Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There was a large recall on Escapes from 2001-2003 for this issue. It was tied to a faulty PCM (powertrain control module) that was replaced under the campaign. There are a couple things that are the most likely cause:

1. Your PCM is faulty and it is causing the car to shut off. Cycling the key off and on, resets it and you are good to go.

2. There is a small issue with certain models where wires from the MAF can rub through and cause a short. This often results in a blown fuse, but can just cause the PCM to temporarily short out.

3. Your battery could be going bad or has a loose connection. This will cause issues with the PCM and immobilizer system as well. Check the battery and ensure the connections are clean and secure.

4. The immobilizer system on older Ford vehicles is a known trouble spot. You may need to have the antenna in the steering column replaced. Bascially every once in a while the car will randomly think the key was pulled and shut itself off. Cycling the key fixes the issue.
Excellent answer . Its easy to tell you know your stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 PM

460 posts, read 3,546,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Thanks everyone! I had to postpone my visit to the mechanic until tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing too serious! (BTW, I bought my Escape used about 5 years ago. It has 115k miles on it now and this is the first issue I've ever had with it.)

115K on modern cars ('90 on up) is nothing as long as oil chnges are done and you check oil level to make sure you're not too low or high. I'm on my third 1st generation Eclipse ('90-94's) and all ran over 170K mi. My current one is a '93 and has 173,000 mi, runs + idles smooth as silk, is turbo charged probably with the original turbo, I drive it hard enough, and engine compression is still very strong. I use full synthetic high mileage oil (mobile 1) and change every 3500-5000 mi and check oil level about once a week. Transmissions on modern cars also generally hold up very well too just like engines.

A code reader is well worth it's money ($30-$50) and I put out $130 to get a scan tool so not only would I know what sensor a code is indicating but can see exactly what the sensor is doing. You don't need to be a car person at all with these items either. Just figure how much it costs to get any little thing diagnosed or fixed by a mechanic and the investment in them makes sense.

Here's a link to Amazon and well over 100 people there are really high on this particular scan tool which does much much more than just a code reader. A very good buy imo.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3130-Dia...5&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Last edited by tripod; 03-10-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM

460 posts, read 3,546,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There was a large recall on Escapes from 2001-2003 for this issue. It was tied to a faulty PCM (powertrain control module) that was replaced under the campaign. There are a couple things that are the most likely cause:

1. Your PCM is faulty and it is causing the car to shut off. Cycling the key off and on, resets it and you are good to go.

2. There is a small issue with certain models where wires from the MAF can rub through and cause a short. This often results in a blown fuse, but can just cause the PCM to temporarily short out.

3. Your battery could be going bad or has a loose connection. This will cause issues with the PCM and immobilizer system as well. Check the battery and ensure the connections are clean and secure.

4. The immobilizer system on older Ford vehicles is a known trouble spot. You may need to have the antenna in the steering column replaced. Bascially every once in a while the car will randomly think the key was pulled and shut itself off. Cycling the key fixes the issue.

That's good info and exactly the kind of detailed info that anybody with ANY make or moel car can find out these days by searching out forums that are dedicated to their particular car

Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times

2004 Ford Escape User Reviews - MSN Autos[]
Con
I have had some problems with starting the car. It seems to short out when I go to start it. It's like I tried to start it too quick. Can't seem to find the problem. Someone suggested it could be the insides of the master key? Doesn't happen to often, but enough that I brought it to the dealer and had them see if it would do it for them, but nothing. The other thing is the radio system isn't all that great. Could be better. Seems to die out in certain area's or not come into clear, Ford could have made some kind of stronger anttena system

We bought it brand new and have had four major repairs in two years: Lights have stopped working 3 times, alternator broke and was replaced, accelator was recalled and had to be replaced and the gas tank fuel sensor stopped working and was replaced.

After only having mine for about 11 months my alternator went out, ok no problem those things happen... then.. 3 months later fuel pump went out and i had been hearing a rattle in the front end which ended up being a bad control arm so replaced both of those... still though, eh things happen.... THE... 4 months after that it started jerking really bad while idling turns out needed a new vaccum hose and timing sensor reset... fixed that. At this point Im getting irritated and NOW again its making a funny noise in the front end[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive