U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,882,388 times

Advertisements

So my 2008 Civic has an insanely annoying beep if you turn the key and dont have your belt buckled. I wear my seatbelt religiously, but I usually reach in and start my car in the morning and let it warm up. I'm one who is very annoying with beeps so I heard if I got seat belt extenders it would trick the sensor into thinking it's latched and it wont beep. So I ordered a set from eBay. Got em today and they work, beep is gone and it's way easier to buckle up.
On further inspection I see that my latch wiggles much more freely than it does with the original belt receiver. I do not feel safe so I wont be using them. Anyone know anything about these? Wouldn't something this crucial to survival duringa crash have to be approved by the government?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 10,866,284 times
I see no issue with them. They are meant for overweight people so they're strong and are required to meet standards... if that gives you any comfort.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:12 PM

63,299 posts, read 48,819,632 times
Quite frankly, if you someone is so heavy that they require a seat belt extender they aren't going to be living to any ripe old age anyway so why bother wearing one?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM

15,808 posts, read 50,856,905 times
Wouldn't taking the beeper out or doing something to keep the sensor switch closed or permanently connect the 2 wires to that switch make more sense, if you are trying to get rid of the beep?

Back in the day VW had the class and sense to put the seat belt beeper in a relay-type housing, it (was) located amongst the fuel pump relay, turn signal flasher, etc. The one on the 'roc was long gone when I got the car.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Wouldn't taking the beeper out or doing something to keep the sensor switch closed or permanently connect the 2 wires to that switch make more sense, if you are trying to get rid of the beep?

Back in the day VW had the class and sense to put the seat belt beeper in a relay-type housing, it (was) located amongst the fuel pump relay, turn signal flasher, etc. The one on the 'roc was long gone when I got the car.
I have visited the gen8 Civic forums to find out how to disable it and they know their stuff and the only way to disarm it is to tear apart the dash and remove the beeper. That's a bit more than I want to do, not trying to destroy my car.

I'm only worried because when I latch it it's sloppy and the latch holds but it wiggles and has play. Not as tight as the original, feels like it would pop out if I were in a high impact crash.

And I did not buy them because I am obese,lol. Just to get rid of the beeping.

My older cars were a breeze to disable, this car not so easy.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have visited the gen8 Civic forums to find out how to disable it and they know their stuff and the only way to disarm it is to tear apart the dash and remove the beeper. That's a bit more than I want to do, not trying to destroy my car.

I'm only worried because when I latch it it's sloppy and the latch holds but it wiggles and has play. Not as tight as the original, feels like it would pop out if I were in a high impact crash.

And I did not buy them because I am obese,lol. Just to get rid of the beeping.

My older cars were a breeze to disable, this car not so easy.
Most seat belt buzzers are looking for input from a switch that's part of the buckle, the part that's bolted to the floor. You could, I think, either mechanically lock the switch closed, or unplug the switch and put a jumper wire into the plug so the system "thinks" the switch is closed, no?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 10,866,284 times
Unless the buckle switch has a specific resistance that needs to be seen by the computer then follow Mitch's advice. There should be two leads running to the female side of the buckle, just short them.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM

This sounds easy enough, do you guys think it would mess with the air bag computer?

Another thing I noticed is there are 2 tiny hex screws in the plastuc housing of the receiving end of the buckle, security screws with a prong in the center. I have access to the keys that will open this (perks of my job). Maybe there is a tab inside the receiving end that I can mess with to get it to trick the system.

I'll try it this weekend. I really dont get why newer cars have to have all these beeps. There should be an "OFF" button for all beeps since you pay so much for a new car.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM

6,368 posts, read 15,365,248 times
Might be a good idea before you clip any wires to get a wiring diagram first to make sure nothing else is involved on that circuit, something like an airbag sensor or the like.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Might be a good idea before you clip any wires to get a wiring diagram first to make sure nothing else is involved on that circuit, something like an airbag sensor or the like.
*NOTE*, I did not suggest cutting any wires. Put them damn Dykes back in the toolbox. Specifically, I suggested unplugging a connector and jumpering the appropriate pins.

Do check the forum, it would be very Japanese to have a specific resistor such that just jumpering the wires won't work. Damn conformists.

It might be more practical to jam or lock the switch mechanically, maybe by drilling a small hole and inserting a pin, or even a wire tie.

3-steps is right as usual, I think the airbag computer does look at if the belt is fastened so know what you are doing or leave well enough alone.

Realize, too, that if you do run with the switch "jimmied" and don't wear your seatbelt, the airbag system will "think" you do have it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive