Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times

Advertisements

X3thats why i kept the wrangler. bigger than the CJ better frame the 258might not compare to the 4l but any inline 6 is a keeper my ford 4X4 work truck could never go where the yj goes no way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 AM

149 posts, read 357,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
You also can't buy a bare-bones F150 anymore. It's all yuppified. The days of custom-ordering your next vehicle is gone. You must get this if you want that, or the whole package.

You only can have either grey or tan interior nowadays.
You can still custom order a vehicle. I bet the dealer would love that because they'd expect you to pay MSRP. So a stripped-down vehicle that should cost $15K might wind up costing you $22k because you custom ordered it. Further, most people these days want instant gratification versus deferring it to when there might be an optimal time to do so. But that is another subject.

A previous OP advised you can't can vinyl or rubber. I did look at some Chevy Silverados last year with rubber and vinyl 4x4's. They had power windows and door locks with keyless entry. And the sticker was $35K.

My favorite area of the truck was the 1973 to 1980 Chevy and GMC's with round headlights built for ranchers and farmers and not housewives to go to the mall in.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i.e., people in the 40 or so states without deserts, who don't have $45,000 to p*ss away on a "desert racer." seems like if you were committed to spend serious money, a $30,000 F250 4x4 crew cab with a lift and some boggers and a winch would do better, look better, and be cheaper for those americans who don't need to drive 60mph through the desert, driving through obstacle courses, flying off ramps and sh*t.

i just don't understand the appeal, that's all. no matter how much $$ i was going to spend i would always buy something different. Merc made a good point about the warranty, though.
Your last bit is key... YOU don't understand the appeal. You also don't understand thte people simply like different things. The truck YOU described, I don't like. But I LOVE the Raptor. Here's the major differnce, I won't insult YOUR choice or YOU over making that choice. But you apparently think that if you don't understand the appeal, then it's worth insulting and hating on not only the thing you don't understand, but the people that DO understand it.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
For the record, Chevy and Ford still have bare-bones "vynil and rubber" 4x4 pickups available; talk to your local fleet guy and see if he can work something out...

They probably do still have power windows, though.

There's also always something like this:
**2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT Extended 4-DR 4x4 6.0L Warranty** (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2118231653.html - broken link)

If you're a purist it may look like the devil but I doubt you'd come to hate it if you owned it

Old 12-18-2010, 09:56 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
It's a shame that we can't get trucks like the Iveco Massif in the US:

Or the Iveco Santana:

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/pics/santanamilitaryps10a.jpg (broken link)
http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AETA48730/AETV25352950_1b.jpg (broken link)

Both of which are, of course, derived from the Land Rover.

They also still make the Suzuki Samurai overseas (as the Suzuki Caribian):

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQry0G3Oc7wku-VWc9ppwesFsuKM5kbIXYYqdF_36ONnrntM_gUhwp (broken link)

Old 12-18-2010, 10:29 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Here ya go, just a mite pricey. New Jeep CJ3B for sale.

Icon CJ3B - FoxNews.com
For $79,000?! Are they stoned? That 'mite pricey' number alone puts that yuppy play-toy as far away from old-school off-roading as a Lexus.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
100% NOT TRUE. Ordering a car means you do not have to pay more.. Its the exact same thing as buying one off the lot expect you may be able to barter with one that has been sitting for a while.. Done it many times and got nice discounts.. My company paid $25k for a 2500 hd with a snow plow.. 2 year ago.. My work truck. Power windows/locks/ac 4wd.. Base trucks are NOT $35k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
You can still custom order a vehicle. I bet the dealer would love that because they'd expect you to pay MSRP. So a stripped-down vehicle that should cost $15K might wind up costing you $22k because you custom ordered it. Further, most people these days want instant gratification versus deferring it to when there might be an optimal time to do so. But that is another subject.

A previous OP advised you can't can vinyl or rubber. I did look at some Chevy Silverados last year with rubber and vinyl 4x4's. They had power windows and door locks with keyless entry. And the sticker was $35K.

My favorite area of the truck was the 1973 to 1980 Chevy and GMC's with round headlights built for ranchers and farmers and not housewives to go to the mall in.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
See my last post. I linked Fords F150 base for 22k. No power windows. Don't have to be fleet. They are on the lots. You can go to a dealer and tell them what you want and they will search every other dealer and find exactly what you want and have it delivered . Done that 4 times..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
For the record, Chevy and Ford still have bare-bones "vynil and rubber" 4x4 pickups available; talk to your local fleet guy and see if he can work something out...

They probably do still have power windows, though.

There's also always something like this:
**2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT Extended 4-DR 4x4 6.0L Warranty** (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2118231653.html - broken link)

If you're a purist it may look like the devil but I doubt you'd come to hate it if you owned it

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
For $79,000?! Are they stoned? That 'mite pricey' number alone puts that yuppy play-toy as far away from old-school off-roading as a Lexus.

The XJ photo I posted above is a far more effective off road rig than the Icon CJ and cost about $12,000. It has 37" tires with internal beadlocks, the same axles and lockers and transfer case and has an interior tube roll cage. Why someone would pay $79k for that rig I cannot imagine.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:46 PM

68 posts, read 317,701 times
It's not a hard question to answer.

A vehicle costs a lot of money to design and manufacture; thus, an automaker has to create a car (/truck/suv) that will sell enough to make their design money back, and hopefully turn a profit.

An "old school 4wd" vehicle would not appeal to the vast majority of car buyers today. Most people don't even need part time 4wd, much less a full time 4wd. And even those who do go off roading use current style vehicles, with modifications.

I mean, there are special forces units in middle of nowhere Afghanistan who use off the dealer's lot Toyota Tacomas and rave about their performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive