Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

First of all, I do not wish for this to turn into a debate whether or not fuel injector cleaners work. I've already made up my mind to use them, the only question is "when?" Last time I used them almost a year ago, my mechanic diagnosed my car with dirty injectors, and I opted to use the cleaner instead of shelling out for cleaning at the shop. It stopped the shaking at idle and increased my mpg slightly.

I did not do the cleaning right before my oil change at that time but I've been told this should preferably be done right before an oil change. Is there any merit to changing your oil right after using fuel injector cleaner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Unless I'm missing something, I can't see any link between the two basic functions. So it should make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
jtur88 is right on. They are completely seperate systems and one won't effect the other. Most people who run injector cleaner do it when they change the oil just as a routine. One thing I would recommend is running the tank down to near empty, adding the cleaner and then filling the tank in order to better mix the injector cleaner with the gas.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Unless I'm missing something, I can't see any link between the two basic functions. So it should make absolutely no difference whatsoever.
I'd say he's worried about the FI cleaner contaminating his oil.

To the OP. If you're just pouring a can of cleaner in the gas tank, it won't make a difference one way or the other.

If you're having real problems, seek out a shop that uses a Motorvac FI cleaning system. It not only cleans the injectors, it cleans the entire fuel system and cleans the combustion chambers of carbon. You will definitely feel the before and after difference.

Here's an article The Auto Channel--MotorVac

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
You add it in before an oil change. The idea is that as it breaks up anything the oil can catch it, and then you want to replace the oil.

What y'all are missing is that the gas and oil do mix in the pistons, and that can be where the oil picks up the additive and any crud from the injectors. If you use the additive, change the oil after a tank of normal gas.

Whether there is merit in that or not, who knows, but that's the theory.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
You add it in before an oil change. The idea is that as it breaks up anything the oil can catch it, and then you want to replace the oil.

What y'all are missing is that the gas and oil do mix in the pistons, and that can be where the oil picks up the additive and any crud from the injectors. If you use the additive, change the oil after a tank of normal gas.

If anything is loosened, it's going out the exhaust rather than in the oil.

And how does gas and oil mix in the pistons? If you mean in the cylinders and the rings are that worn, a mechanic in a can isn't going to help.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post

It's not the "crud" that's the issue, but the cleaner itself. The crud gets broken down and burned off in the combustion chamber. Some of the cleaners (since they don't burn that well) can leech past the rings into the crank case and contaminate the oil. Generally, the better the cleaner, the worse it is for the oil.

With that said, most of the ones you are going to find in the parts store like Techron, Lucas, STP, etc. aren't going to cause any issues being run through once or twice in between oil changes. In fact, I believe Techron won't even show up on an oil analysis.

Now, if you are using something like BG 44k cleaner, it would be best to use it in the last tank before the oil change. I guess if you want to be ultra-cautious you would always run it in the last tank before getting the oil changed, but it really isn't necessary with the majority of common cleaners people use.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Right there on the bottle of Techron, it says (well it's been awhile since I looked at a new bottle of Techron, but at least a few years ago this was true) if you are going to run a "cleanup" full dose, you should change the oil when you finish most of that tank full of gas, I think 3-steps is correct in saying the issue is that some of the FI cleaner will get into the oil.

BTW the recommended way to use a cleanup dose is to add the FI cleaner to a tank of gas, then run that tank full of gas down to 1/4 tank without adding any gas to the tank. At least a few short trips that leave the valves wet with gas/cleaner for a relatively long time will help too.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 41,984 times
Use it only after oil change! And my recommendation will be visit [url]http://injectorcleanermanual.com[/url] and find the answers to your questions. Also there is a comparison table of the best fuel treatments.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Perhaps read the cleaner label. most other than just light injector cleaner recommend adding on low tank at fill up and before oil change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive