Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

I'm a man with a dream. One day I want to own a business that makes aftermarket performances parts similiar to AMS (GT-R, Genesis, Evo, WRx) and also start a business similiar to shelby (Ford) or amg (Mercedes) which specializes and designs performance parts for Major Parent companies like Honda..or Bmw.

I know I would need some business degrees but which degree between automotive engineering or mechnical engineering; would help me get closer to my dream?

Which degree would give me the greatest skill in designing for cars, surviving the job market and acquiring the greatest earning potential?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
One day I want to own a business
There is the key argument.

If you are the owner, it does not matter what field of engineering you would be an expert in.
You need to be a savvy business person, first.
Hire the best, and that is the way it is done.

Engineers, usually, make lousy business decisions ....

Old 11-03-2010, 05:12 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
I too am an Engineer. From my experience I would say to get an automotive engineering degree with a mechanical engineering minor..

never lose sight of your dream!!! Work hard, it will pay off. Good luck!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm a man with a dream. One day I want to own a business that makes aftermarket performances parts similiar to AMS (GT-R, Genesis, Evo, WRx) and also start a business similiar to shelby (Ford) or amg (Mercedes) which specializes and designs performance parts for Major Parent companies like Honda..or Bmw.

I know I would need some business degrees but which degree between automotive engineering or mechnical engineering; would help me get closer to my dream?

Which degree would give me the greatest skill in designing for cars, surviving the job market and acquiring the greatest earning potential?
First off, study those companies and realize how each of them started and how long it took each to get where they are.

One man with a passion modifying cars in a small garage, gaining notoriety though race wins. that's how they start. Then people with money come to them to get work done, and they get famous. Just don't screw over your customers, like so many tuners (say, Hennessey). Almost all the people that built these succesful companies were car guys from birth, tinkering and playing with cars even without tools and degrees and the like.

You have to do it becaue you love it, and cars are in your blood. Let the passion shine though. If you're primarily doing it as a way to join a gravy train of maximum profit, you'll fail, like so many other get-rich-quick automotive tuner shops have before you.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Aftermarket product design and manufacturing is not a high tech business. The most sophisticated high performance parts are often designed by people with no engineering background at all. If you are going to make 600,000 of something that costs two dollars and you want to make them for $1.65 but not result in a lot of recalls, you need to get some engineers on the job and they better be pretty good engineers too. But if you are going to soup up a popular production model ala GT-R WRx etc. you need a marketing degree and some advertising experience.

You could take apart any of these aftermarket sleds and you wouldn't find the first piece of technology that a decent racing pit crew supervisor could not have done in his garage at home.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
The key to ANY modern aftermarket performance company is tuning. Anyone can design a set of headers, a turbo, a catback, etc. It's the companies that have the knowledge to hack the ECM and tune the cars to use what they have and take advantage of the aftermarket parts. I would be focusing on automotive engineering and computers.

Looking at the companies you mentioned:

Shelby - Basically exists because of the Carrol Shelby name drawing attention. The cars are built by Ford, the aftermarket parts they use are sourced from multiple companies. The only thing they do inhouse is put the parts on and slap on the stickers.

AMG - Founded by two former Mercedes engineers and developed their reputation building competitive racing engines. Eventually they got into modifying existing Mercedes cars (akin to what Saleen does with Mustangs) and eventually tied up with Mercedes and are now a wholly owned subsidiary.

Obviously Shelby isn't really something to emulate, more of a marketing thing than an engineering thing. AMG seems to be what you want to do, but look where those guys started...working as engineers for Mercedes, so they knew the product inside and out. Just know that for every AMG there are THOUSANDS that never make it past their own backyard garage.

Regardless of the background all businesses run on two things: passion and capital. If you have those two, you can get whatever else you need and hire the people to make it work.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
I have a buddy who started making aftermarket suspension parts for his 1994 Camaro Z28. He didn't want to pay the high prices some of the other manufacturers were charging. He was already an experianced welder. He bought some tubing, some steel plates, a bender and went to town. 9 years later he sold his company for about 5-6 million dollars.. he doesn't have an engineering degree, just hard work and a lot of time..
go for it. I would say an automotive degree and an engineering degree, then get a business degree..

Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
First off, study those companies and realize how each of them started and how long it took each to get where they are.

One man with a passion modifying cars in a small garage, gaining notoriety though race wins. that's how they start. Then people with money come to them to get work done, and they get famous. Just don't screw over your customers, like so many tuners (say, Hennessey). Almost all the people that built these succesful companies were car guys from birth, tinkering and playing with cars even without tools and degrees and the like.

You have to do it becaue you love it, and cars are in your blood. Let the passion shine though. If you're primarily doing it as a way to join a gravy train of maximum profit, you'll fail, like so many other get-rich-quick automotive tuner shops have before you.
I'm very far behind. I only have 9 months of automotive experience from school and I do side projects. I was always interested in cars but I was a screwup when I was younger I'm 22 years old and have alot of catching up today.

Cars changed my life. I was not interested in being anything but I love all aspects in cars and fascinated by the machinary we take for granted everyday.

I have little experience. I used to own a 94 Honda Accord and I began modding it. messing with the vehicles weight and engine. It was fun. But I never did the "ricer" thing. Right now Im helping my friend rebuild his engine. It requires alot of precision and good habits. He shipped his block out get cleaned and polished.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
excellent.. You love and live it... Don't give up....

Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The key to ANY modern aftermarket performance company is tuning. Anyone can design a set of headers, a turbo, a catback, etc. It's the companies that have the knowledge to hack the ECM and tune the cars to use what they have and take advantage of the aftermarket parts. I would be focusing on automotive engineering and computers.

Looking at the companies you mentioned:

Shelby - Basically exists because of the Carrol Shelby name drawing attention. The cars are built by Ford, the aftermarket parts they use are sourced from multiple companies. The only thing they do inhouse is put the parts on and slap on the stickers.

AMG - Founded by two former Mercedes engineers and developed their reputation building competitive racing engines. Eventually they got into modifying existing Mercedes cars (akin to what Saleen does with Mustangs) and eventually tied up with Mercedes and are now a wholly owned subsidiary.

Obviously Shelby isn't really something to emulate, more of a marketing thing than an engineering thing. AMG seems to be what you want to do, but look where those guys started...working as engineers for Mercedes, so they knew the product inside and out. Just know that for every AMG there are THOUSANDS that never make it past their own backyard garage.

Regardless of the background all businesses run on two things: passion and capital. If you have those two, you can get whatever else you need and hire the people to make it work.
I really appreciate that advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive