Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
It's not that part - it's the part that you DON'T say you have a trade in until you negotiate the price of the new car first. Otherwise, the salesperson will start playing games and mixing the two numbers together in attempts to confuse the buyer.
That isn't goig to bother them at all;happens all the time. Like they may actaully reject the tradewith those issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
It's not that part - it's the part that you DON'T say you have a trade in until you negotiate the price of the new car first. Otherwise, the salesperson will start playing games and mixing the two numbers together in attempts to confuse the buyer.
It's a stupid tactic that backfires more often than helps.

And really, it boils down to three numbers.

Selling price - trade-in value = dollar amount to be financed / paid

If you are too stupid to keep track of the numbers, then perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to buy a car.

It has nothing to do with games. People are too stupid / lazy to look at everything and take 60 seconds to assess it. Then they get home and blame the dealership or the salesman for their own stupidity. If you ask for more trade-in money and the number goes up, as does the selling price, and you are too lazy or stupid to notice, then frankly, you deserve to get shafted. Sorry, but when I'm signing on the line for tens of thousands of dollars, I take a few minutes to make sure all the figures are in order.

Meanwhile, someone takes this stupid advice, and pretends they have no trade. They try and negotiate purely on the price of the car. The car has a fixed bottom dollar, a point where it loses money or isn't profitable enough to sell. But a trade-in...if you are $500 or $1000 away from making a deal, you can get the used car manager to give you a bump to swing the deal. But not if you don't know there is a trade-in.

Awful, awful advice.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It's a stupid tactic that backfires more often than helps.
Then how come so many car buying tips suggest this tactic?

How to Buy a New Car - Trade-In
http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Buying-Tips---The-Dreaded-Trade-In&id=5041564 (broken link)
new car prices, dealer scams, negotiating, dealer invoice price, Car buying tips
Trade In, Buy New Car, and Finance Strategy - IntelliChoice
Getting the Best Deal: Purchase Price and Trade-Ins - Cars.com

Surely, I, along with all these places and many more must be wrong ...

Quote:
If you are too stupid to keep track of the numbers, then perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to buy a car.
Perhaps, but that's why people hate the salespeople - because they take advantage of the buyer's stupidity.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with games. People are too stupid / lazy to look at everything and take 60 seconds to assess it. Then they get home and blame the dealership or the salesman for their own stupidity. If you ask for more trade-in money and the number goes up, as does the selling price, and you are too lazy or stupid to notice, then frankly, you deserve to get shafted. Sorry, but when I'm signing on the line for tens of thousands of dollars, I take a few minutes to make sure all the figures are in order.
No, it is a game. And yes, people do allow themselves to be taken advantage, but consider that they try these tactics to people who do understand the numbers too.

Years back, I went with my friend to buy a new car. Supply was available, so the only stipulation was he wanted it black. Went in with an idea on the price ($1500 below MSRP, $1k above what several other dealers have advertised the same model for, $300 above invoice, and added 10% for an out-the-door price for sales tax/license/doc fees). And yet, the dealer still played games. After the price was agreed, it was onto financing. Where the games started again. Over coffee, we ran the numbers ... they rolled $1500 more into the finance than the price that was agreed on earlier. Was that our stupidity, or was that the dealer's folks trying to pull a fast one?

He bought at a different dealer the next day, which was more than happy to take his offer. No hassles, and he still had time left in the day to go back to dealer #1 and tell off the sales person and his manager.

Quote:
Meanwhile, someone takes this stupid advice,
Awful, awful advice.
Again, then why do so many car buying tips suggest this tactic? I doubt it's awful.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg242 View Post
I'm not divulging that I have a trade until I settle on a price for the Fiesta.
That will be hard to do.Dealers love to play around with the figures too much to give you a straight answer . Dont forget when a dealer says they promise you so much ON your trade in that figure is deducted from the full list price of the car even if you are buying it at a sales price. They dont knock it off of the sales price..Very shaddy but they do it and its legal.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Then how come so many car buying tips suggest this tactic?

How to Buy a New Car - Trade-In
http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Buying-Tips---The-Dreaded-Trade-In&id=5041564 (broken link)
new car prices, dealer scams, negotiating, dealer invoice price, Car buying tips
Trade In, Buy New Car, and Finance Strategy - IntelliChoice
Getting the Best Deal: Purchase Price and Trade-Ins - Cars.com

Surely, I, along with all these places and many more must be wrong ...

Because they've never actually sold cars.

Quote:
Perhaps, but that's why people hate the salespeople - because they take advantage of the buyer's stupidity....
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You let yourself get taken advantage of and then blame someone else for it?

Quote:
No, it is a game. And yes, people do allow themselves to be taken advantage, but consider that they try these tactics to people who do understand the numbers too....
Quote:
Years back, I went with my friend to buy a new car. Supply was available, so the only stipulation was he wanted it black. Went in with an idea on the price ($1500 below MSRP, $1k above what several other dealers have advertised the same model for, $300 above invoice, and added 10% for an out-the-door price for sales tax/license/doc fees). And yet, the dealer still played games. After the price was agreed, it was onto financing. Where the games started again. Over coffee, we ran the numbers ... they rolled $1500 more into the finance than the price that was agreed on earlier. Was that our stupidity, or was that the dealer's folks trying to pull a fast one?

He bought at a different dealer the next day, which was more than happy to take his offer. No hassles, and he still had time left in the day to go back to dealer #1 and tell off the sales person and his manager. ...
That's the dealer's stupidity for blowing an easy deal. And it's also relevant to my point. You took an extra couple of minutes to run through the numbers.

Quote:
Again, then why do so many car buying tips suggest this tactic? I doubt it's awful.
Again, because they've never actually sold cars.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You let yourself get taken advantage of and then blame someone else for it?
So if I purposely take something of your's, then it's your fault because it wasn't put away securely in the first place? No, it's still theft.

Quote:
That's the dealer's stupidity for blowing an easy deal.
Stupidity ... or just them trying to take advantage of a situation? Why do you think Carmax sells as well as they do? They don't try to pull this kind of crap on the customer.

Quote:
And it's also relevant to my point. You took an extra couple of minutes to run through the numbers.
We had to. We were dealing with a car salesman.

Prove to me that negotiating everything together is a better way for the consumer. Until then, I've backed up my points - my position stands - and the OP can decide how they will pursue this transaction.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Put it on craigslist for $3k and it will be gone before you can cancel the add. Maybe more.

You wont get 4k for it rom a dealer A dealer will consider it a wholesale car and probably offer $1500 for it. My parents just traded in a 98 in running condition, ex, etc, and the dealer offered $650. We got them up to 1500 on it, it was a little rough and 140k.

Down here a tranny job for that car is $1k +- .

You don't say what model it is. EX is a litle more dough, lx is a little less. 2/door or 4 door or v6 make a difference too. The v6's are the ones that tear up trannies, the 4 cylinder should be good till 150k, more if you take care of them.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
So if I purposely take something of your's, then it's your fault because it wasn't put away securely in the first place? No, it's still theft.
What a ridiculous argument. It's not theft. People can get up and leave at any time they want. It's people being too lazy or stupid to look at everything. And I don't mean reading the absolute fine print of a contract, I mean the basic numbers before them.

No one held a gun to their head and stole anything from them. They were just too lazy to read the contract they were signing.

Quote:
Stupidity ... or just them trying to take advantage of a situation? Why do you think Carmax sells as well as they do? They don't try to pull this kind of crap on the customer.
Sure they do. Carmax is pretty awful, actually. They rip people off all the time.

People just think it's so great because they don't have to negotiate.

Quote:
Prove to me that negotiating everything together is a better way for the consumer. Until then, I've backed up my points - my position stands - and the OP can decide how they will pursue this transaction.
You haven't proved anything other than that people who have never done a job can give other people advice on how to do that job.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
What a ridiculous argument. It's not theft.
So trying to take an additional $1500, after the numbers were discussed, wasn't trying to steal?

If you can't understand the analogy ... well, that's on you.

Quote:
Sure they do. Carmax is pretty awful, actually. They rip people off all the time.
So on one hand, you're fine when the car dealer tries to sneak numbers in and uses all the old tactics to try and confuse the consumer. But being treated with respect is being ripped off?

FWIW, a month ago, a co-worker bought a car. After having to tell off five dealers for playing number games and trying to %!@^ with her, she ended up buying from Carmax. The numbers were are all laid out as separate transactions in easy to understand terms, with no pressure to try and close the deal that minute. Nothing sneaky at all.

FWIW, even though the window price was higher, her monthly payments (over the same 3 year term) were lower than what four of the other dealers ended saying "it will be about".

So who was really playing the games?

Quote:
You haven't proved anything other than that people who have never done a job can give other people advice on how to do that job.
Yeah, so organizations like Intellichoice has never had to buy a car.

Like I said, my position stands, and the OP can decide how they will pursue this transaction. Keep arguing if you want, but again, I've made my points. And besides your opinions, I still haven't seen where you proved your perspective in this matter.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg242 View Post
I have an '02 Accord with 10,700 miles. The transmission has had issues with slipping going in and out of 2nd for a few years now.
11K miles and the tranny already bad? Very unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive