Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times

Advertisements

I have a 4Runner that I only drive maybe once a week sometimes once every 2 weeks. Still have the same battery in it from 7 years ago. I only keep between 1/2 to 1/4 tankful at a time and have done this for the last 6 years and have never had any problem with it. The one trip I do go on is about 30 miles round trip. I change the oil about once every 9 months. By the way, the vehicle is garaged the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Short trips are bad for engines, but I was not aware of this damaging the transmission. I have heard of automatics going bad (dryout of seals mostly) from disuse, but as far as I know a manual gearbox (provided it's not in a terribly humid or corrosive environment) is not damaged by prolonged dis-use.

Academic question really since you can hardly use the engine without using the transmission, but, us car geeks, we want to know...
It has to do with weather effects (ozone) on rubber seals. Also there is the large issue of lubrication or the lack thereof at start up. This affect both engine and transmission the same since every start up is the same as about 500 miles of hard wear on all parts of the engine/tranny.

These reasons are why that "little old lady that never drove her car very far" cream puff almost always have sudden repairs when a different owner drives it every day for a normal ,or long, distance. The car may "look" ok but in fact it has been abused badly by not being driven.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,547 times
I am a senior citizen and drive my car very short distances, maybe three times a week-- Maybe four---I only drive locally , less then a couple of miles for necessities... A mechanic put on a battery tender---Checked out my car thoroughly-- battery and all functions working well---Battery less then two years old--- Was that the right thing to do?--I am getting all kinds of advice after the fact... I told the mechanic to install a new battery but he said the same thing would happen again if I use the car so infrequently---

Thanks, Ellen

Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen S. View Post
I am a senior citizen and drive my car very short distances, maybe three times a week-- Maybe four---I only drive locally , less then a couple of miles for necessities... A mechanic put on a battery tender---Checked out my car thoroughly-- battery and all functions working well---Battery less then two years old--- Was that the right thing to do?--I am getting all kinds of advice after the fact... I told the mechanic to install a new battery but he said the same thing would happen again if I use the car so infrequently---

Thanks, Ellen
The problem you're having is that the car isn't being operated long enough to fully charge the battery each time you start the car. The battery tender will help with that. Although the problems may never manifest, you're not getting the engine hot enough to get rid of the condensation that forms in oil.

You are that "little old lady" referred to earlier.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Maybe not running the motor for extended periods of time is not good for it, but I have never had any problems with some of my vehicles. For example, a 1981 F-150 with a 300-inline motor and manual transmission. It is parked in the backyard from October through April on the following year. Have done the same with this vehicle since I bought it back in 1990.

Now, it's possible that because I don't drive it more than 2,000 to maybe 3,000 miles each year it makes no difference to the motor. Here is what I do each:

a. In April I install the fully charged battery on the truck, start the motor to let it warm up, and change the oil and filter

b. Check all the fluids, and replace or add as needed. Also grease the joints and other components as needed

c. Drive the truck a couple of times in May and june, and then again in September during moose season

d. At the end of September I park the truck in the back, add Stabyl to the fuel in both tanks, run the motor until I notice the smell of burned Stabyl from the exhaust pipe

e. At this point I remove the battery and take it to the garage, where I connect it to a battery maintainer

For the two ATV's parker in the garage I basically do the same, except when starting their motors during the summer. In this case I turn the motor a few times manually (not using the starter) by pulling the rope starter with the ignition switch off. Then I turn the key and start the motor with the starter switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive