Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

I bought my car here in Miami, where this isn't much of an issue.

I may move to a snowy state and I hear 4-wheel drive is important.

How can I found out if I have it?

If I don't have it, how much would it cost for me to get it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
What kind of car do you have? You can't just upgrade a car if it doesn't have four wheel drive...so if yours doesn't, it doesn't and you will have to buy a different car with it. You would be able to tell on your gearshift, there is usually a label on the back of your car with it either as 4X4 or AWD. Either way, it isn't absolutely necessary anywhere. It is nice to have but most Front Wheel Drive cars go just as nicely in snow - it is really about the driver more than the car.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 PM

2008 Honda civic lx...its a good car, but I have never drove it in the snow or on icey grounds

Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
It's a front wheel drive car. You should be fine as long as the snow isn't too deep and you take your time learning how to drive in snow.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
2008 Honda civic lx...its a good car, but I have never drove it in the snow or on icey grounds
Nope - Front Wheel Drive. It is a great car that handles surprisingly well in the snow - my sister had one in high school when we lived in a snowy place. But, I would look up driving clinics in your area (you may be able to get information from your car insurance company and actually get a discount for completing this training) since it appears that you are not too experienced in that type of driving. It really does help! Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 AM

780 posts, read 2,924,920 times
That's a FWD. In US market, there is no AWD version of it.

If you are that overly concerned about driving in the snow/ice, get a set of winter tires mounted on another set of wheels. This way you can have them switched around for the right occasion and you don't wear your winter tires prematurely during the warmer months.

One more item. There is nothing like common sense to get you through winter driving. An ounce of it will get you through a lot of things.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Assuming she stays in Miami, really winter driving should not be any different from summer...

OP, if you get a chance, see if you can enroll in a "cars 101" or "powder puff mechanic" class - seems to me you know very little about cars and this would be a good way to come up to a minimum standard fairly quickly.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Assuming she stays in Miami, really winter driving should not be any different from summer...

OP, if you get a chance, see if you can enroll in a "cars 101" or "powder puff mechanic" class - seems to me you know very little about cars and this would be a good way to come up to a minimum standard fairly quickly.
The point of the thread is that the owner of the car is moving from FL to a snowy state.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
No one needs 4x4 drive to drive on snow. My old 85 volvo is rear wheel drive and one wheel drive at that, which means which ever wheel has the least traction is the one driving the car forward or backing it up.

All driving on snow means is you don't make any real fast moves. You drive a little slower in general, and don't try to stop right now fast, or peel out.

The best way to learn How To drive on ice and snow is on a frozen lake. A frozen lake wants to be 10+ inches thick of ice for driving on.

Ft wheel drive works fine on ice and snow. And getting stuck happens at time. When you are stuck you want to rock the car out and with low engine revolutions, not setting the car on fire.

On snow and slush snow it really helps to pay attention when you drive too. Running into a line of slushy snow will drag the car in what ever direction the line is.

If you invest in winter tires you want all 4 tires to be alike. The popular extra wide all season tires are about the worst tires for ice and snow. The narrowest tires work best, and concentrate the weight of the car to a narrow patch, which tends to track better in snow.

A good driver on snow can run on bald tires. It's a skill set, not a tire that makes that difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive