Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times

Advertisements

My window had been slow for awhile then started sticking but would eventually work. My mechanic said it was the motor and sent me to a mechanic that was his friend who he said would charge $70.00 to replace the motor with a used one. He gave me a card to give his friend with some letters written on it, I remember the first 3 were DUI??? and after giving him this card he said it would be $70.00 or under without looking at my car.
It was fixed and works great but I am wondering if it was just dirt somewhere and didn't need a new motor to begin with.
I am just wondering also if I could have sprayed it with something to make it work right or perhaps if that is what they did?
I have always heard a new motor was very expensive and now wondering if I can really trust my first mechanic who said it was the motor.
What do you guys think about this?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I bet its a Honda. With shop rates around $90 an hour, and considering how long it takes to go in there and service window drive parts, you're getting off easy.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Dirt won't jam a window - it was a bad motor. You can remove door trim in about 5 minutes if you know what you are doing, and the motor is probably attached with three bolts, so its a quick job - sounds like you got a deal at $70.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Dirt won't jam a window - it was a bad motor. You can remove door trim in about 5 minutes if you know what you are doing, and the motor is probably attached with three bolts, so its a quick job - sounds like you got a deal at $70.
Thanks, I feel better now because I really want to trust my mechanic.
I have heard it was a very expensive job and I am really thankful to get it done so cheaply.
Thank you

Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Thanks, I feel better now because I really want to trust my mechanic.
I have heard it was a very expensive job and I am really thankful to get it done so cheaply.
Thank you
Sorry that you're having "enough" issues with your car lately and yes if that used motor doesn't have much wear for $70.00 installed is a good deal.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Some power window motors are riveted in and can be a pain in the a$$ to replace. Id say that quote is reasonable, depending on the complexity.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
It is a direct current motor that can run both ways, one way at a time. It could have needed lube or brushes. Chances are it was a good used unit, and yours will be a good used unti for someone else rather cheap.

I have a bad one in my full sized Dodge van. Once a while back i opened it up and cleaned and greased it, since then I think a simple carbon brush failed, so once Spring breaks i will pull it out and fix it. No spray will get to where these need lube.

In the Dodge van it is a chore to get the motor out, as it must come out with the window regulator, and is semi difficult to reach. You got a good fair deal.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet its a Honda. With shop rates around $90 an hour, and considering how long it takes to go in there and service window drive parts, you're getting off easy.
I was betting it was a fors has they all seem to have window motor problems. Especailly the turcks.But its likely he saved you about 300+ at a dealer for new motor.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
My window had been slow for awhile then started sticking but would eventually work. My mechanic said it was the motor and sent me to a mechanic that was his friend who he said would charge $70.00 to replace the motor with a used one. He gave me a card to give his friend with some letters written on it, I remember the first 3 were DUI??? and after giving him this card he said it would be $70.00 or under without looking at my car.
It was fixed and works great but I am wondering if it was just dirt somewhere and didn't need a new motor to begin with.
I am just wondering also if I could have sprayed it with something to make it work right or perhaps if that is what they did?
I have always heard a new motor was very expensive and now wondering if I can really trust my first mechanic who said it was the motor.
What do you guys think about this?
Thanks
Even if it was "just dirt" (or something similarly simple) and it didn't need a new motor, $70 is a reasonable price just for the labor alone. So even if you got "ripped off," you didn't really get ripped off.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
$70 is cheap!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive