Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

OK so- my 15 year old just got her temps. Right now, we have a 2004 Lexus RX (my daily driver) with about 89k on it and a 2007 Toyota Sienna with about 100k, used for hauling the kids around and for long road trips. I will continue to use the Lexus as my daily driver so that's not a question but my question is this: should I give the Sienna to her, or buy a used car for her (would like to keep it under 8k)? Are mini-vans generally safer for new, not so experienced drivers? Of course she will have many behind the wheel experiences with both me and the local driving school, but obviously a teenaged driver is different than a 40 year old driver. Or, would I be better off to buy her a used car? What brands/models would you all suggest?????

We are in WI so winter weather driving conditions should be taken into consideration!! Although, her car will mostly just be used for driving to school, sports practices/games, the mall, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
best bet is make her get a part time job and save for it herself she will learn alot from that.

also to get her into a better safer car offer to go in half so if she comes up say with 2K you will pitch in 2K that way she can get a nice used mid-late 90's honda civic.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
best bet is make her get a part time job and save for it herself she will learn alot from that.

also to get her into a better safer car offer to go in half so if she comes up say with 2K you will pitch in 2K that way she can get a nice used mid-late 90's honda civic.
She is in sports all year round (v-ball in the fall, basketball in the winter, soccer in the spring and summer) so I'm afraid that's not a choice. However, if she quits one of her sports, then I would make her get a job.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
either way you look at it the car she get will get it's share of dings and dents and 99% of new teen drivers have atleast on accident.

I would say no to the mini-van as it can carry alot of 15-16 year olds that can peer preassure your teen into stupid stuff.
a small fuel efficent compact car is a better choice.

that is why say a nice mid-late 90's honda civic is the best choice IMO

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
She is in sports all year round (v-ball in the fall, basketball in the winter, soccer in the spring and summer) so I'm afraid that's not a choice. However, if she quits one of her sports, then I would make her get a job.
Put the options on the table... sports or a job for providing herself with transportation. Its possible... I bought, fueled and insured my own vehicles in highschool playing sports for most of the year and working my butt off for a couple months in the summer. As far as vehicle choice well I think the mini-van idea is a good one, cheap, functional and the boring factor will discourage reckless driving to a degree.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

When one of her friends crushes her in that Civic with her moms hand me down Denali or Excursion, MPGs won't really be all that important.

I'd shoot for a midsize something, like a Camry, Accord, or Volvo. Or maybe a CRV or Element. And I agree that she needs to have some financial stake in it.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
The OP asked for what cars would be best, not parenting advice. Sports can lead to scholarships, which are worth significantly more than a used car.

Civic is the best choice. Despite the previous poster's opinion, they are very safe, reliable, and economical.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The OP asked for what cars would be best, not parenting advice. Sports can lead to scholarships, which are worth significantly more than a used car.

Civic is the best choice. Despite the previous poster's opinion, they are very safe, reliable, and economical.
Thanks- I would rather have my daughter be involved in school activites and sports than get a job at McDonald's just so she could pay for a '94 Civic. Just saying.

ANYWAYS, so a Civic would be the best choice I guess? How many miles would a used one have on it with our budget? Would it be in good condition? I have had great experiences with Honda, but I've only ever bought new from them.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
All Wheel Drive Subaru Forester, or Impreza

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...liability.html

Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
ANYWAYS, so a Civic would be the best choice I guess? How many miles would a used one have on it with our budget? Would it be in good condition? I have had great experiences with Honda, but I've only ever bought new from them.

It just depends. Used cars are going strong right now.

Use the advanced search on cars.com to see what is in your area and get a sense of mileage and pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive