Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM

77 posts, read 377,990 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to be moving from Saint Paul, Minnesota to Nanaimo, BC in less than a month, and we are planning on driving. The tires on my car are close to needing to be replaced anyway, so I was contemplating buying a set of used snow tires for our drive through the mountains, and then replacing them with new all seasons shortly after we arrive. A friend of mine suggested nokians wrg2 instead of dedicated snow tires, since we won't need snow tires in Nanaimo, BC, and then simply not replacing them when we arrive. So what do you guys think?

Also, I am contemplating skirting off the I90, down the I15, and then back north on the I84 in order to bypass some of the mountains. Any thoughts or opinions about that/

Thanks.
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
The Nokian WRG2 is listed/rated as an 'all weather' tire...on some brands, that designation means the tire is just so-so in any season, and made for going to the store or soccer practice with the kids. Some Net Noodling suggests that the Noke tire is pretty good in snow, but certainly not a dedicated snow tire by any stretch, imo.

The idea of buying a used set for the trip makes some sense, if you can find a set in good condition, maybe only used one season. Or, look around for a set of dedicated snow tires, (with the snowflake logo on sidewall), put 'em on, drive to BC, replace with regular/all season tires.

No help on your route question...
GL, mD

Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
The tires will cost you a lot more in Canada than they will in MPLS.

Your going to be on the main highway so your all-season tires will be just fine plus your car will be full of your gear giving you more weight, this is good for traction should you see any snow on your trip.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Just make sure those used tires are less than 4 years old.
5 years old, I would NOT use them.
Do you have a set of chains with you ??

Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just make sure those used tires are less than 4 years old.
5 years old, I would NOT use them.
Do you have a set of chains with you ??
I agree, tires over 4 years old even with plenty of tread can come apart on along road trip like that. There are codes on them that can be used to identify the date of manufacture. recently some tires sold as new have been found to be from old 2-3 year old stock.

I'd suggest new all season M+S tires and carry chains.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Just buy the all-season tires you would have bought anyway, and enjoy the drive. Nanaimo doesn't get all that much snow. If you need to chain up to get over the Rockies, you can rent the chains at the pass. If you run into a snowstorm along the way, it will be moving in the opposite direction, so you can check into a motel and wait it out for a day. The plains and prairies are pretty dry, so they generally don't get much snow unless there is actually a heavy storm system in progress, which occurs only a few times per winter. Otherwise, there may be icy patches on some highways, but no standing snow in which snow tires would be essential as opposed to all-season.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
I know that a lot of law firms are trying to scoop up accident victims who had old tires on their car when they wrecked with ads, web sites and press releases.
And, the auto manufacturers are covering their butts with press releases. But, where is some hard data on tire failures by age. I don't want to call BS on this 4 year thing until I've seen some data, but where is it?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Well, here is the data. You can read it yourselves but I think a 6 year old tire is about as much more dangerous as carrying a metal umbrella instead of wearing a raincoat in a thunderstorm.

Please note that the Firestone Tire suit, recall and investigation had to do with a manufacturing defect causing de-lamination of the tire tread from the belts over time. Not just old tires.

www.cbsatlanta.com/download/2010/0512/23529107.pdf (http://www.cbsatlanta.com/download/2010/0512/23529107.pdf - broken link)

Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, here is the data. You can read it yourselves but I think a 6 year old tire is about as much more dangerous as carrying a metal umbrella instead of wearing a raincoat in a thunderstorm.
Thanks Wilson for the source.
In any case, anybody is allowed to use whatever tires he or she thinks are OK to use.

Keep in mind, that I mentioned *I would not use them*.
I did NOT say *You should not use them*.

The studies mention 5 as the lowest amount of years,
after which there should be regular inspections,
and concern for failure possibilities.
So to stay on the safe side, I mentioned 4.
At least there is some kind safety factor there.

So, call it BS or whatever.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Buy the tires you like and use cable chains such as these when the roads get snowed in or iced in..................

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SC1030 Radial Chain Cable Traction Tire Chain - Set of 2: Automotive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive