U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 29,254,382 times
Reputation: 14677

Advertisements

my '03 lincoln LS had an automatic transmission with some kind of "manual shifter" option. it had a name, but it eludes me.

i rarely used it, because i never felt right without a clutch.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2010, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 82,451,401 times
Reputation: 36490
My dad had a 52 Dodge with fluid drive, and automatic. He thought it was the cat's pajamas, and he ever tired of showing it off to people. He'd start the car in neutral, then put the column change into drive. There was only drive and reverse. In drive, he'd step on the gas, and the car would accelerate up to about 10 mph, then take his foot off the gas, and wait about the count of 3, and hear a clunk back there, and it would shift up to second. Then at about 30, foot off the gas again, another delayed clunk, and its in drive, and you could go from 30 to 60 before you got to the next town, if it was downhill.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM
 
3,129 posts, read 6,065,298 times
Reputation: 1590
If you are married you have both. You shift manually but the wife automatically tells you what gear and how to drive
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM
 
33,411 posts, read 32,250,434 times
Reputation: 19962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I never had or drove one (too young at the time) but I seem to remember that before the torque flight trans came out Chrysler had a system that had a clutch pedal. You stepped on it to get into forward but there after it shifted up thru the gears by itself. Clutch was required at stops, getting into reverse etc.

Anyone know what I think I'm talking about ??



Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Your talking about Fluid Drive that Chrysler used in the late 40's early 50's
thank you PDD, i couldnt remember the name of the system chrysler used.

if you are willing to modify the transmission, you can build a clutch-flite, or a clutch-turbo, or even a clutch-C6 if you want. you use the clutch to launch the car, and you can let the valve body shift for you(not recommended), or go with a full manual valve body and shift for yourself. once you launch the car you dont need the clutch again until such time as you decide to stop.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
16,141 posts, read 52,834,223 times
Reputation: 16290
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thank you PDD, i couldnt remember the name of the system chrysler used.

if you are willing to modify the transmission, you can build a clutch-flite, or a clutch-turbo, or even a clutch-C6 if you want. you use the clutch to launch the car, and you can let the valve body shift for you(not recommended), or go with a full manual valve body and shift for yourself. once you launch the car you dont need the clutch again until such time as you decide to stop.
This is what I remember reading about. I guess you basically just remove the torque converter and replace it with a regular clutch. I'm sure some fabrication is needed or maybe someone made/makes kits?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley, Az
450 posts, read 1,376,257 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Steve will remember how the VW worked, I forget how that worked too. The shifter has a pair of contacts that ran a vacuum servo, but I forget how it stayed in a 1st/reverse and still stayed running.
The VW auto stick had both a clutch and a torque convertor. Pressing down on the shifter closed an electric contact that caused a vacuum servo to disengage the clutch for shifting. Releasing the shifter allowed the clutch to re-engage. You could idle in any gear just like a regular automatic due to the T/C.

I found it to be a very interesting system except for one thing, trying to get parts! My students rebuilt the engine in one of those bugs, and we replaced the clutch while we were in there. Talk about hard parts to find!

Curly
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 3,024,695 times
Reputation: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
is it possible to have both automatic and manual transmission at the same time?
Of course. Buy an automatic car and a manual trans. car. Now you have both an automatic and a manual at the same time. Conversely, you can buy a manual and throw an automatic tranny in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
If you are married you have both. You shift manually but the wife automatically tells you what gear and how to drive
LOL!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM
 
19,023 posts, read 24,807,598 times
Reputation: 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
The VW auto stick had both a clutch and a torque convertor. Pressing down on the shifter closed an electric contact that caused a vacuum servo to disengage the clutch for shifting. Releasing the shifter allowed the clutch to re-engage. You could idle in any gear just like a regular automatic due to the T/C.

I found it to be a very interesting system except for one thing, trying to get parts! My students rebuilt the engine in one of those bugs, and we replaced the clutch while we were in there. Talk about hard parts to find!

Curly
I worked on them, but can not recall how it was set up. I recall the vac pod being right in the way of the top engine bolt, making dropping that engine a pain in the tail. I recall the shifter 'points' looking about like 2 quarters in the lower shifter.

I thought it was pretty useless. On test drives I would go to rest my hand of the shifter, and end up clutching. I am very used to std driven cars, and my old 85 daily driver Volvo 245 still is.

In fact I am so well accustomed to stick that any time i drive auto tranny vehicals, I have to think and plant my left foot on the floor boards so I don't hit the brakes like i am planing to clutch. That wakes me right up hard.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM
 
33,411 posts, read 32,250,434 times
Reputation: 19962
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is what I remember reading about. I guess you basically just remove the torque converter and replace it with a regular clutch. I'm sure some fabrication is needed or maybe someone made/makes kits?
you need to cut off the bell housing, and use a manual trans bell bolted to an adapter plate, you also need a way to drive the front pump constantly, and it has to be able to move with the clutch fork fingers. there use to be kits available years ago. here are a couple of things for you to check out. one is an AOL search, the other is from another forum;

AOL Search (http://aim.search.aol.com/aol/search?q=clutchflite&s_it=spelling&v_t=tb50-ff-aim-ab-en-us - broken link)

Clutch flight Auto trans
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,084 posts, read 1,488,589 times
Reputation: 499
You do know that you can switch to other gears in an Automatic, right?

I mean, there is more than P, N, D, R on the shifter.

Ever use those 1,2,3 gears?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top