Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times

Advertisements

There's no such thing as a shortage of workers in the (fill in the blank) industry.

If there's a 'shortage', then that just shows that people are finding better pay and/or better working conditions elsewhere. If companies want to keep good employees, they're going to have to pay them well and treat them fairly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 02:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
It also doesn’t help that’s long haul truckers today make less than they did in the 1980’s.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
It also doesn’t help that’s long haul truckers today make less than they did in the 1980’s.
Yeah, you hear a lot of big numbers thrown around. Truckers make $80,000 a year! Etc.

And it's true for some. A lot of them are working 70+ hours a week and on the road pretty much all the time to make that happen. And a huge percentage of truck drivers don't make anywhere near that dollar amount. The devil is always in the details.

Don't get me wrong- truck driving *can* be a good line of work. But for every good company out there, there are a dozen tweaker-employing ****-holes. It ain't the dream job they market it to be when claiming a 'truck driver shortage'.

There's a 'shortage' because most people have better options.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:30 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, you hear a lot of big numbers thrown around. Truckers make $80,000 a year! Etc.

And it's true for some. A lot of them are working 70+ hours a week and on the road pretty much all the time to make that happen. And a huge percentage of truck drivers don't make anywhere near that dollar amount. The devil is always in the details.

Don't get me wrong- truck driving *can* be a good line of work. But for every good company out there, there are a dozen tweaker-employing ****-holes. It ain't the dream job they market it to be when claiming a 'truck driver shortage'.

My oldest daughter drives for a major retailer here in metro Detroit called Meijer she drives their semi trucks from the warehouse to different stores, she will drive over 1,500 miles in 5 days she works 11 to 12 hours a night she made close to $70,000 last year but she is a union driver with is hard to be now a days. She doesn’t get paid by the hour it’s mileage based have no idea what though but she likes it and is making good money and there is only one other female driver there but my daughter has been driving for over 15 years at other trucking companies, she’s has been all over the country witch was a great experience for her.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

Average salary for an OTR trucker is 40-50k. Not worth it in my opinon to be away from home and your family for 3+weeks at a time with only 1 day home for every week you’re out.

I relocated from the northeast to FL a year and a half ago and briefly considered trucking as a career as there are tons of companies looking to hire. Thankfully I did a ton of research before taking the plunge and decided to go another route. I now work at a luxury car dealer as an internet sales consultant. Yes the hours can be just as long but my first year I cleared $55k and am home every night with 2 days off per week.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
My oldest daughter drives for a major retailer here in metro Detroit called Meijer she drives their semi trucks from the warehouse to different stores, she will drive over 1,500 miles in 5 days she works 11 to 12 hours a night she made close to $70,000 last year but she is a union driver with is hard to be now a days. She doesn’t get paid by the hour it’s mileage based have no idea what though but she likes it and is making good money and there is only one other female driver there but my daughter has been driving for over 15 years at other trucking companies, she’s has been all over the country witch was a great experience for her.
That's awesome- that's how truck drivers *should* be paid. Unfortunately most aren't.

We've busted most of our unions here in the U.S. and then we wonder why wages are low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Average salary for an OTR trucker is 40-50k. Not worth it in my opinon to be away from home and your family for 3+weeks at a time with only 1 day home for every week you’re out.

I relocated from the northeast to FL a year and a half ago and briefly considered trucking as a career as there are tons of companies looking to hire. Thankfully I did a ton of research before taking the plunge and decided to go another route. I now work at a luxury car dealer as an internet sales consultant. Yes the hours can be just as long but my first year I cleared $55k and am home every night with 2 days off per week.
I did some local equipment hauling for a couple years in my mid-20's. Didn't pay ****, even with over-weight and over-width loads. I'd do it again if I had to- I'm sure it'd beat being unemployed. But there are better options out there.

Some people can make a good career of truck driving, and I'm happy for them. I wish them the best of luck. But having been in the trucking industry during my first career (diesel mechanic), I know that that's not typical. *Most* trucking companies treat drivers like ****.

And then they wonder why they can't find good drivers.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:26 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I just read that second article from the WaPo and came here asking about something, but looks like someone's already found it before me! Haha!

Anyways, one of my questions was that someone got cited for a "windshield wiper fluid" violation: that they didn't have enough windshield washer fluid in their truck! First of all...that's nuts. Talk about nanny state. However, it got me thinking: what's the windshield washer fluid capacity on a truck? Anyone know?

My truck holds a gallon.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
My truck holds a gallon.
Just like any other vehicle on the road.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:21 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Just like any other vehicle on the road.

Not all! From the BMW owners manual

All washer nozzles are supplied from one reservoir.

Fill with water and – if required – with a washer
antifreeze, according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
Mix the washer fluid before adding to maintain
the correct mixing ratio.

Capacity

Approx. 6.3 US quarts/6 liters.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Not all! From the BMW owners manual

All washer nozzles are supplied from one reservoir.

Fill with water and – if required – with a washer
antifreeze, according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
Mix the washer fluid before adding to maintain
the correct mixing ratio.

Capacity

Approx. 6.3 US quarts/6 liters.
Ok all American I’m not savvy on European vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive