Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times

Advertisements

My wife wants a new car. We've been driving a 01 Ford Expedition which we bought used in 02. We are planning to buy a used SUV. We thought we'd just get another Expedition as the last one served us well, but my wife likes the luxury, ride, amenities, etc that the Escalade or Navigator provides.

We'd have to stretch to get into an Escalade or Navigator, but we just found an 08 Escalade with 43k miles on it, in great shape, for about $32k.

Any input is valued, although I'd prefer to be spared any advice of the "get a sedan instead" type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
instead of the escalade you may want to check out the Yukon Denali.
it is pretty much an everthing a escalade is except for the steep price tag.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Outside of towing capacity, the Escalade is hands down the better SUV. More power (about 100 more horsepower) with the same MPG and more amenities, though it does cost more. The Navigators are nice, but the Escalade is in a different league.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
instead of the escalade you may want to check out the Yukon Denali.
it is pretty much an everthing a escalade is except for the steep price tag.
Good advice on that one. The Yukon Denali from 2007 on up is pretty much the same exact vehicle as the Escalade, just minus some of the bling.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
My fiancee currently drives a 2010 Cadillac Escalade and I used to drive a 2008 GMC Yukon Denali. They may share similar platforms and attributes but each is a different beast. The Denali has a more understated and less blingy look while the Escalade is the epitome of excess. If you aren't financially able to afford the Escalade, a Denali would be a very acceptable substitute. There are a few amenities available on the Escalade not available on the Denali and the interior layout structure is different on the Escalade. Other than that, you're basically paying for the Cadillac name and emblem.

It may sound like I'm dissing the Escalade but I wouldn't own one if I didn't like the vehicle. It's big, comfortable, powerful, and is just about everything one could want in a large SUV. If you can swing the price tag, I'd give the thumbs up.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Definitely consider a Denali, consider the difference in appearance, in features, and in price, see if the Escalade is worth the added cost or not.

If I were going to get something in this class, the Denali is more what I would want.

Law enforcement people seem to use a lot more GM SUVs than Ford. They tend to be hard on vehicles and to buy what's tough and does not break down on them. Just sayin'.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
Escalade!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Definitely consider a Denali, consider the difference in appearance, in features, and in price, see if the Escalade is worth the added cost or not.

If I were going to get something in this class, the Denali is more what I would want.

Law enforcement people seem to use a lot more GM SUVs than Ford. They tend to be hard on vehicles and to buy what's tough and does not break down on them. Just sayin'.
I think it's more of a preference rather than an argument of reliability. I've seen law enforcement vehicles from the entire gamut of the vehicle spectrum, many of the "specialty" vehicles are often seized vehicles from drug dealers, convicts, etc etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Not true here on the East Coast. Ford seems to be the vehicle of choice among law enforcement but Dodge seems to be gaining ground with the state police.

Escalade seems to be the vehicle of choice among gang bangers, drug dealers. gangsta wannabees.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
Escalade although Navigators are cool too. Chrysler and Lincoln really need to work on their SUVs to catch up with Escalades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive