Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:50 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,355,650 times

Advertisements

I’m narrowing down my SUV choices over the weekend & decided to buy now. I've utilized the car buying tool at www.myproductadvisor.com, as well as done a fair amount of research at ½-dozen websites & although I lean towards Nissan Xterra (I just like the look & most owners seem to like it), my recommendations are always the same in the under $25K group: Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Subaru Forester. They’re all similarly priced.

As I was checking out varying vehicles, I noticed the 2011 prices don’t really differ from 2010. I plan to have this car ‘til it expires. My last was 17-yrs old when it finally had to be ground up for tea spoons. If this one lasts that long, it will bring me right into retirement when I'll probably revert back to my sub-compact ways so I can better get in & out of parking spaces at swap meets & Bingo rallies.

Shouldn’t I just buy a 2011? Wouldn’t any previous years’ bugs have been worked out in the 2011 so it’s a better deal? And, isn’t it better the vehicle hasn’t been sitting around unused for 1-yr on a lot even if I'm given any sort of year end deal?

Next, the Outlander is the only one which has a 120/100K warranty. Does that automatically mean it has to be a far better car if they’ll warranty it that long & I should consider my search over? If not, why would they offer such a warranty? They must assume it won’t be needed?

I’m doing a process of elimination on paper first. I have only driven the CR-V. (BTW, it’s nothing special to me, but I’m glad with its reliability & safety record that my soccer mom sister with a sheepdog has one... meaning, I know I'd be safe with it, but I'd feel real bloody blase owning one.)

Second step is I’ll need to rent a car to visit dealerships to test drive the others and/or attempt to rent a specific model at a rental agency (I’m carless), which I found as hard as pulling teeth… they’ll guarantee an SUV, not exact make/model. I suppose that will help me in eliminating 1-2 or at least give me a pecking order.

I know there are people here from all camps, but I thought I’d solicit opinions anyway. So, 2011? 2010? Slightly used 2010 with very low mileage? Or, just grab an Outlander with the 120/100K warranty?

Thank you all very much!

P.S. Sorry for the teeny, tiny print... I've no idea what happened or how to correct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,580,764 times
You should get a much better deal buying a 2010 than you would buying a 2011. The Xterra is in a different class than the smaller utes. It is a true 4wd vehicle as opposed to part time awd like the others. I have also heard nothing but good things about it but have also heard that its gas milage is dismal.
A used 2010 or 2009 will save you even more money if you go that route.
The Outlanders warrenty more than likely only covers the motor and tranny, nothing else. Mitsu is betting that those two items will rarely fail. Its nothing more than a bet on their part. It means nothing about how the car rides or if you will enjoy it or not.

Since you are carless, i would rent a cheap car for a few days and go a test drive as many vehicles as you can.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You should get a much better deal buying a 2010 than you would buying a 2011.
Hiker... That's what I thought but when I check prices online, they're vitually the same (at least on the 1/2-dozen SUVs I checked out)... unless you mean catching year-end sales, incentives, etc. So, maybe it's just good timing for me that I'm purchasing at this time.

Quote:
The Xterra is in a different class than the smaller utes. It is a true 4wd vehicle as opposed to part time awd like the others. I have also heard nothing but good things about it but have also heard that its gas milage is dismal.
Yes, the message boards for X owners are full of praises. I'm trying to take in info from everywhere. Always loved the X's looks & that cargo space will be regularly used. Off road isn't necessary, but would be utilized a few times/yr & I may be moving to Denver next summer from CA, so I suppose the road handling would be better in an X. This time 'round I'd love to spring for something I really like.

I've read that gas mileage is the worst of any SUV, which also made me wonder what penalties would be imposed down the line or if laws could require expensive modifications... it will surely negatively impact resale prices for used cars. That's my only real hesitancy now... well, & just reading of the recall for multiple years. It's hard to decide.

Quote:
The Outlanders warrenty more than likely only covers the motor and tranny, nothing else. Mitsu is betting that those two items will rarely fail. Its nothing more than a bet on their part. It means nothing about how the car rides or if you will enjoy it or not.
I have no idea what a transmission is, but isn't the motor the entire innerds of the car? Meaning, whatever goes wrong is part of the engine?

Quote:
Since you are carless, i would rent a cheap car for a few days and go a test drive as many vehicles as you can.
Good advice & I'll be doing that probably next week. I wanted to narrow down models based on stats first. I'd ideally like to rent an X & drive it around for 1-2 days, since I really like it. I can then see firsthand how negligable the mileage will be.

Common sense tells me the CR-V would be the safest bet... I have 2 family members who drive nothing but since they've had such good luck with them... but, they've got kids/dogs always stuffed in them & that's what the car looks like to me... a parent's car.

I'm far leaning towards X still. I love the way any Jeep looks, but I've never seen one on a list of bests.

Thanks very much for addressing everything... it's been very helpful.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,904,050 times
My boss has a Xterra. Good in the snow. But the interior sucks! You can't even get a power drivers seat. Just grey plastic everywhere and no luxury. I'm surprised it has power windows LOL. I also hate getting into the back seat, the rear door is tiny.

If you want best 4x4 and not flashy, check into a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The interior has been updated and has this best off-road capabilities. Plus, the convertible option is killer in California, even in Denver!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
My boss has a Xterra. Good in the snow. But the interior sucks! You can't even get a power drivers seat. Just grey plastic everywhere and no luxury. I'm surprised it has power windows LOL. I also hate getting into the back seat, the rear door is tiny.
PM... Yes, I have read that complaint before, but was comforted that the complains weren't about the car's reliability, etc., just bare bones, no frills interior. It is surprising the interior isn't a bit plusher.

Quote:
If you want best 4x4 and not flashy, check into a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The interior has been updated and has this best off-road capabilities. Plus, the convertible option is killer in California, even in Denver!
As I said above "I love the way any Jeep looks, but I've never seen one on a list of bests." so I excluded it early from research,I'm guessing that means Jeeps aren't as reliable if it never even makes any top 10 list? I'll check around later to see if I missed something & to read reviews from Jeep owners.

Flashy doesn't bother me... boring, yes, hence my blase attitude with the dull CR-V... who knows, it might be my best bet to own... comes out top of many best ofs.

I do like that Jeeps looks smaller & more manageable (as a life long sub-compact owner), easier to pull into tight parking spaces. Cargo space looked less to me, however. I'm sure they've changed a lot, but I remember my brother had a Jeep 30-yrs ago... I still remember sitting on a wooden back seat through the Las Vegas desert... ouch.

Thank you for your reply. I will do some Jeep research.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 PM

[quote=PatanjaliTwist;16569305]Hiker... That's what I thought but when I check prices online, they're vitually the same (at least on the 1/2-dozen SUVs I checked out)... unless you mean catching year-end sales, incentives, etc. So, maybe it's just good timing for me that I'm purchasing at this time.

I have no idea what a transmission is, but isn't the motor the entire innerds of the car? Meaning, whatever goes wrong is part of the engine?

[quote]

Thats exactly what I meant. Since 2011's are out, dealers would be more than likely to deal on 2010's. Prices online won't show the price you may be able to get. but you will still have to bargain to get the best price.

The motor and transmission are 2 different things. The motor provides the power why the tranny is what you use to shift your car thru its gears.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,904,050 times
After some research, I would wait to buy a Wrangler until the 2012 model. It will get the new Pentastar v6 with around 280hp and a 6 speed automatic.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
If you are moving to Denver, I would err more in the direction of the Subaru for real snow capabilities as opposed to the CR-V and Outlander. All are fine crossovers, but the Subaru's AWD is a different type of system, and does well in the Northeast's winters, so it should be fine in Denver, too. The AWD system in the Subaru is a permanent, balanced system, very similar to Audi's Quattro. The traction and handling in inclement weather is excellent, which is not a factor in California, but definitely would be one in Denver. The Subaru does tend to consume more fuel than other vehicles its size because of the AWD system and the weight of the car.

The CR-V is generally a front-wheel drive car, until there is wheel slip, then the rear wheels become engaged, but it's not the same as a true AWD or 4x4. Mitsubishi's AWD functions differently, where the sensors control engine speed and braking to preserve traction and handling, though IIRC there is a lock button for 4WD for low traction conditions. Both are good bets, and the Honda has great resale value, but they're not true 4x4s.

If you're not getting a discount on a 2010 and the dealer has a 2011 in stock with the color/options that you want, I'd buy the newer edition.

The XTerra is fine, but very basic. Nissan won't upgrade the interior to a more plush standard as as that would compete with the Pathfinder.

I noticed that you said that the CR-V was too parental for your tastes, and if you don't want/need the room in a crossover, then I might suggest taking a look at the other Subarus as every Subaru has AWD standard, from the hatchbacks to the sedans, wagons, and crossovers. Again, this is since you're contemplating a move to Denver where the AWD will be handy in the winter. If you like hatchbacks, you can get an Imprezza hatch that can be anything from basic to a bit sporty in the Outback model. A friend of mine is actually in the process of buying a Forester, waiting for one that's on order at the dealership, and they have two kids and a dog and the Subaru is replacing a CR-V because of the superior winter traction -- so it's the same demographic in both cars.

If you can find a Certified Pre-Owned 2010 with low mileage, that might also be an option as you would save the depreciation of the first year. With the Honda and Subaru, the vehicles are very reliable, overall, so it would not be too much of a risk in doing so, and you would get the warranty extensions that come with certification.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 PM

BMW... Thank you so much for such a detailed, informative reply. This really helps. Now that I'm in the market for an SUV, I'm staring at them left & right as I walk around each day. I saw one which looked quite nice, then noticed it was a Mercedes... oh, well, probably not something I'd want to invest all my savings in, but it was nice. Then I saw one I always loved, the Isuzu Trooper. After I researched for a few minutes, I remembered the law suit due to rollovers. I was surprised to see they stopped making them in 2005... the one I saw today looked brand spanking new. Kudos to the owner for taking such good care of his.

I've always shied away from the cert pre-owned vehicles, as the 3 people I knew with them had continual repairs & all swore they'd never to that route again. One had a 4-yr old Infiniti. Every other month it needed hundreds in repairs. Don't recall the others, US cars they were, however. I don't feel I have the knowedge base to determine if a used car is a good deal & believe it or not, I've been researching cars this entire year... I need to buy soon as I'll be working by Jan & it will certainly help with interviewing, then commuting as I'll be moving within the city again... that cargo space will be most appreciated come March.

Since I do want the cargo space & will utilize it, I would like to stay SUV-ish. I also like the above road drive. I drove a CR-V this summer a bit & really liked the visability. I'm used to 2-seaters or sub-compact which virtually scrape the ground, so it was quite a nice switch to see above everyone & not feel boxed in by all the cars around me. I've read that one is not necessarily safer, but I did feel safer.

I think you've given me good advice on staying with Honda, Suburu... I do quite like the Pathfinder, but it is a bit more than I'd like to spend just now. After viewing Jeep yesterday, I was thinking it might be easier to just go with the $15K Patriot, although I have seen those cars upfront & the cargo space looks fairly small... still beats my old Geo 2-seater.

I do appreciate your input & your time to explain the differences in drive trains. Thank you again. I hope to buy this month, but definitely before end of year.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM

Stay away from the the Patriot, heard gas milage is horrible for such a small suv. By the way, I bought a cert. pre-owned and only had one problem and it was fixed no other problems since, that was 4 years ago and I still have the truck. The CRV would be a good choice, my wife has an 04 and loves it and has never had a problem. Subies are also good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive