Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

I have a Ford Edge and consider the thing a station wagon. It sure as Hell functions as one and the only difference from a traditional wagon is styling.

That Ford Flex looks like a wagon to me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Yeah the flex is definitely a wagon. Love wagons, drive a 2002 taurus wagon. Grew up with the olds vista cruiser, 1974? I think. And a pontiac safari wagon, and the chevy malibu wagon.
I wish American companies still made wagons. Never liked the mini vans or the SUVs. I do not like the fuel economy of the 4WD, don't need it.
I wish they still made the focus wagon, I bought the focus after they dropped the wagon unfortunately
Hyundai also makes that touring which is kinda cute. Mazda used to make that mazda6 sportwagon.
I will have to go euro to get a station wagon?
Face it, they don't make wagons anymore because that would cut into their SUV market on which they make lots more $$$$.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Face it, they don't make wagons anymore because that would cut into their SUV market on which they make lots more $$$$.
99% of the time I get answer - SUV is "safer" from general US crowd. So original intent to sell vehicles with higher profit margin, is achieved by playing "safety" card. Smart, hard to argue with that :)

Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
My grandfather would take us to get ice cream every Sunday in his 1957 Ford Galaxie Wagon. Same color as this one....

http://www.motorcitygalaxieclub.com/images/mcgc_galaxie_gatherings/ggn31/vermeerschs_1957_ranch_wagon_2dsw_ggn31.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-17-2011 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
I bought a new Mazda 6 wagon with a V6/5-speed back in '05. Kept it for a few years but traded it for a Volvo XC90 Sport when my Mazda dealer couldn't resolve a persistent clutch issue. Nice car, though. It could really haul a lot of stuff.

It felt like a tin can compared to the Volvo, however. I had an XC70 as a loaner recently and it was ok. Not sure if I would purchase one, though.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
99% of the time I get answer - SUV is "safer" from general US crowd. So original intent to sell vehicles with higher profit margin, is achieved by playing "safety" card. Smart, hard to argue with that
This is one of the biggest myths out there. You're more likely to rollover violently and sustain major or fatal injuries in a SUV than in a sedan or wagon. Are S.U.V.'s More Dangerous Than Minivans? - NYTimes.com

I currently own a Mazda5, which is the closest thing that I have seen to a station wagon, but with 3 rows of seats. It is even considered a passenger car by the US EPA.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I have a Ford Edge and consider the thing a station wagon. It sure as Hell functions as one and the only difference from a traditional wagon is styling.

That Ford Flex looks like a wagon to me too.
There aren't many new cars I like (that you can get in America), but I kind of like the Edge. Though as far as I can tell you can't get one with a manual transmission, which kills it for me.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
Good points on CAFE as a reason and I agree that it's a factor, but I disagree that it has nothing to do with what people wanted to buy. Take the Subaru Outback for example: Up until the 2009 model, it was very much a station wagon and sort of a niche product. Since the 2010 redesign into a typical crossover though, sales have skyrocketed and soccer moms all over the country are driving them now.
My point about not being about what people wanted, was really directed at the time frame of the original introduction of the standards back in the 70's. Since that time, marketing to a large extent has made the wagon "uncool" because automakers didn't want to build them since they couldn't easily accomodate large wagons within the standards for the car fleet. Suddenly all the commercials were about families driving minivans and then SUV's.

If anything with the changing standards and rising fuel prices, I actually see the possibility for a wagon resurgence. In fact, there sort of already is one going on as a large number of "crossovers" are decidedly wagonesque.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Isn't a car-based crossover just a variation on the wagon theme? Also, when does a car stop being a hatchback and start being a wagon? The only difference I can see is the length of the cargo area. I can see that a truck-based SUV isn't really the same, but it does serve largely the same purpose. I think if the OEM's were to put out some interesting wagons, the SUV market would drop off some.

Does Holden make one in the Commodore lineup? That would be interesting.

I have owned a mini-van, but I don't like them.

Holden sell the Commodore Sportswagon and the Holden Captiva SUV crossover.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 02-18-2011 at 07:33 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
They should come out with a limited run of CTS Sixteens then. I'm guessing/hoping the ATS line will be rwd. I'm surprised it has taken this long for Caddy to have another convertible. I'm sure by now they won't make the same mistakes they did with the Allante and XLR.

I do like wagons, but really there aren't too many I'd add to the stable. The ones I would want would be a real Woody, Nomad, hearse, and maybe the right 50s era hardtop. A Firebird or Vette wagon would be cool, but again I'd much rather a vert or coupe.

Last edited by The Continental; 02-18-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive