Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM

487 posts, read 1,363,868 times

Advertisements

transmission at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
I remember that Citroen used a semi-automatic transmission but I never drove one.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
closest thing to that is a flappy paddle gear box semi-auto transsmission

Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Actually you can get the typical manumatic torque converter driven transmissions that are now present in just about every car I've seen (allows for manual up and down shifts, can be slow on low end transmissions but fairly responsive on good ones) or you can get the clutch based transmissions like BMW's DCT (I believe Nissan's GTR has this as well) that you can manual shift or just leave in drive and let the computer manage the clutch for you. The DCT method is much better than a torque converter based manumatic but also more expensive. We'll see DCT's trickle down to lower end models over time.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
kind of.
You mean like the old VW bugs that didn't have a clutch but you had to shift them.
When you touched the shifter it kind of went into Neutral.

or are you talking about like on some tractors that have a clutch but also have the shuttle shifting option where you don't need to use the clutch?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
kind of.
You mean like the old VW bugs that didn't have a clutch but you had to shift them.

or are you talking about like on some tractors that have a clutch but also have the shuttle shifting option where you don't need to use the clutch?
I think its more along the lines of shifting for yourself or letting the computer shift for you.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
kind of.

Actually, on the old "auto-stick-shift" Bug, when you grabbed the gearshift handle that disengaged a clutch very similar to the manual version, I forget how it dealt with stopping without throwing out a clutch, maybe it had a torque converter as well as a clutch, that has been done as well.

To answer the OP's question, my answer would be "sort of" - you have various automatic trans with flappy-paddle or ratchet type shifters that are just a user interface, and you have "manumatic" setups that are a manual transmission but with servo opearated clutch and shifting mechanisms.

But for me, just give me 3 pedals on the floor, and a normal stickshift, maybe with an overdrive or maybe without. Once you have learned to drive a stick the mental load you experience when first using one disappears, but the simplicity and ruggedness of the system remains.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Steve will remember how the VW worked, I forget how that worked too. The shifter has a pair of contacts that ran a vacuum servo, but I forget how it stayed in a 1st/reverse and still stayed running.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I remember you had to keep your hand off the stick in the VW bug when not shifting, the slightest touch would start to engage it. Too much light touches wore the clutch out.

My dad said the old Doug Nash transmissions were semi auto, I do not know how true that is.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
I think so. See this Mazda Rx-8 Specs.
Engine Type
232-hp, RENESIS 2-rotor, rotary engine with 6-speed manual transmission (212-hp, 6-speed Sport automatic transmission) and 3-stage variable induction system (VIS)
My work boss has one of these and you can switch between the transmission of your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive