Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM

59 posts, read 134,533 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'd like to buy an used car from a private seller. I'm from Europe, living in Miami since a few months and i don't understand someting about the title transfer process :

I want the seller to come with me to the DMV in a few days to close the deal and sign the bill of sale, also at the DMV i can check the loan on the title has been properly reimbursed (at this time, it's not; so i need to be 100% certain of it).

A clerc at the DMV told me the car i'd like to buy has an electronic title and in order to make the transfer, i'd need to bring my passport and insurance.

So my question is how do i get insurance before i buy the car, so i can bring proof of insurance at my dmv and make the transfer of the title ?? Is it even possible or do i have first to pay for the car, bring the bill of sale to the insurance and then return to the dmv make the transfer of the title ?

Thank you for you help (and sorry for my english )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
insurance company doesn't need the bill of sale. Just call your insurance company, tell them that you're buying a car. they will need the VIN number, and some other information, and you can request that they activate the coverage the day you purchase the vehicle.

then they'll fax or mail you "proof of insurance" on the vehicle you don't yet own. My lender needed me to complete this before they'd loan me the money... your situation may be different.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I had to do that once...as I recall, I called my insurance agent and gave them the particulars on the new (well, used) car and they issued me insurance so I was legal from the get-go.

Different states may have slightly differing rules, but I think a call to an insurance agent would get the ball rolling.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Ok great, thank you very much for your answers, i'll call my insurance to do that !

Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I have never heard of an "electronic title" - anyone else heard of it? Maybe Florida does this, all my cars, trucks, and bike have regular paper titles.

Make sure you are not being taken advantage of.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Hi Mitch,

Me Neither until today, i found this link though so it looks like it's "legit" :

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive