Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
After investigating this car and scams all day...I did see something like this somewhere else. Only difference is that she is in NC (supposedly) and we never got to talk about payment. She never brought up paypal or ebay or any of those..but im still skeptical. Is there anything I can do about this? I would hate for another sucker to fall for this scam!
Nothing you can do, another will appear in it's place, this is just one of many types of scams out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Classic scam. What scammers like that will do, is find a VIN for a legitimate vehicle somewhere on the internet. A lot of times you can look up the VIN and find the real car for sale at a legitimate dealer halfway across the country. Then the scammer attempts to "sell" the vehicle, but usually they are just looking for a quick $500 down payment or something of that nature. Either that or they undervalue the vehicle for pennies on the dollar (like the Tahoe you are looking at, which should sell for much more). That way you're tempted to pay the whole price right away to secure the deal that you think you are getting.

Some scammers list the same vehicle in 10, 20, even 50 markets. Imagine how many times they can get a down payment it before they have to get a new VIN. Sometimes the color doesn't even match the description, or the photo shows palm trees while the ad is placed as a "local car" in Minnesota. A lot of them don't try hard, but if they weren't having success, they wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Scams aren't hard to spot. Vehicles that are advertised ridiculously below market value are almost always scam vehicles. Any inconsistencies with the ad, treat it as a scam. If the seller isn't a dealer, and does not match the name on the title, it's almost always a car jock, so skip it. Do you really think so many people are selling cars for their dear sweet mothers who only drove it three times a week? If a google search of the VIN turns up another listing with different details (any details), then it's a scam.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Having been in the car trade for many yrs there are all kinds of smaltzy deals out there.

I would ask to see the sellers ID to being the same as on the registration (last name).

Last name different...then PASS. Someones trying to make a quick buck on a turnover.

When a price on a vehicle is SO MUCH LOWER then a comparable vehicle on the open mkt...has to be a good reason to unload.
^^^ +1 for this. Simple inconsistencies with a used car deal usually mean there is a problem.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
After investigating this car and scams all day...I did see something like this somewhere else. Only difference is that she is in NC (supposedly) and we never got to talk about payment. She never brought up paypal or ebay or any of those..but im still skeptical. Is there anything I can do about this? I would hate for another sucker to fall for this scam!
Please , if you can post your email here of what she said . If Mods won't allow that , then DM me the email.

This is a HUGE scam ! Just Google car shipping scams, car scams, scammer selling cars ( non-existant cars ) you could read all day. I can link a few here...

Do not REPLY to her/his email.

But if you post here just remove whatever personal info. I just want the body of the letter.

Listen : In Person ONLY . Cash Only . IN Person Transaction ONLY. Do not let someone from another state or country try to buy your car. You will lose your money.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Exclamation Vin numbers

I saw on the R-O-R that I belong to, lady posted a VIN and said she was scammed.

I ran the VIN on search and the same car came in 14 cities on Craigslist.

Another poster has it right : They copy ads , run them , you run the VIN , comes back as a real car ( Sure it does , they stole someone's ad ! )

OP : Lady wants to buy your car , she has never seen it and wants to BUY it !

What is wrong with that story !?!?!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
I did a little more digging around...I emailed the lady and asked her why this car was sold at an auction 4 days ago, when supposedly you just got it from a divorce settlement? She went on to explain some stuff that made no sense whatsoever. However, I called the auction where this truck was supposedly sold and they did confirm that someone bought this truck on Friday, Dec. 3rd and they bought it for 'way more' than $2000. They also confirmed to me that the name of the person who bought the truck did not match the name I have for the seller. Another thing that is really fishy is that I googled the VIN number again today..and a 'new website' came up. I googled the exact same thing yesterday, how come this 'new website' did not come up on my search yesterday, but it did today? Hmm.! I think that if she would've listed the car for $8 - $9K..maybe I would've fallen for it...but not for $2K...even though that would've been a heck of a deal!

I have been doing a lot of research on scams and this one has red flags all over it!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 AM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
There was already enough data that supported the scam conclusion. Please let it slide, there is nothing else can be done. It's a typical scheme for a scam.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM

278 posts, read 992,862 times
Anytime you are considering a car purchase, you can call your local police department and ask them to check the VIN for stolen. I have seen alot of people do this with gun purchases.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
Anytime you are considering a car purchase, you can call your local police department and ask them to check the VIN for stolen. I have seen alot of people do this with gun purchases.
That won't work if it is not the right VIN number.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That won't work if it is not the right VIN number.
They just steal the VIN number off an ad for a car listed for sale /auction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive