Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I see we have a few ford fans, nothing personal.
but.
I BOUGHT a Chevy. I've been dealign with RVs for a few decades, however.

Quote:
I bet he buys new or one truck that is only a few years old.
"I don't have a "money tree" in my back yard, so I think we're going to have to look for a used rig...maybe like 5yrs or so old..."

And he wants best bang for the buck. Well, sorry, after extensive research over teh last year or so (and after working in the RV industry and seeing what the most common two vehciles are, and what peopel seem to have the best luck with), then my recommendation stands: '99-03 7.3 Powerstroke. Buy-in is good, durability AND reliability is excellent, enough comfort features to be considered a modern truck, but without the costs of a 5 year old or newer (or new) truck.

Cummins engines are great, but there's still a question of everything that surrounds it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I see we have a few ford fans, nothing personal.
but.

I bet he buys new or one truck that is only a few years old.

You see ford has a couple of big issues.
1. For even minor engine repair or maintenance the whole cab has to be removed first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsGsunQwM8

2. There "new" engine is to "new" to know how it will hold up or to find a shop in the middle of no where that can help you with it.

Lastly the cummins can be worked on at any diesel shop and it has a proven track record.

Even a Chev is a better choice than the ford is.

And I'll stand behind my statement.
Get more truck than you need, not one that may get you by.

Go test drive all three then decide.
Snow farmer
Obviously your dislike for Ford is causing you to spread negative information.
That video is from a Ford dealer and having worked at a GMC dealership I can tell you that all of the factory trained mechanics know the fastest and easiest way to perform maintenance on their particular brands. While the local non factory mechanics may not remove the body to do maintenance, the factory trained guys do it faster.

The Mechanics in our shop would drop on engine out the bottom of many of our GM vehicles to do repairs that normally would be done under the hood.

Another point our diesel mechanics absolutely hated working on the Duromax diesels which are manufactured by Isuzu.

Ford sells more Diesel pickups than GM and Dodge combined, not because the Ford is better but because more contractors prefer Ford.

No doubt Cummins is regarded as the best diesel for light and medium duty use it's just too bad they only come in Dodges.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Dropping a motor out the bottom.
so now your removing the front drive line and or the front suspension to do so.

How many diesel engines have "you" done this with?

Yes. the ford manual calls for the cab to be removed, it is how the dealer does it.
Your not dropping any ford diesel engines out the bottom.
as you will not have any room to get the lif... I mean dropping beam connected to the engine..

I have owned 3 fords so I'm not bashing just stating the facts.

Ford sells more because they have factories all over the world not because they are the best.
Budweiser sells a lot of beer too does that make it the best beer?

Slam all you wish, the cummins is the best diesel engine in any mid-size truck or any large truck for that matter.
It has a proven track record and parts are readily available and most any diesel shop will be familiar with them as opposed to the ford with it's new and unproven diesel engine.

As I said to the OP go test drive all 3 Dodge chev and the furd them make your decision. Would I recommend that he drive all three if I was brand blind? I don't think so.

The bottom line is, I don't care what you buy or drive as I'm not driving it or buying it.

Last edited by snofarmer; 01-08-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Snow farmer, this is my quote,

"No doubt Cummins is regarded as the best diesel for light and medium duty use it's just too bad they only come in Dodges."

Please explain how I am slamming Cummins.
I enjoy a debate as much as the next guy but you just can't make stuff up.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Regarding the Dodge/Cummins:
I've noticed that some (a few) of them are noticeably quieter than the rest. Why? How does one get the "quiet" versions? (not that any of them are quiet)

Bud

Old 01-08-2011, 11:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Merc63 - I understand your post. But it is funny to say the OP needs a 3/4 or 1 ton. He doesn't NEED one. He may find it the best choice, especially if his needs may grow. But if he is confident they won't (just traveling with his wife and dog), then spending extra money up front is just money spent.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
[quote=BudinAk;17316446]Regarding the Dodge/Cummins:
I've noticed that some (a few) of them are noticeably quieter than the rest. Why? How does one get the "quiet" versions? (not that any of them are quiet)

Bud[/QUOT

You have to get a newer one. They started getting quieter in 06 but they really got the sound down when they came out with the 6.7.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Merc63 - I understand your post. But it is funny to say the OP needs a 3/4 or 1 ton. He doesn't NEED one. He may find it the best choice, especially if his needs may grow. But if he is confident they won't (just traveling with his wife and dog), then spending extra money up front is just money spent.
He doesn't NEED to tow a travel trailer, either. He simply wants to. So we're telling him that he can get a truck that can be used to haul anything he wants whther it's this tailer, a larger trailer, a heavy home improvement load, or whatever as the years go by, instead of spending almost as much money on something that's just good enough for his present situation. And he can get a 2500 series truck for the same money as a slightly newer half ton. In the $10-15k range, there's a lot of choice at every weight capacity. I mean, *I* spent 3 grand on a 3500 sereis truck. Don't know how that constitutes spending extra money for the added capacity...

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
No question, 3/4 to 1 ton Diesel no matter what you pull. Why strain when you can rest easy. Listen to these guys!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Regarding the Dodge/Cummins:

Bud
PRE-CHAMBER diesels (pre-ECU injection timing) are MUCH noisier. My prechambers (VW and Cummins) are less economical (44-48mpg for VW 16-22 Cummins) My post-prechamber (Direct injection) VW's are much quicker, quieter, and more economical (49-55mpg). Cummins is similar... tho NOT so obviously more economical (more pollution controls / heavier vehicle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson735 View Post
No question, 3/4 to 1 ton Diesel no matter what you pull. Why strain when you can rest easy. Listen to these guys!

If the OP is pulling a trivial Camper trailer...
I am fine with 1st Gen Dodge Cummins
(dually) 160-hp, ~22 mpg empty, 12mpg HEAVY towing (28,800# GCVW for me) but FREE ENGINE UPGRADES(<$100) to boost to 250hp, and $500 will buy you 350 hp, $1500 will buy you 600hp, all from same engine.

I would however prefer a better tranny. Probably a 6 spd with gear vendor, tho a nice 10 spd with 'Compound' low Roadranger would be preferred.

Dodge is not great, but there are many 1st gen Dodge Cummins well over 1mil miles.

If they are a SERIOUS high mileage / high weight applications, just get yourself a semi tractor with a condo sleeper. (Volvo preferred) Make a NICE comfy (and safe) trip out of it. You can get fully outfitted for well under $20k. They get about 9mpg fully loaded (if you keep the tandem drive axles)

Quote:
Best Tow Vehicle For Trailer?
$3500 - $5k for a 1st gen Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually will do (or if you are lucky enough to find a 1998 12V for under $10k)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive