Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
driven and owned am as far back as 1965.. Have an 08 2500 hd as a company truck..No comparison.
Same here and my parents run a spraying company for regional farmers fields and they have used GM, Ford and Dodge pickups of all years which over loads and tests these pickups to their limits. We have found that no 4x4 pickups chassis can hold a candle to the late 1970s Ford pickups. They out class anything made today as far as strength and longevity goes. If someone wants a car like pickup then these new ones are great I guess, but for brute strength the late 1970s Fords are the best by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:02 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Well since you have experience with this I can't argue But in all seriousness I am talking power, comfort, towing capacity. Yea an old Ford that was as simple as a dime store toy will be tough as nails but its lacks the power, comfort, gas mileage and towing ability the new ones have. Can't beat a hammer to drive nails for relibility but a pneumantic nail driver will make the job more pleasant but will cost more and won't last as long as a hammer.. Hows that for an analogy??

Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
OP, here is what you are missing. Unforunately, you could never have gotten this rig in the US because it is not DOT compliant being a stripped down Russian 4X4.

Big jump with Lada Niva - Car Videos on StreetFire

And, here is some info on it:

http://www.auto-car-shop.com/16509/subtle-changes-to-the-lada-niva-with-video/ (broken link)

Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 AM

149 posts, read 357,442 times
Quote:
sorry you were roped in by simple sales tactics.. They don't want your $$ moths from now, they want it now so handed you a line.. and you fell for it. Like I said.. I speak from experience. Ordered many cars with deep discounts many times.
You can't get a quad cab in a base model and they are 4wd.. The 2011 Silverado 2wd base 8' bed starts at a little over $20k without discounts.. I did a search and the lowest price base in my zip code is $19845 and there are 20 in my zip code at dealers at that price.
I'm not talking about buying one off a lot. I'm talking about a custom order from the factory. You're talking about buying from dealer stock.

And, yes, you can get a Silverado W/T base Crew-Cab 4WD 4.8L with a rubber interior and the maroni is $34K minus the factory incentive of $2500. I just configured one on Chevrolet's website. I don't know what a dealer would offer if it's sitting on a lot but what if I wanted a limited-slip differiential that had a black exterior and the dealer didn't have a unit in stock? Then I custom order. The dealer said I would get the factory discounts and I needed a deposit. He also said the lead time was a few weeks.

Here is the breakdown;

2011 Chevrolet W/T CrewCab 4X4 SWB MSRP 34,500
minus factory incentive 2,500
minus dealer discount 1,500
Purchase price 30,500

The story is a little different now but I was told last year that you had to pay maroni and there was all this lead time. I could wait a few weeks on a custom order myself to get exactly what I wanted.

The 4wd regular cab starts at $24K, again, as per Chevrolet's configurator. I would (now) assume the factory incentive and any dealer discounts would apply.

Cheers!

Last edited by spiritof68; 12-21-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Nope. Talking about a factory ordered car. Factory ordered many cars over the years and got deep discounts on every one.. Honest..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof68 View Post
I'm not talking about buying one off a lot. I'm talking about a custom order from the factory. You're talking about buying from dealer stock.

And, yes, you can get a Silverado W/T base Crew-Cab 4WD 4.8L with a rubber interior and the maroni is $34K minus the factory incentive of $2500. I just configured one on Chevrolet's website. I don't know what a dealer would offer if it's sitting on a lot but what if I wanted a limited-slip differiential that had a black exterior and the dealer didn't have a unit in stock? Then I custom order. The dealer said I would get the factory discounts and I needed a deposit. He also said the lead time was a few weeks.

Here is the breakdown;

2011 Chevrolet W/T CrewCab 4X4 SWB MSRP 34,500
minus factory incentive 2,500
minus dealer discount 1,500
Purchase price 30,500

The story is a little different now but I was told last year that you had to pay maroni and there was all this lead time. I could wait a few weeks on a custom order myself to get exactly what I wanted.

The 4wd regular cab starts at $24K, again, as per Chevrolet's configurator. I would (now) assume the factory incentive and any dealer discounts would apply.

Cheers!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 PM

149 posts, read 357,442 times
Quote:
Nope. Talking about a factory ordered car. Factory ordered many cars over the years and got deep discounts on every one.. Honest..
Fair enough.

But that's the price they guy told me at Shamrock. Well now Gene Messer since he owns all the dealerships in West Texas. Maybe that has something to do with pricing. Don't know.

However, I myself would pay a little more to get exactly what I wanted. Not thousands of course but I'd pay more.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM

In this economy any dealer would be happy to order a car for you with a discount.. without even playing hardball with em.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:48 PM

268 posts, read 817,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
This is a rant.

I am disappointed that I cannot buy a "real" 4wd utility vehicle anymore. The last hold out was the Jeep Wrangler, but even that ride has gone soft in it's latest incarnation, complete with power windows, locks, and a cushy interior, not to mention a body tub so thin I could dent it with my pinkie finger.

Why doesn't anyone sell a new hardcore, simple, no nonsense and very seriously overbuilt 4wd vehicle in America anymore, a la Landcruiser 70 or Land Rover Defender!? I need giant axles, metal floorpans and bulletproof transfer cases, not cupholders and swoopy, squishy dashes. I want a vehicle I could tear apart and put back together with a crescent wrench and a hammer, not bluetooth, GPS, XM, heated this or that and other "luxury" accessories!

It's not like we don't have the terrain where one would be useful.... I also can't be the only one that wants something like that. Or am I?
I'm the same. But I have a tank of a 4x4. It's a stripped 84 Toyota short bed pick-up. The motor is seriously underpowered, about 98 h.p. It has a heater and radio, that's it. But that thing will go just about any where and I don't care if it gets scratched or dented. I see these Bro trucks that cost 50K that NEVER get off the pavement. My Toyota might not get there fast but it will be running long after those big poser trucks are scrap. And the 22r motor is easy to to maintain. All the running gear on the 84 is over built for that motor. The mileage isn't the best, only 20 around town and barely 25 on the freeway. It totally dives when locked in 4x4, down to about 14 mpg.
I wonder at the wisdom of the big auto makers using focus groups for their marketing. It seems to me you can't hardly find a stripped strait axle 4x4 truck, Jeep CJ5, early Landcruiser, ect. They are VERY popular and they get the premium price. Yet I see the ads that have a gazillion freeway 4x4's(that NEVER have had the transfer case locked in). Nobody wants them and they lose value.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:31 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
I miss most everything about the old Willy's 4x4 I had...except the ride, the handling, the steering, the cold, the heat.

But, as far as being able to go any where and easy to work on and fix, it couldn't be beat. Tough as rocks, and about as technologically advanced.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I miss most everything about the old Willy's 4x4 I had...except the ride, the handling, the steering, the cold, the heat.

But, as far as being able to go any where and easy to work on and fix, it couldn't be beat. Tough as rocks, and about as technologically advanced.
haha agreed those old jeeps and the orginal ford bronco and IH scout's were all awsome little 4x4s that could get you into some really interesting places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive