Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM

34 posts, read 61,214 times

Advertisements

Due to the nature of my work, I'll need a car to get around in San Francisco (though the public transportation there is great). Will be using it for the next 3-5 years; this will be my first car.

Parameters:

Budget: $10K up to $20K
Drivetrain: Possibly AWD for the rainy SF days, can anyone comment on its necessity?
Type: SUV, Sedan, or Coupe
Brands: Preferably used Acura/Infiniti/Lexus/Bimmer/Toyota/Honda/Nissan (open to input), anything reliable
Mileage: Preferably 50K or less

I understand this is pretty open-ended, but I don't have my heart set on anything yet. All advice/insight (not only into car choice, but tips for insurance, driving in SF, etc.) are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I'd get a TSX or Mini. Both are reliable & small enough to squeeze into parking spots. The Fit is also great & you can really stuff a lot in the back but the interior feels a bit cheap imho. I also like the Fiesta, but since it just came out late last yr finding used models will be difficult. Oh and there's the Golf. My friend loves hers but I'm a bit wary of VW's long-term reliability.

Oh and having lived for a couple months in winter in SF, you don't need AWD at all if you're just staying in the city and highways. SF isn't Boston lol

Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
You won't really need AWD in the Bay Area in general, but it doesn't hurt I suppose. If you're planning to be in the city (particularly downtown) often then expect to collect a good number of parking bruises. Smaller is generally better and will make parking a lot easier because parking garages tend to be expensive and not available in all parts of the city. I live in Daly City and generally hate driving in the city during the day but it's not so bad at night due to less traffic. If I was working downtown like I have in he past I'd generally take BART or MUNI and avoid the hassle of driving (and moving my car every two hours). I get a bit anal about paint blemishes and so I tend to have my rear and front bumpers resprayed every few years after collecting a good number of scratches (generally due to other people just not caring). A lot of the spaces are so tight that people will pull forward until they feel their bumpers make contact with yours and then do the same in reverse until they fit. I used to drive a Nissan 300ZX and it made parking so much easier than my current Infiniti G35 or BMW 530i sedans.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
With SF parking I would stick with a motorcycle.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
With SF parking I would stick with a motorcycle.
I wouldn't want to ride a motorcycle with SF's daily traffic conditions. People tend to drive like complete morons (particularly downtown) and the likelihood of getting hit is fairly high. Although parking would be significantly easier.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:49 PM

34 posts, read 61,214 times
Thanks everyone! I actually considered a motorcycle, but it's been ruled out due to the safety concerns (especially in SF, as someone mentioned).

As I mentioned, I'll have to have a car because of my work (traveling a lot to client sites, not to mention personal use). Because it's for a professional services firm, I want a car that's congruent with a professional image (like it or not, it makes a difference on perception). I'm thinking about a Acura TSX or '04 (last generation) Lexus IS - any opinions? I'm asking because I know they're considered slightly younger "kid" cars.

Was considering an SUV but a bit discouraged based on parking conditions in SF.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 AM

I think the TSX, G35/G37 (1st or 2nd gen), previous gen Acura TL (2004), etc would work quite well and be great to drive.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
You need fuel efficient, small, and handling. Some options to consider include Honda Fit, Mazda 3, Ford Fiesta, and Nissan Versa.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
With gas prices so high in SF.. I'd avoid AWD.. it sucks up some of the mileage. You won't really need it.. its no in the same league as Seatlle or Vancouver for rainfall.

I'd go small and reliable.. Honda Civic, Mazda 3.. here is a good place where I have sold and bought a car (in Oakland):
Cars for Sale - Buggy Bank

Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
One time I was dating a girl who was a student at UC Berkeley. Her car was a '94 M-Edition Miata. While a TSX or a even a Mini seems like a good car, but nothing like an even-lighter Miata (with the top down) driven in SF streets. It was almost like a good road course at a much relaxed pace. I downshifted often just so I could hear the throttle blips. The outbound bay bridge was an absolute bliss.

It was also quite small that parking was a breeze and it fit nicely in small alleys. Small-radius corners and U-turns ? No problem, the wheelbase was short and being a RWD the front wheels turn at a greater angle.

I have to imagine sometimes how my much-more-powerful Pontiac Solstice GXP would do in SF streets. Bet being sideways is much easier ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive