Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 AM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know there is political unrest in the Middle East; however, that region of the world was never known for being peaceful. Are we really that concerned that the uprising "might" spread to other countries, or is this purely speculation rising the prices? If it spread to other countries and affected their oil output, I would understand completely. While protests have spread, oil is churning out of the region as usual. Saudi Arabia says it will ramp up production to make up for Libya's problems. So in reality oil production has not been affected enough (or at all) to warrant the rise in gas prices.

If I recall, gas was not this high when BP had it's fiasco in the Gulf of Mexico, yet I'm sure more oil that affects us (Libya exports a negligible amount of oil to America), in that situation than this. What's really going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
I posted this in another oil price thread:

Because it can. Because someone decided it should go up and down. Because months ago someone speculated that it would go up, or down, or whatever causes it to change. Because the people who own the oil that gas comes from know they can get what they want. Etc., etc., etc....

You'll notice that none of these reasons have anything to do with the actual cost of producing gas.

"Analysts" have said gas will likely top out at $4/gal. I'm sure there are plenty of analysts who said otherwise, but for whatever reason they received no attention. And how can "analysts" predict an event, when the supposed history of that event is based on nothing more than speculation and manipulation? This isn't the weather. There are no computer models for defining what a few people will decide to do.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Default Why are gas prices going up now?

So that Wall St speculators can clean up at the expense of the public. Same as always.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,306 times
I'm surprised it's not higher, LOL.

Hell, if I was a major speculator, I would have made the world pay even more for gasoline ...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
So that Wall St speculators can clean up at the expense of the public. Same as always.
Once again... futures is a zero-sum game. In every futures contract there is a winner on one side of the ledger and a loser on the other. That does not change whether the spot price for oil is $10 a barrel or $1,000 a barrel. For every speculator who just made a fortune, another is about to lose everything he has. What's more, fortunes can be made in futures speculation whether you bet higher or bet lower. So "speculators" as a group don't just sit around hoping the the price of a given commodity goes up. Only half of them do. The other half hopes the price goes down.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Yes, I know there is political unrest in the Middle East; however, that region of the world was never known for being peaceful. Are we really that concerned that the uprising "might" spread to other countries, or is this purely speculation rising the prices? If it spread to other countries and affected their oil output, I would understand completely. While protests have spread, oil is churning out of the region as usual. Saudi Arabia says it will ramp up production to make up for Libya's problems. So in reality oil production has not been affected enough (or at all) to warrant the rise in gas prices.

If I recall, gas was not this high when BP had it's fiasco in the Gulf of Mexico, yet I'm sure more oil that affects us (Libya exports a negligible amount of oil to America), in that situation than this. What's really going on?
Libya is a massive exporter of high grade oil, suitable for the production of gasoline, diesel and so forth, Saudi Arabias crude oil doesn't hold anywhere near the same standard, and can't replace the oil supplied from Libya.

That reduction in supply of high grade "crude" causes a "fear" in the market of impeding fuel shortage, which drives up the prices roughly 10%.

Once the situation stabilize somewhat there will probably be a slow decline back to a lover level, but I'd expect it to remain at least a little over $3 /gallon for a year or so.

I also doubt it'll go much, if any above $4 /gallon.

Taking avg driving distance into account and a pretty avg car (25-30mpg) we talking $60-80 more a month, not exactly the biggest expense in the world, most people can knock that out of their budget by not buying fastfood and Starbucks.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Taking avg driving distance into account and a pretty avg car (25-30mpg) we talking $60-80 more a month, not exactly the biggest expense in the world, most people can knock that out of their budget by not buying fastfood and Starbucks.
What it does not take into account is how the fuel price increase permeates EVERYTHING that we buy. The price of fuel to fill one's automobile is the least of our problems when fuel prices explode--it's just the one that's directly visible to our feckless public. The real increase in energy costs is buried in everything else we buy--and that is the bite that is really going to hurt us.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
The major worry now is if thsi ubrest will spend to other middle easter ****ries that produce alot more than the 2% of Libya like the sauidi's. Thinkigthat the 70's embargo and its shortages was caused by a 15% reduction says what could happen .If it does we are also unlikely to see domestic production rise as it did then also for several reasons learned that time.One always has to remember whether a filling sattio the rpice rise on what it cost to replace the gasoline itheir tanks not hwat the new price will be.It also goes down that way which is hard o nstatons deali gi gasoline.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The major worry now is if thsi ubrest will spend to other middle easter ****ries that produce alot more than the 2% of Libya like the sauidi's. Thinkigthat the 70's embargo and its shortages was caused by a 15% reduction says what could happen .If it does we are also unlikely to see domestic production rise as it did then also for several reasons learned that time.One always has to remember whether a filling sattio the rpice rise on what it cost to replace the gasoline itheir tanks not hwat the new price will be.It also goes down that way which is hard o nstatons deali gi gasoline.
LOL @ auto-censor blotting out comical misspelling of "countries"

Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times
Default Why are gas prices going up now?

And why does Chicago have the highest gas prices in the country? ($3.65 a week ago.) It's not like gasoline has to be trucked over high mountains along narrow two-lane roads to get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive