust, but the Landcruiser holds up even better. Get a newer Landcruiser to replace both cars. That'd be my tip.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Sell both, buy a never SUV/Truck that meets your needs, but without all the hiccups. Peace of mind, more comfort (never), and in the long run, might very well be cheaper, considering the issues the Mitsu is starting to show.

EIDT: Hehe, I completely forgot you call the Mitsu Pajero, Montero (for obvious reasons, )

Those are generally pretty sturdy, even with rust, but the Landcruiser holds up even better. Get a newer Landcruiser to replace both cars. That'd be my tip.
I don't know what product Landcruiser sells in your country ... but over here, you'd need to sell both the Montero and the Lexus to raise funds to keep the Landcruiser on the road if the vehicle was given to you.

These are simply one of the worst vehicles around here for reliability and durability. I've seen way too many of these fail to stay out of the dealership shops while under warranty ... broken, waiting for parts, or simply being driven with defects ....

FWIW, I've gooogled problems with these vehicles and you can readily find serious mechanical failures in addition to electrical/electronics, engine hard part problems, and so forth ... even in England, where dissatisfied customers have set up housekeeping in front of their dealerships.

The window tint shop next to my mechanical shop used to have the tinting and pinstriping business of the local LR dealers. Many times, I saw window failures, vehicles fail to start, and other problems ... on brand new, never titled or yet delivered new vehicles ... they'd have to have new cars towed back to the dealership when they were done with the tinting. Of my clients, I advised many to not buy these lumps ... but because of vanity and prestige, some did. None of them ever saw more than 3 or 4 months of use in each of the first years of ownership because the LR was at the dealership for warranty repairs. When you're looking at broken suspension components, or blown head gaskets, or other similar major work on a vehicle that was used in town to ferry kids to school and Mom to the supermarket and golf course ... that's pretty pathetic. These weren't even off-roaded vehicles.

Whatever ... don't take my word for it. Look up the CR owner reports of reliability and problem areas with these vehicles. Or check the owner forums for their "fixes" for the common problems of these cars. FWIW, I've never seen a LR used for towing anything, either. The OP needs a vehicle that is rated to tow their trailer ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive