U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM

5,994 posts, read 17,822,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I think so. See this Mazda Rx-8 Specs.
Engine Type
232-hp, RENESIS 2-rotor, rotary engine with 6-speed manual transmission (212-hp, 6-speed Sport automatic transmission) and 3-stage variable induction system (VIS)
My work boss has one of these and you can switch between the transmission of your choice.
That's actually not true at all, you cannot switch between the transmission of your choice as each car is equipped with only one transmission. You either get the 6 speed manual or the 6 speed sport automatic (with manual shift mode which basically forces the automatic transmission to shift up or down).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,487,989 times
I never had or drove one (too young at the time) but I seem to remember that before the torque flight trans came out Chrysler had a system that had a clutch pedal. You stepped on it to get into forward but there after it shifted up thru the gears by itself. Clutch was required at stops, getting into reverse etc.

Anyone know what I think I'm talking about ??

Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 PM

5,994 posts, read 17,822,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I never had or drove one (too young at the time) but I seem to remember that before the torque flight trans came out Chrysler had a system that had a clutch pedal. You stepped on it to get into forward but there after it shifted up thru the gears by itself. Clutch was required at stops, getting into reverse etc.

I've never heard of it but it definitely seems feasible and not too difficult to implement.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 PM

2,403 posts, read 6,301,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I've never heard of it but it definitely seems feasible and not too difficult to implement.
And the correct answer is 2007 Toyota tundra pick up , Comes with an automatic 6 speed that you can switch to a 6 speed manual electric shift> cool and fast in that mode. Each each speed will hold until you up or down shift to a different gear.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 PM

4,237 posts, read 23,655,102 times
In 1968 to 1971 GM had a semi automatic transmission called a "torque drive" which was basically a manually shifted powerglide transmission.

This transmission only came on inline 4 and inline 6 cylinder engines. The only cars I know of that ever received them were the Nova and the Vega.

Of course you could always take an automatic and look into having a manual valve body installed. Then you'd have to shift it all the time (like a manual) but it would still be a slush box.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 AM

4,500 posts, read 11,510,738 times
Quote:

Sounds slightly like a motorcycle tranny.

As far as the OP's question goes: If you mean a manually shiftable automatic (which has been around for ages now), then yes, but it won't have a clutch thus it doesn't work exactly like a normal manual (DCT's gets closest)

But a fully auto and a fully automatic? No, that would require two transmissions and a system where you could choose which transmission drove the wheels at any given time. Not only technically nigh on impossible, also completely and utterly useless.

Of course you also have things such as Dog Boxes, where you only have to clutch into 1st and Reverse (sometimes during downshifts) or sequential trannies, primarily used in race cars, both of them.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,237,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I remember you had to keep your hand off the stick in the VW bug when not shifting, the slightest touch would start to engage it. Too much light touches wore the clutch out.

My dad said the old Doug Nash transmissions were semi auto, I do not know how true that is.
The old Doug Nash transmissions that he might be talking about are the ones used in drag racing that did not require using the clutch to shift gears. Richmond Gear now makes the Doug Nash transmission but not sure if they make a clutch-less shifting trans like they used to.
Many companies now make clutch-less transmissions for road racing and drag racing, Tex Racing, Jerico, Liberty, G Force,Wiseman.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,237,166 times
Quote:

Your talking about Fluid Drive that Chrysler used in the late 40's early 50's

Old 12-28-2010, 12:48 PM

22,491 posts, read 23,617,267 times
^^ I think they also had a transmission called a Gyromatic if memory serves me correctly. My step sister had one. Was a gutless wonder.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM

16,168 posts, read 52,876,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
And the correct answer is 2007 Toyota tundra pick up , Comes with an automatic 6 speed that you can switch to a 6 speed manual electric shift> cool and fast in that mode. Each each speed will hold until you up or down shift to a different gear.
This is what I meant by "user interface". This is an automatic, has 2 not 3 pedals on the floor - you can let it do it's own thing or you can use the "manual interface" - but at the end of the day, it's an automatic trans.

The 2 main enabling technologies of most automatic transmissions - planetary gear sets that shift with clutches (including one-way clutches or sprags) rather than sliding gears or locking dogs, and torque converters - are not normally found one without the other in factory built cars but are actually independent devices. I have heard of people who built cars that had both a torque converter and a manual clutch. Never saw one but read about them as a kid.

A Lenco is an example of a manual transmission that shifts via internal clutches, but has a manual clutch. You drop the clutch and pull the levers in sequence as you redline each gear, all the gears are engaged all the time but only the highest gear you have engaged is actually driving through it's clutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive