Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 03:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Does it matter on the type of glass you purchase? I've noticed the factory glass your car comes with tends to last longer than the ones most replacement glass companies provide. Is it worth going to the dealership and ordering a replacement windshield or does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:02 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
In some cases, like LOF/Pilkington and PPG, they provide both the aftermarket and the OEM, so there shouldn't be any difference in quality. Some replacement glass is just sourced from whomever can do it the cheapest (including imported), so yeah, do ask the installer what they're using.

Using the dealer would end up with someone that should be better skilled, but you will be paying a dealer price too.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Often insurance companies will refer you to a shop that may waive the co-charge.
Watch and make sure you get a comparable windshield as far as tint and shade.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM

83 posts, read 340,031 times
yeah, are you doing this through insurance? rarely do they cover windshield work at a dealer. they'll send you off to a shop which will cost them the least amount of money.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
If you go to a dealer, they will either be outsourcing it or having a mobile guy come in to install it and then they will simply bill you an upcharge. Find a reputable glass shop or mobile service (Safelite is a good one) and they will be able to give you both OEM and aftermarket options.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
If you go to a dealer, they will either be outsourcing it or having a mobile guy come in to install it and then they will simply bill you an upcharge. Find a reputable glass shop or mobile service (Safelite is a good one) and they will be able to give you both OEM and aftermarket options.
When I worked for GM we always used an outside vendor for windshield replacement. We got a dealer discount and were able to sell the job for the same price as if we did it in house. We made a profit and did not have to tie up one of our mechanics.

My son just had his windshield on his BMW replaced by Safelite and they used factory BMW glass because it was cheaper than their own Safelite glass (go figure)

Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 23,184 times
It's really personal preference when it comes to "Honda" or "Toyota" brand glass. Stay away from Crinamex glass, it really is of cheap quality. Stick with PPG or your name brand glass. And yes, some glass shops CAN get the name brand, make sure you ask. They are in it to make money too, therefore they want to buy the cheapest glass they can..so they won't suggest you put a Carlite glass back into your Ford. I used to work at a glass place.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Safelite is NOT a good option, if you want I can email you pictures of my safelite glass that was full of air bubbles after 1 year, this was their "better than oem" they sold me haha

Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I've seen horror stories from all of them, including OEM replacement glass. I'm guessing you pursued it with them through their warranty process? Should have been an easy case of material defect that would have fallen under their lifetime warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive