Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:09 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times

Advertisements

See it all the time here in Wisconsin. A little snow on the roof doesn't bother me. What is really bad is when the car is just covered all over, including the hood. That can be dangerous as the snow can fly up and temporarily cover the windshield of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I am so activated this morning. Here in Baltimore, we've received about a foot of snow in the past 16 hours. I see a lot of cars driving and tossing neglected snow bricks off of their roofs, especially SUVs. And they drive on unsuspectingly. I swear if I catch anyone with literal panels of snow flying from their car I'm going to flip out on them. It's so irresponsible, and there's no excuse!
Seriously, you may want to consider not being that close to them on the road. Snow from the top of a vehicle doesn't have that much hang-time when it comes off. But, if your that upset about it, look to see if there is a local law that mandates that you must clear off your vehicle after every snow fall. Just saying.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Seriously, you may want to consider not being that close to them on the road. Snow from the top of a vehicle doesn't have that much hang-time when it comes off. But, if your that upset about it, look to see if there is a local law that mandates that you must clear off your vehicle after every snow fall. Just saying.
This is exactly correct and most of the time the draft of the vehicle will keep the snow close to it as it heads toward the ground. I have never ever seen this as a problem except for sheets coming down off the top of big rig trailers, but obviously that isn't what this thread is about.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
I am so activated this morning. Here in Baltimore, we've received about a foot of snow in the past 16 hours. I see a lot of cars driving and tossing neglected snow bricks off of their roofs, especially SUVs. And they drive on unsuspectingly. I swear if I catch anyone with literal panels of snow flying from their car I'm going to flip out on them. It's so irresponsible, and there's no excuse!
You are... activated? I'm not quite sure what that means. Did you help any older folks with mobility problems clean off their car this morning, or do you just choose to whine about snow chunks sliding off of vehicles? A divorced woman lives to my right and a widow two doors up on the left. The widow has a 22 year old living at home, so I knew she'd be OK. The (previously pampered) divorcee with two small kids at home didn't have a clue. After I had cleaned off my car, I left my son to shovel the drive and went over to help her. I am 22 years older than she and I still managed to help.

Some people are idiots or they just don't care. Some people merely need help.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
I live in Virginia and we dont have too much snow here. But we did have 14 inches a month or so ago, that was fun. I have a car cover I found at a yard sale for $5. When we had that big snow, right when it started I went out and covered my car with the cover. The next afternoon, I went out and pulled this heavy snow filled cover off leaving my car looking like it hadn't even snowed. Getting out of the driveway was another story.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You are... activated? I'm not quite sure what that means. Did you help any older folks with mobility problems clean off their car this morning, or do you just choose to whine about snow chunks sliding off of vehicles? A divorced woman lives to my right and a widow two doors up on the left. The widow has a 22 year old living at home, so I knew she'd be OK. The (previously pampered) divorcee with two small kids at home didn't have a clue. After I had cleaned off my car, I left my son to shovel the drive and went over to help her. I am 22 years older than she and I still managed to help.

Some people are idiots or they just don't care. Some people merely need help.
Activated, meaning I was a bit "peeved" by this. Honestly no, I didn't help any older folks this morning, nor did the opportunity present itself. However, that fact does not invalidate my statement. Many of the people I drove past after seeing projectiles flying from their roofs at least appeared to be able bodied. But I could be wrong.

Either way, for the people who assume that these sheets of packed snow fly directly backwards, that's not true. Sometimes avoiding them by giving more distance isn't an option. On a multi-lane highway driving within a certain proximity of these idiots in any direction but in front of them can be dicey. I don't know how someone can defend the laziness of an able bodied individual causing an obvious danger on the road.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
A few days ago, I saw someone in an SUV on US Rt. 1 (NJ) driving with a whole heap of snow on the top of their car. Really and of all places, Route 1?! You're just asking for an accident!

It takes..what...5 mins or less to clear the snow from the top of the car? Just get a broom and swoosh that snow off the car BEFORE you go out on the road! It's not that hard.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 AM

For the most part we like to leave the snow on our vehicles just for the extra added weight for traction.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Fun part is when you see the occasional greenhorn trucker who hasn't shoveled the snow off his rig.

...I've never seen anyone of them do that more than once.
Do you have ANY idea how difficult it would be to clear snow/ice from the top of a 53' trailer that is 13' 6" tall??? Just how expensive do you think it would be to have snow removal equipment at every little drop yard in America??? And the number of Workmen's Comp claims (if the driver survives...) would bankrupt many trucking companies.

Sometimes people need to understand the cost/benefit ratio to ideas before they put them into law...

Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Do you have ANY idea how difficult it would be to clear snow/ice from the top of a 53' trailer that is 13' 6" tall??? Just how expensive do you think it would be to have snow removal equipment at every little drop yard in America??? And the number of Workmen's Comp claims (if the driver survives...) would bankrupt many trucking companies.

Sometimes people need to understand the cost/benefit ratio to ideas before they put them into law...
Hey CC,

A freind of mine makes good money off the truck drivers by cleaning the snow off the top of their box trailers. Due to all the extra wieght that the snow adds, they have to get it removed before they can scale in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive