Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

I do have one good U.S. Customs story; Returning from Quebec, I stopped at the Champlain, NY Port of Entry. Sunday morning, traffic very light. The rather good-looking young woman at the booth was very nice and we actually chatted for a bit. As I was getting ready to leave I asked her about the $5 Customs Inspection fee. "Oh! I forgot!"said she. I'd like to think she forgot because I was SO suave and debonaire...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I do have one good U.S. Customs story; Returning from Quebec, I stopped at the Champlain, NY Port of Entry. Sunday morning, traffic very light. The rather good-looking young woman at the booth was very nice and we actually chatted for a bit. As I was getting ready to leave I asked her about the $5 Customs Inspection fee. "Oh! I forgot!"said she. I'd like to think she forgot because I was SO suave and debonaire...

Here's a good lookin' Canadian story:

After you finished with the paperwork and inspections at the old POE on Rt.99 south of Vancouver, BC (it's probably gone now), the last step was to pull up to a little booth by the gate, if someone was in it.

This day, there was and she was REALLY good looking! Uniforms and some women just go together...know what I mean?

Anyhow, she did her little thing and then asked me one final question:

"Do you have any firearms?"

"Yes," I said. "I have a shotgun." (Yeah, I know but I had no place to leave it, so I just decided to be honest.)

She looked at me and said, "Do you have any FIREARMS?"

"Yes. I have a SHOTGUN."

"D-O Y-O-U H-A-V-E A-N-Y F-I-R-E-A-R-M'S?"

"Yes. I H-A-V-E A S-H-O-T-G-U-N!"

"Ok. Have a nice trip."

I can't say if she thought I was stupid, if she didn't know what a shotgun was or if she was cutting me some slack. It really didn't matter, did it?

By the way, just up the road from that POE a little ways was a BC scale. I was called inside to show my paperwork, which was normal, but there was a container trailer parked in the lot too.

Just as I walked in, the scale master told the other driver, "I don't give a Goddam where it was loaded! It's NOT leaving this scale!"

It turned out the trailer was loaded in Hong Kong and was grossing about 150,000 lbs! But, what the heck did they know about Canadian laws in Hong Kong?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I remember another bad day at the border crossing at Coutts, Alberta. I was going to various R.Angus Cat customers in Alberta with parts. I had a stack of paperwork about and inch thick that I had collected from U.s. and Canadian customs. After a half a day I was ready to leave the Canadian customs and go to my first stop. I set the paperwork on my seat and got positioned to get up in the cab. A gust of wind grabbed my completed paperwork and it probably made it to Lethbridge before I did. I spent the rest of the day getting copies of everything. First thing I did when I got to a shopping mall was to buy a HEAVY briefcase for all my paperwork.

GL2

Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I remember another bad day at the border crossing at Coutts, Alberta. I was going to various R.Angus Cat customers in Alberta with parts. I had a stack of paperwork about and inch thick that I had collected from U.s. and Canadian customs. After a half a day I was ready to leave the Canadian customs and go to my first stop. I set the paperwork on my seat and got positioned to get up in the cab. A gust of wind grabbed my completed paperwork and it probably made it to Lethbridge before I did. I spent the rest of the day getting copies of everything. First thing I did when I got to a shopping mall was to buy a HEAVY briefcase for all my paperwork.

GL2

When I went into Canada, it was very often with multiple drops, which means a stack of papers for every drop, as you well know. What a PIA that was in the days before bar-code scanning!

Once, at Thousand Islands, a cute little inspector insisted on seeing every box on every bill of lading and we spent about an hour crawling around on top of the load looking at it. I guess I shouldn't complain, though. It was floor-loaded and she COULD have made me unload it all.

Back then, a using a broker to handle the paperwork was essential to avoid problems. With the new, faster crossing system, is that still the case?

Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 AM

Not sure about using brokers nowadays. The last few loads I ran into Canada were already taken care of by the shipper & company. I just faxed a copy to the broker and ued a bar code. I went straight to the customer when i left the POE vs having to go to the customs area and see the broker.

I acquired quite an addiction for Tim Horton's coffee running into Canada. I'm sure glad they've expanded down to the U.S. (at least MI and OH so far)

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Not sure about using brokers nowadays. The last few loads I ran into Canada were already taken care of by the shipper & company. I just faxed a copy to the broker and ued a bar code. I went straight to the customer when i left the POE vs having to go to the customs area and see the broker.

I acquired quite an addiction for Tim Horton's coffee running into Canada. I'm sure glad they've expanded down to the U.S. (at least MI and OH so far)

I'm guessing there's still a need for their services because the Texas Legislature passed a bill this session pertaining to property taxes on customs brokers in Texas, so they they must still be there.

I never could learn to like Tim Horton donuts. The coffee was fine, but the donuts were unspectacular to me.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Since we've talked about US and Canadian customs and border patrols, I might as well be fair and throw in a couple of stories about their Mexican counterparts.

The only place I ever went into Mexico loaded was at Tijuana. We had a customer there who hot capped truck tires and we'd sometimes take a full or partial load of strip rubber to them. Going in was no hassle as it simply involved picking up the paperwork at the brokers office in San Ysidro and crossing the border. Mexican customs never did anything other than look at the paperwork and wave us through. Coming out was no problem either because we were always empty.

The only bad thing about the whole experience was that they were a COD customer and, at first, we might leave Mexico with $40,000 US in cash! That's a good way to get knocked in the head! Today, it would get you jailed. Later, we began picking up cashiers checks at the brokers, so that headache was eliminated.

Over at Mexicali, we'd go in empty and come out loaded and that was a whole 'nuther deal. Going in, Mexican customs wouldn't even bother looking in the trailer. It was just "Adios!" We only took the trailers as far as their custom drop-lot and a Mexican driver would take on down into Baja to get it loaded. He was usually drunk by noon and if you brought him a quart of US beer with the trailer, you'd usually get it back quickly.

Coming out, the broker sent a guy named Lokio down to shepard the trailers through. There might be one or two or three and we couldn't come out until all of them were there. Lokio would grease the process by carrying the paperwork into the office and doing something (probably el mordisco!) Then, we'd just be waved on across the little bridge to US Customs!

Once, though, I was coming out alone and something was going on because the little office was full of brass from Mexico DF (Mexico City). Even Lokio couldn't prevent my being stopped at the last instant by a little fat guy with half his uniform shirtail hanging out and his hat on crooked. He ran out and hollered, "ALTO!"

So, I alto-ed and a gaggle of high ranking officers strolled out and gathered up at the back of my trailer. Lokio stood there looking confused while the little fat guy stood right at my drivers side headlight watching what they were doing back there. I didn't have a clue what was going on and it crossed my mind that someone may have loaded something illegal into my trailer and I could easily end up in a Mexican jail!

Let me tell you....that's a sobering thought! I was in THEIR country, not mine, and their criminal justice system isn't based on English Common Law like ours and the accused is considered guilty until proven innocent. They have no habeus corpus nor any obligation to charge you with a damn thing. They can literally hold you for life without your ever knowing why. The US was just right there, about a hundred yards away across a little bridge (or, so I thought at the time), but it might as well have been on the moon right then.

The Jefe's were all around the back of my trailer and some underling was directed to go underneath it, where he squatted down in front of the first axle. Fat guy waved me on, so I released the parking brake, at which time they all jumped out and hollered, "ALTO!"

I alto-ed again and they went back to whatever it was they were doing. Fat guy waved me on again and we went through the same routine except this time it was "ALTO, GODDAMIT!"

The last thing I wanted to do was tick them off!

This whole affair had been going on now for about 10 minutes and Lokio appeared to be as clueless as I was...so I started planning my escape! I was ready to abandon the truck and try to outrun them across that little bridge to the safety of the US Customs gate at the other end. There were two roads which led from that gate, one up the hill to the left and the street, and the other up to the right to the Customs inspection shed. I didn't learn until later that the border wasn't actually until the top of the hill! The point being, though I didn't know it right then, is that even had I made it to the gate, I'd still be in Mexico and they'd have gotten me right there! And, of course, after having run from the truck, it would have been far worse for me! Oh...the missed opportunities to REALLY screw up your life!

Finally, they let me go and I got out of Mexico intact.

But, a few weeks later I was down there again and discovered just how bad my escape plan REALLY was! My chances of having made it across that bridge afoot were far, far worse than I'd imagined!

This week, some drug cartel had publically threatened to snatch a US officer right off the border and kill him, so both sides of the border were crawling with cops of all kinds. I'd never seen that many guns since the Army!

Anyhow, while I was sitting there waiting for Lokio to do his thing, a uniformed officer stepped out of the Mexican customs office carrying the biggest rifle I ever saw. It was HUGE! It looked sort of like a BAR on steroids and was so heavy he carried it on a strap around his neck. It had a wooden stock and a barrel as big around as my thumb. The magazine was unusally long in both directions and I don't doubt it was at least a .50 calibre! I don't have any idea what it was and I've never seen one since.

What struck me, though, was the thought that had I panicked and ran away from the truck that other day, I'd have never made it across that little bridge, not with that thing available for use! They'd have cut me in half long before I reached the US side!

Ah, the joys of truckin'!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,724 times
Love the stories and keep them coming!!! Might have to get into trucking myself when I turn 21 next year if my application for apprenticeship for IBEW does not go through...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Love the stories and keep them coming!!! Might have to get into trucking myself when I turn 21 next year if my application for apprenticeship for IBEW does not go through...
RGomez, pleaes DM me your address so I can swing by and beat you about the head & shoulders with my log book until you come to your senses!!!

Stillkit, just living in Del Rio for two years convinced me that I'd NEVER want to drive South of the border in a commercial vehicle...

Tim Horton's donuts were OK. But I tried to saty away from 'em most of the time since you're only allowed so much weight on your steer axle...

Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 AM

713 posts, read 3,437,724 times
lols Live in the San Antonio area so you might catch me in a year in a Swift truck if my other job plans don't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive