Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Paybacks, practical jokes and unintended acts can be a b**ch.

A lot of our drivers were married. Most of the guys were true blue to the little lady at home but others had a reputation for catting around. One of the drivers was a great guy and he would never cheat on his wife in a million years and every other driver knew it. He had a long nose Pete with a huge walk-in sleeper. One week end a bunch of drivers were at a terminal and this driver took another driver and his wife to the laundromat in his truck. A few days later the true blue driver goes home. His wife is cleaning out his truck when she finds a pair of Ladies Blue Jeans. She knows they do not belong to her. She accuses her husband of running around on her on the road. Luckily she knows the wife of the other driver and when her husband explained that they probably belonged to her his story checked out. He said that if he had ever thought of cheating on his wife he changed his mind about it after that. He didn't realize how mean his little woman could be. She scared him straight.

GL2

Another guy I knew dropped a piece of frozen shrimp down someone's heater vent as an act of revenge. It took the mechanics a long time to find the source of that awful smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Another guy I knew dropped a piece of frozen shrimp down someone's heater vent as an act of revenge. It took the mechanics a long time to find the source of that awful smell.
I got a fifty pound bag of Idaho potatoes from a packing shed in Idaho. I stuck it in the side compartment with the intention of making it to the house in a day or two. I did make it to the house but I forgot all about the potatoes in the side compartment. I was headed to the laundromat when I rediscovered the sack of spuds. Is there anything worse than rotten potatoes?

An old trick I learned about got the side compartment back to smelling good. Cinnamon powder mixed in with a can of Folgers coffee and spread all around and vacuumed up does the trick.

GL2

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
...An old trick I learned about got the side compartment back to smelling good. Cinnamon powder mixed in with a can of Folgers coffee and spread all around and vacuumed up does the trick. GL2
We got a lot of midwest reefers (Subler Transfer, etc) in for loading at the Domino Sugar refinery in the Locust Point area of Baltimore. Some were quite foul smelling. The shipping dept guys kept some of their used coffee grounds on hand for occasions like that. They'd sprinkle used damp coffee grounds all over the trailer, have the driver turn on the reefer unit, close up the trailer, let it sit and run for 10-15 minutes, then the smell would mostly be gone. We'd get some seafood trucks in from NC/SC and sometimes have to de-stink them too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We got a lot of midwest reefers (Subler Transfer, etc) in for loading at the Domino Sugar refinery in the Locust Point area of Baltimore. Some were quite foul smelling. The shipping dept guys kept some of their used coffee grounds on hand for occasions like that. They'd sprinkle used damp coffee grounds all over the trailer, have the driver turn on the reefer unit, close up the trailer, let it sit and run for 10-15 minutes, then the smell would mostly be gone. We'd get some seafood trucks in from NC/SC and sometimes have to de-stink them too.

Yeah, coffee works every time! I hauled a lot of rubber and rubber chemicals when I worked for a rubber company in Dallas and when we went for a produce or flour backhaul, they didn't like that smell. Coffee got rid of it, along with a good washout.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Yeah, coffee works every time! I hauled a lot of rubber and rubber chemicals when I worked for a rubber company in Dallas and when we went for a produce or flour backhaul, they didn't like that smell. Coffee got rid of it, along with a good washout.
Ironically one of the best smelling loads I ever hauled taught me the cinnamon/coffee trick. I was pulling a reefer and I had picked up a load of chocolate from a place in Burlingame, CA going to Hershey chocolate in PA. It smelled great but I had instructions to washout the trailer and dropit off at a meat plant in PA. The dispatcher was an old hand who had pulled reefers for decades and he told me about the coffee/cinnamon trick. It works on just about everything.

GL2

Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ironically one of the best smelling loads I ever hauled taught me the cinnamon/coffee trick. I was pulling a reefer and I had picked up a load of chocolate from a place in Burlingame, CA going to Hershey chocolate in PA. It smelled great but I had instructions to washout the trailer and dropit off at a meat plant in PA. The dispatcher was an old hand who had pulled reefers for decades and he told me about the coffee/cinnamon trick. It works on just about everything.

GL2

Who doesn't like the smell of chocolate?

The best smelling load I ever pulled was a load of old whiskey barrels. They'd been used for ageing whiskey in Kentucky and they couldn't be re-used for that, so they cut them in half and sold them to Lowe's as giant flower pots.

Man, did it smell sweet! I stayed thirsty all the way to Texas!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
The best smelling load I ever pulled was a load of old whiskey barrels. They'd been used for ageing whiskey in Kentucky and they couldn't be re-used for that, so they cut them in half and sold them to Lowe's as giant flower pots. Man, did it smell sweet! I stayed thirsty all the way to Texas!
If you think that smells good, you gotta take one of their distillery tours down there in Bourbon County, KY. We did it the other year, man, those warehouses where they age stuff smell like heaven from the whisky that evaporates through the oak barrels, and they refer to that as the Angel's Share. There is now a brewery down there that takes the once-used bourbon barrels and ages beer in them. Yummmm!

The Official C-D Trucking Stories Thread-ky-097.jpg Cooking the mash.

The Official C-D Trucking Stories Thread-ky-102.jpg Distillation.

The Official C-D Trucking Stories Thread-ky-118.jpg Warehousing, for 7-15 years, looking almost straight up at the roof.

The Official C-D Trucking Stories Thread-ky-124.jpg Bottling lines.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you think that smells good, you gotta take one of their distillery tours down there in Bourbon County, KY. We did it the other year, man, those warehouses where they age stuff smell like heaven from the whisky that evaporates through the oak barrels, and they refer to that as the Angel's Share. There is now a brewery down there that takes the once-used bourbon barrels and ages beer in them. Yummmm!

Attachment 80758 Cooking the mash.

Attachment 80759 Distillation.

Attachment 80760 Warehousing, for 7-15 years, looking almost straight up at the roof.

Attachment 80761 Bottling lines.

I took such a tour a couple of years ago in Lexington, but I don't remember the brand name.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
There's a Jim Beam distillery in Cincinnati just West of I-75 at Paddock Road. They're consolidating operations and this distillery will close next year. I'll sure miss the sweet smells as I pass it...

Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Hate to see this thread go stale so here's a pic of one of the trucks I drove many years ago. (see attachment)

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 12-20-2013 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive