Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 PM

51 posts, read 222,544 times

Advertisements

sorry if this was asked already but ...

everytime I begin to look for either a new or used car, I always get steered away from american cars and tend towards toyotas, hondas, etc. I largely am effected by the reliability ratings posted by consumer reports. The japanese cars always show all red and good predicted reliability while the american ones always show lots of black and many potential problems

is there truth to these ratings, or are they phony.

I have had two hondas and frankly I have had more problems with them then expected ... needed new A/C system, new cooling system, new exhaust system, other misc items. Not like some people say ... just changed the oil and got 100k + miles.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
like any other publication, consumer reports has their likes and dislikes, as well as their own prejudice when it comes to cars. they are good at rating toasters, and other appliances imo, but when it comes to automobiles, not so much. if you want real ratings for cars, check out JD power instead.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its kind of like Frod predicting higher resale value. i most go by people i know vehciles and my own experience.I have now bought honda and toyota for the last 17 yeqrs with zero repoairs other than normal mainteance. Had ome truck from 98 to 2008 that 500 dollared me to death in comparison.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
JD Power will report incidents per 100 cars...then you'll see Japanese fall out and American and German show its stuff.

I mean, just buy a car that fits your needs and that you enjoy driving and that you can afford.

It's all a crap shoot.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
In general daily commuters and japanese cars go hand in hand. My Civic has been awesome as have all my Honda's, the only problem is they are pretty boring and not nearly as fun as a Mustang GT convertible

But if your just wanting reliablility, resale, and long term quality yeah the Hondas and Toys are best. Sure there are exceptions, but in general the Japanese commuters are the best.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Sorry but JD Powers is only good for the first three months, not so much afterwards. Did you buy the Honda's new or used?
Going by the consumer reports ratings is pretty good although if you buy used you are at the mercy of the person who owned the vehicle before you. If they took care of the car it will more than likely be good to you, if they abused it, then well it will probably be problematic. Consumer reports uses ratings per what owners say about their vehicles. Whether or not the owners lie or not is subjective.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM

51 posts, read 222,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sorry but JD Powers is only good for the first three months, not so much afterwards. Did you buy the Honda's new or used?
Going by the consumer reports ratings is pretty good although if you buy used you are at the mercy of the person who owned the vehicle before you. If they took care of the car it will more than likely be good to you, if they abused it, then well it will probably be problematic. Consumer reports uses ratings per what owners say about their vehicles. Whether or not the owners lie or not is subjective.
One was new and one was used. A CRV and a Civic. Both are supposed to be excellent in reliability which is my number one item of interest. Style is not so important. One small car for commuting and a slightly larger one for family and toting around stuff. Surprisingly the new CRV (2006) gave me more problems then the used civic. Every 6 months a new problem pops up. The latest one is the cars computer is shot and it needs a new one. The civic has had its share of issues as well. I want a car that I can just drive and not have maintenance issues, but I suppose that like another poster said its all a crapshoot. Maybe I just got unlucky.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
As far as I know, CR bases everything they publish on the actual user experience of a statistically valid sample. They've been around a long time, and there has been ample opportunity for anyone to prove, or show substantial evidence that there is any editorial manipulation of their test results. The honest authenticity of what they've published has not been credibly challenged, as far as I know, and certainly would have been if there is any basis for it.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:16 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As far as I know, CR bases everything they publish on the actual user experience of a statistically valid sample. They've been around a long time, and there has been ample opportunity for anyone to prove, or show substantial evidence that there is any editorial manipulation of their test results. The honest authenticity of what they've published has not been credibly challenged, as far as I know, and certainly would have been if there is any basis for it.
I think this is 100% correct. Consumer Reports bases their recommendations for cars and other consumer goods based on their survey of members. The people who are members (subscribers) are probably not a direct cross-section of America, probably better educated and more affluent than average, but it's real data they are working with.

Their car reviews are much better since the new cars editor, David Champion IIRC, took over a few years ago. He's a real car guy so he realizes it's not just about A to B for all car buyers, some want something sporty, some want something luxurious, etc.

The point about statistically valid sample is well taken - if they don't get enough returns on a particular car, they just don't rate it.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:11 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
... but it's real data they are working with.
Indeed. While that data can still be skewed, CR's surveys are completed without the bribery that others post. Likewise, their data includes more of the long term, whereas others are just asking about the 90-day aspect.

Will some folks have tendency to downplay (or emphasize) an issue? Perhaps, but overall, their surveys are more valid than other surveys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxpower View Post
One was new and one was used. A CRV and a Civic. Both are supposed to be excellent in reliability which is my number one item of interest.

... but I suppose that like another poster said its all a crapshoot. Maybe I just got unlucky.
Perhaps so. Even though statistically they're more reliable, they're not perfect. Likewise, even for some statistically unreliable cars, there are ones that manage to defy the odds and survive.

I know for a while, Honda had issues with their 5-speed automatic transmissions (used in the Accord, Odyssey, and TL). Ditto with the early 7th generation (2001-2005) Civics ... I know someone who bought their's brand new, maintained it by the book, and yet is on its 3rd transmission now. To Goudy Honda's (the dealer) credit, they did push American Honda to cover it, even though it was well out of warranty (over 100k miles). Yes, they were design flaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive