Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
To all of you know-it-alls telling the OP to keep his distance, a lot of snow on the roof can cause poor visibility for tens of car lengths behind them on an interstate; much worse if it's a rig.

It's pure laziness.
It's pure inexperience on your part if you don't know how to deal with such a simple situation. Its also pure idiocy if you are so concerned for your life yet choose stay in this zone of "poor visibility".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Did I ever say it was in the USA? Did I ever say you truckers were lazy?

Try not taking it so personally and read in particular my earlier reply to Crew Chief, it might help you out a little. No need to PMS over it
@ TheViking,

The lazy part was actually a smack from post #56, not yours.

Too many people in this country love to whine and cry about truckers all the time. But yet there are probibly more accident cause be careless four wheelers than truck drives on our highways every day. And they feel that we should be doing certain things their way just because it's how they see it. Heck, I've acually come across people saying that they should make trucks use only, now get this "Truck roads" and to stay off "car roads".

Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
@ TheViking,

The lazy part was actually a smack from post #56, not yours.

Too many people in this country love to whine and cry about truckers all the time. But yet there are probibly more accident cause be careless four wheelers than truck drives on our highways every day. And they feel that we should be doing certain things their way just because it's how they see it. Heck, I've acually come across people saying that they should make trucks use only, now get this "Truck roads" and to stay off "car roads".
Fair enough.

In my experience, truckers are the safest people on the road. They rack up tens to hundreds of thousands of miles every year, usually without incident, handling a machine far more complicated both to operate and to simply keep track of, than a car.

If there are one group of people I trusted completely when I got road advice from back in Norway, it was the Norwegian truckers.

...And boy if they didn't get me out of a lot of speeding tickets!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,091 times
Cannot believe the horrible accusations being told regarding blaming the truck drivers for not cleaning their trucks off!!! When 97% of the other vehicles barely have a view out of their front and back windshields. Not to mention, the ridiculously close driving behind the trucks; guess what folks NOT the truck drivers fault. I have seen a number of videos as well of this happening: only one problem....they are videotaping WHILE driving. Who is breaking the law there? Do not blame EVERYTHING on drivers, when they are the ones who deliver all what the 'english' desire.
Stupid English

Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM

358 posts, read 886,252 times
It seems the argument being made is it is too difficult and too costly to remove the snow and prevent a dangerous condition that will injure other people. To me, this seems akin to saying "I cannot repair my braking system when it is broken. It is expensive and I do not carry the necessary tools around with me."

I would suggest the answer is: If you cannot afford to maintain your truck in a safe condition - then do not drive it.

It seems simple really. You must maintain your windscreen, brakes, turning indicators and braking lights, headlamps, and many other items that are costly to maintain and/or require special tools or procedures. This does not appear to be any different. How do you professional truck drivers see the removal of snow and ice as anything different than replacing an expired headlamp or turning indicator?

Recently while driving in a part of the United States with a very cold climate on roads that were ice covered and slippery, I was amazed by some drivers of large trucks moving along at 50 plus miles per hour when all other vehicles (and many trucks) were traveling at no more than 25 miles per hour. Certainly a heavy truck is less likely to break traction, but once they break traction, they are very likely to kill someone. Further, they are not going to stop any better on ice. Perhaps some truck drives simply have no concern for the lives and safety of others? That would explain the high speed driving on ice as well as the reluctance to remove snow and especially ice from the top of a tractor or trailer.

Further, I know from personal experience a trucking company is liable for pieces of a tyre flying off and damaging a vehicle or causing an injury. Trucks are required to be maintained in a safe condition so that they do not pose a danger to others on the road. The failure of a tyre was deemed de facto proof of negligence when my sister's daughter was injured by a piece of tire that ripped through her convertible top and hit her int he head. Frequently the trucking company is not liable only because no one knows where the tyre bits came from. However in our case, another driver witnessed the event and took down the license tag information and the name of the trucking company. She was awarded $80,000, but much of that went for legal and medical expenses. I would expect a trucking company to be equally liable for causing an injury by negligently driving the vehicle with snow or ice creating a dangerous condition for other drivers.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Default New CT law re ice on trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
It's against the law in Pennsylvania not to clean snow off of the top of your car or truck.
Starting this Jan., CT added trucks to the existing law re cars. $75 fine plus more if they cause damage or injury.

CT To Crack Down On Ice-Flinging Trucks - Courant.com

Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Starting this Jan., CT added trucks to the existing law re cars. $75 fine plus more if they cause damage or injury.

CT To Crack Down On Ice-Flinging Trucks - Courant.com
Now get troopers to crack down on it. $75 for snow on your car or $200 for speeding

If I was a trooper I'd be pulling people over all day for not clearing their cars. The argument to stay back further is just dumb, the spread of snow flying off a car and causing hazard conditions for those behind them is a very wide area of coverage as it makes it much more difficult to see down the road even 10 cars back. So some people want you to stay 1/4 mile away to be safe but when you have hundreds and thousands of people driving on the same road in the same direction keep that kind of distance from a few who are just lazy, smh.

Saw a guy yesterday in a Maxima with just half the windshield cleared and snow piled everywhere else, I couldn't understand how he could see over the snow on his hood.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Default you climb on top of a tractor with snow/ ice on it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
It seems the argument being made is it is too difficult and too costly to remove the snow and prevent a dangerous condition that will injure other people. To me, this seems akin to saying "I cannot repair my braking system when it is broken. It is expensive and I do not carry the necessary tools around with me."

I would suggest the answer is: If you cannot afford to maintain your truck in a safe condition - then do not drive it.

It seems simple really. You must maintain your windscreen, brakes, turning indicators and braking lights, headlamps, and many other items that are costly to maintain and/or require special tools or procedures. This does not appear to be any different. How do you professional truck drivers see the removal of snow and ice as anything different than replacing an expired headlamp or turning indicator?

Recently while driving in a part of the United States with a very cold climate on roads that were ice covered and slippery, I was amazed by some drivers of large trucks moving along at 50 plus miles per hour when all other vehicles (and many trucks) were traveling at no more than 25 miles per hour. Certainly a heavy truck is less likely to break traction, but once they break traction, they are very likely to kill someone. Further, they are not going to stop any better on ice. Perhaps some truck drives simply have no concern for the lives and safety of others? That would explain the high speed driving on ice as well as the reluctance to remove snow and especially ice from the top of a tractor or trailer.

Further, I know from personal experience a trucking company is liable for pieces of a tyre flying off and damaging a vehicle or causing an injury. Trucks are required to be maintained in a safe condition so that they do not pose a danger to others on the road. The failure of a tyre was deemed de facto proof of negligence when my sister's daughter was injured by a piece of tire that ripped through her convertible top and hit her int he head. Frequently the trucking company is not liable only because no one knows where the tyre bits came from. However in our case, another driver witnessed the event and took down the license tag information and the name of the trucking company. She was awarded $80,000, but much of that went for legal and medical expenses. I would expect a trucking company to be equally liable for causing an injury by negligently driving the vehicle with snow or ice creating a dangerous condition for other drivers.
I'd like to see you climb on top of YOUR own tractor covered in ice and snow without a ladder!!! It is a plastic roof that will cave in with any extra weight. Why dont you drive around the country hauling a 14ft ladder and a shovel; while figuring out how to secure it at the same time? Make it YOUR job to clear every truck off (be it rest areas or truck stops, exit ramps/ on ramps) making 25$ per truck. mind you, in the snow and possible blizzard conditions scraping each truck. In addition to carrying the necessary permits to be able to do this. Better yet, have us truck drivers completely STOP coming into YOUR states that come in daily with YOUR PRODUCTS you need (toilet paper, medicine, your bottled water that you are wasting money on and groceries)
also, how is your vehicle maintained this winter? Have you replaced wiperblades, filled oil up, changed headlights? oh yeah probably not since you have a heated garage with no need to maintain.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM

If you drive into truck stops in Chicago, having snow on top of the trailer; there are people that will clear it off for you. 250$ per trailer. 1st time that one of them falls off (purposely perhaps) the state will get sued for letting this happen to begin with. It is way to dangerous of a task to complete.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatink View Post
I'd like to see you climb on top of YOUR own tractor covered in ice and snow without a ladder!!! It is a plastic roof that will cave in with any extra weight. Why dont you drive around the country hauling a 14ft ladder and a shovel; while figuring out how to secure it at the same time? Make it YOUR job to clear every truck off (be it rest areas or truck stops, exit ramps/ on ramps) making 25$ per truck. mind you, in the snow and possible blizzard conditions scraping each truck. In addition to carrying the necessary permits to be able to do this. Better yet, have us truck drivers completely STOP coming into YOUR states that come in daily with YOUR PRODUCTS you need (toilet paper, medicine, your bottled water that you are wasting money on and groceries)
also, how is your vehicle maintained this winter? Have you replaced wiperblades, filled oil up, changed headlights? oh yeah probably not since you have a heated garage with no need to maintain.
If they put effort into it I bet they could find a way to carry a 14 foot ladder and a shovel. If you don't want to do your job there are others who could do it instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive