Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You sure do whine a lot for someone who supposedly isn't offended.

Do you have anything constructive to contribute or are you just gonna whine some more?
Who's whining? I'm giving your buddy props for amusing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i noticed that all the pictures of front drivers you provided were of the four cylinder variety. V6 front drivers are harder to change plugs on because the back three cylinders are harder to get to.
I didn't have to say every FWD car was easy to work on to prove my point, I only had to disprove the fact that FWD was the reason he could't reach the distributor cap on the one example he used.

He couldn't reach the distributor cap on a FWD car, so he eschews ALL FWD cars. Had he worked on an LT1 Camaro first and not been able to reach the distributor cap or rear plugs on that, woudl he have used the same logic to stay away from all RWD cars? I highly doubt it, which is why his post needed to be refuted.

I HATE closed minded bull***** supported by retarded blanket statements, and will refute it when it's posted.

I don't even have to prefer the thing I'm definding (in this case, FWD). I'm just tired of crap opinion being used as an assertion of fact.

My '62 Falcon was also dead nuts easy to work on. But being RWD was not an advantage for it. My SVT Contour was a vastly better car, better dynamically, faster, more comfortable, and got better fuel economy despite being hevier and having over double the horsepower. Being FWD was not a problem for it.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Who's whining? I'm giving your buddy props for amusing me.
You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Well something amusing needs to come out of a thread created by a person named "DramaLlama" with only one post who has yet to respond to the thread they created.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
If you would have read what I posted, I said the dist. cap/plug wires were the PITA, not the plugs.
And it was NOT because it was FWD. You apparently aren't reading well, yourself. As I posted, the Distributors in the cars *I* posted are easily accessible.

Quote:
Yes I've heard horror stories on the 4th gen F body being difficult. One of the reasons why I don't own one.
So your posted logic is you stay away from ALL FWD cars because ONE GM FWD car was hard to reach the distributor on (even though others are proven not to be difficult to work on), but because the distributor/back cyls are difficult to get to on an F body, you will stay away from F bodys, but not all RWD cars, as you know other RWD cars aren't as difficult to work on.

Hypocritical, closed minded BS, and I'm calling you on that double standard.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I'd like to elaborate on that. Just thinking intuitively (I'm no physicist), as a car (or anything else) accelerates, the weight of the thing is shifted backwards because of Newton's laws of inertia. You see it on a car when the front lifts up and the rear squats down during a quick take off. So, with FWD you essentially have weight lifted off the front tires just when you need weight there the most for traction. With RWD the weight of inertia pushes on the rear tires so they grip and get you moving better.

When the front tires have double duty of propelling the car and steering it, they simply won't do either exteremly well. 'Tis better to divide up the work.

This is ONLY aproblem when drag racing 9and a good set of wheelie bars will transfer weight forward again, minimizing it), or going up hill on snow. And it's ONLY a problem when using enought throttle to actually shift a significant amount of weight, and you shoul not be usint full throttle trying to take off on teh street anyhow, especially in teh snow in ANY car. Oh, that's rigth, you can accellerate at full throttle in a RWD car in teh snow, too, 'casue, you knw, RWD cars NEVER break traction and fishtail under ful throttle in the snow...

Guys, ti's time to stop using theory and get out into the real world. iv'e raced FWD and RWD cars, drive both in performance situyations and inclement weather situations, and a poorly set up RWD car is as bad or worse as a poorly set up FWD car. And until you reach the upper limits of performance (faster than 9 second drag cars, and GT1/Formula car levels of road race performance), FWD is as useable and as capable as RWD.

This is a reprint of an article from 1988, dealing with a comparison between two identicall chassis road race cars on teh same team, one converterted to FWD (same engines, same basic cars). We've come a long way in FWD cars since then, but it's interesting to note the similarities and capabilities:

What

This car is a twin to my old SVT Contour:

When autocrossing, I was asked by a few drivers outthere "when did Ford start making RWD Contours?" The car was so neutral in corners that you could actually get on throttle oversteer, and carry slight drifts through the sweepers, just like a RWD car. You used identical inputs to do identical things as in my old 911 and RX7 race cars. Incredibly responsive to turn-in, more than adequately quick in stock form (it was only 200 hp), and comfy to take long distance trips in (like Seattle to Baltimore). I have a LOT of direct experience in FWD and RWD performance cars over the last 30 years. I know better than to dismiss car solely on which end is driving it.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Well something amusing needs to come out of a thread created by a person named "DramaLlama" with only one post who has yet to respond to the thread they created.
Haha now that's funny. And a great movie reference.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLLama View Post
What's the main differences and which one is generally considered better?
Actually it is best to have one of each a FWD and a RWD and to settle everything a Four wheel drive.
This way you don't have to read all the silly posts about which one is really better because in all honesty they are only opinions and we all know what they are worth.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
I live in Wisconsin. There's no way I'll buy a RWD vehicle, unless it's a summer only car. FWD is so much better for driving in snow. Of course AWD is the best.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
RWD is better for towing larger stuff. FWD is much better in the snow.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Front wheel drive is crappy in the snow and ice.
The torque steer will get you into trouble. Trying to get your self out of a skid is a nightmare especially when going down hill.
fwd is good on flat straight roads, unfortunately the roads around here are not flat or straight.

We see a lot of fwd stuck in the snow bank especially right at the apex of a curve.

RWD or 4wd for me, just add some weight over the rear wheels in the winter, at least you can get out of a skid easier and you can use the throttle to steer.

An opinion from someone who has driven both in the summer and the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive